Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Egg Question

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen this discussion before (and think I actually saw Earl doing this at EGGtoberfest but didn't pay attention), but I need to adjust the top band on the little fellar. The dome sits perfect in from but the back is up over a 1/4". It looks like the top band has slipped. It looks simple enough to just loosen the bolt and then retighten it but I'm afraid when I do that it will just ride right back up to the same spot. Any ideas?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Be aware that the bolt will 90% of the time (or more often) break as you try to back the nut off. Look at the bolt and see if it is bent slightly. It so, it will snap as you back off the nut so you want another ready. It could be that the nut was never on tight enough to begin with and tightening will be the fix you need. [p]Tim
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I did exactly what you're talking about to my medium this weekend. I had to replace the gasket and while I was messing with taking the old one off, I noticed about a 1/4 inch gap on the back portion of the dome. I reinstalled the new gasket to the top and bottom, then I set lid down. I then loosened the top and bottom bolts of the band and I could see the gap disappear, nice flush fit. I tightened the bolts carefully and it stayed right where I put it. The bands are tight and the dome has not moved at all in the new position. I've heard of bolts breaking when you mess with them, not a problem with me this weekend. I made sure they were good and tight so as not to lose the dome one time when I open the lid. It fits perfect now. My egg is happy happy with the new felt, much easier to control temp now. Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Wise One
    Options
    sprinter and Tim M,
    thanks for the feedback. I'll try to back it down tonight and see if I can reuse the bolt (I have a spare). It seems pretty tight but I'll loosen it enough to reposition the dome and then try retightening it.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Wise One,[p] Your right, with the mini that was supplied by the Egg folks, I did have to replace the bolts on both sides. Fortunatly, they did bring a first aid kit, filled with all sorts of replacement sizes. All I had to do was remove the old ones, which, did break when I tried to remove them and the lid dropped right back in place. I found that the new hinge on the mini, was very tight at first, so by forcing the lid closed by pulling the handle down, it did force the rear part of the lid to open up somewhat.
    No mater what size of Egg you have, replacement bolts should be kept on hand just in case. As Tim mentioned, they will break 90% of the time when some adjusting is done.[p]Earl

• Wise One
    Options
    Earl, I loosened the bolts last night an dthe dome dropped right in place. However when I tightened it up again, it rose up about an 1/8" or so. It still is visible and I'm afraid that as I pull on the handle it will get worse. I was thinking about drilling a hole through the band and into the dome. Then, thread the hole and insert a short machine screw to secure the band where I wanted it so it wouldn't slip when I tightened it down. Am I just asking for trouble?

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Wise One,
    Hi Bill, I had thought about doing the hole and screw thing on a big EGG that band kept sliding up when socking down on bolts.I emailed C~W and asked his opinion, he said he'd study on it,maybe he's got an idea or two. Someones post awhile back said that one of the higher ups at BGE mentioned doing something like that on some upcoming fixes.Bob