Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin, TX - Need Recs

Options
Hey y'all,

I'm headed to Austin, TX next week for work.  I really want to eat some great brisket while I'm there, but since I'll be tied up working most of the time I won't have time to wait in the lines at Franklin or La Barbecue... Sad.

I figured the eggheads would have the low down on all the good spots, so what's the best place to eat BBQ in Austin at lunch where I won't have to wait in line all morning?

Thanks
Large BGE - Nashville, TN

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    You could pay someone to stand in line at franklins... might be a stretch for uber eats though? Just a thought (sorry to give completely unhelpful advice, I just couldn't resist)
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    BTW- last time I was at La Barbeque (granted in Dec '16) there was no line when they opened at 11 AM.  But I understand they are moving so things may be different.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    There will be a line at Valentina's, but only about 30 minutes or so and totally worth it. All outdoors at this point, looks like they're still the better part of a year away from renovating and moving into their storefront.

What part of town will you be staying/working in?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Looks like you aren't the only one getting out of town. Hate it for Ol Miss and The league. Sorry, no help on the brisky.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can walk up and eat anywhere within 20-30 min during the week (not Franklin, but all the other good ones). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What part of town will be during work? Also- Valentina's and Styles Switch do dinner service I believe. 
  • Nashville_Egger
    Options
    What part of town will be during work? Also- Valentina's and Styles Switch do dinner service I believe. 
    I'll be in the downtown/university area.  How's Freedmans?  I saw that they do dinner service.  It it was included on the 50 best map posted earlier.  I feel like that might be my best bet.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll be in the downtown/university area.  How's Freedmans?  I saw that they do dinner service.  It it was included on the 50 best map posted earlier.  I feel like that might be my best bet.
    I've heard it's great but I've still never been. You are also pretty close to LA Barbecue and Mickelthwait, and Franklin's for that matter. They are all within a few blocks of each other on the east side of I-35. That is 5 minutes from Campus. 

Our favorite place close to where you will be is actually a contemporary Indian food place called The Clay Pit. If you like Indian food or you aren't sure, go there for lunch or dinner one day. You can't live on brisket alone. And don't forget TexMex. It's better than BBQ but you need to get your licks in on Brisket while you are here for sure. 
  • Nashville_Egger
    Options
    I've heard it's great but I've still never been. You are also pretty close to LA Barbecue and Mickelthwait, and Franklin's for that matter. They are all within a few blocks of each other on the east side of I-35. That is 5 minutes from Campus. 

Our favorite place close to where you will be is actually a contemporary Indian food place called The Clay Pit. If you like Indian food or you aren't sure, go there for lunch or dinner one day. You can't live on brisket alone. And don't forget TexMex. It's better than BBQ but you need to get your licks in on Brisket while you are here for sure. 
    Thanks!  I definitely plan on getting some good TexMex while I'm there.  Indian place sounds good too.