Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onlyfire is making a BGE Rotisserie

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    You need to factor your impulse buys into the cost of the Costco chickens.
    Anyone that can go into Costco with the sole intent of just walking out with a $5 rotisserie chicken is made of sterner stuff than I.
    I have.  But in all fairness, it's just because I stopped there for gas and needed some lazy protein source for dinner after a rough day at the salt mine.
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, Tim. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm far from a rotisserie nut and only use mine a couple of times per week, but I fail to understand those that are so opposed to the rotisserie.  It definitely has its advantages and its place in cooking.  The main thing I love about it is the "set it and forget it" advantage.  You don't have to flip your protein and try to cook each side evenly.  The rotisserie takes care of that for you.  It gives you very even, consistent cooking with very minimal effort.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hub said:
    I'm far from a rotisserie nut and only use mine a couple of times per week, but I fail to understand those that are so opposed to the rotisserie.  It definitely has its advantages and its place in cooking.  The main thing I love about it is the "set it and forget it" advantage.  You don't have to flip your protein and try to cook each side evenly.  The rotisserie takes care of that for you.  It gives you very even, consistent cooking with very minimal effort.
    A couple times a week puts you squarely in the rotisserie NUT category! I have no negative opinion of the rotisserie, but let's be real. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Hub said:
    It keeps wrapping up my probe cord  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hub said:
    @Hub  - I don't recall anyone who's posted so far in this thread being opposed to rotisserie.  You must be talking about posts in other threads. 

It's a legit tool, anyone who argues otherwise is living under a rock.  I mean, who hasn't seen rotisserie cooked food sold commercially - it's really one of the few fool-proof ways to do it in quantity.

There are plenty of cooking tools, all have advantages and disadvantages.
    Options
    what did I miss, are we talking rotisserieing nuts now?
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Oops .. that was a typo.  I use it a couple of times per MONTH.  I ain't fussing, but there are definitely anti-rotisserie folks here, and even the mothership has shown such.  I've never understood it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I have a Joetisseire for my BGE and I'll be honest since I bought a PBC, I will never do chicken on my egg again - it's amazing.

My Joetisserie now sit's in my garage (practically new) next to every un-needed item I've ever bought on a whim.
    I agree 100%.  My chicken cooks on the BGE were hit and miss.  After having the PBC for a year I decided to give chicken a try.  My wife says it's the only way I can cook chicken now, best she ever had.  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited July 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    You need to factor your impulse buys into the cost of the Costco chickens.
    Anyone that can go into Costco with the sole intent of just walking out with a $5 rotisserie chicken is made of sterner stuff than I.

Earlier this summer I went in for shampoo and one other small item that I can't even remember and came out with a Classic Joe for my son.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The Cajun Bandit reversible model on the 22 WSM for Indiana burn barrel chickens with wood, is awesome.  The chefs steps truss method is sound.  Raised direct is where it's at.  The BGE is a Swiss Army grill.

Karubecue'd poultry is up there too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hate all of you and the forum.  I had finally gotten over my desire for a PBC.  You are like crack dealers at rehab.

I thought rotisserie thread was a safe place.
    Snowflake...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I hate all of you and the forum.  I had finally gotten over my desire for a PBC.  You are like crack dealers at rehab.

$299 and free delivery.  What is that, two SRF briskets?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    DMW said:

Snowflake...
    I'm melting!!

Legume said:

$299 and free delivery.  What is that, two SRF briskets?
    Well, when you put it that way.  Hmmm, gonna go check out their website again.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I buy....must...have....rotisserie.....
  • westernbbq
    Options
    jdsmithii said:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LNNVFQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cliffs:  Onlyfire recently released a large BGE specific rotisserie, similar to the Joetisserie.  It is $129.99.
    thanks for posting Bro!  I would have never found this and am too lazy to make the cheapisserie so i just ordered this one

It would be super cool if they made one for xl....
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    $299 for a barrel smoker? Eff that. You should be able to pick up a barrel, rebar, grates, and build your own UDS for much cheaper than that. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Meh
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    $299 for a barrel smoker? Eff that. You should be able to pick up a barrel, rebar, grates, and build your own UDS for much cheaper than that. 
    Originally (and perhaps they still are I dunno), they were marketing the PBC as a set and forget kind of device. The only adjustment that needed to be made was a one time adjustment to the opening of the air vent at the bottom according to your altitude above sea level.

Once that was done all you had to do was light a whole basket of Kingsford (not lump!) with starter fluid, let the coals get ready, and then hang your meat, close the lid and just let the magic happen. No other user intervention required.

Over on another forum that has lots of PBC owners something I have noticed over the past year is that people are wanting to do mods so they can run the PBC hotter or cooler. They're adding adjustable vents to the lid. Some want to plug in devices like the FlameBoss so they can run/maintain specific temps.

Obviously folks can use/modify their grills however they wish but it does seem kinda funny (to me at least) that many folks buy a PBC and then just turn it into a regular UDS.

I understand that many folks have neither the time/talent/interest in wanting to make their own UDS. So when it comes to "off-the-shelf" UDS's the PBC @$299 isn't a bad deal, especially when one considers that Gateway sells their UDS (admittedly it's a 55 gallon drum rather than 30 like the PBC) for $800. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    Originally (and perhaps they still are I dunno), they were marketing the PBC as a set and forget kind of device. The only adjustment that needed to be made was a one time adjustment to the opening of the air vent at the bottom according to your altitude above sea level.

Once that was done all you had to do was light a whole basket of Kingsford (not lump!) with starter fluid, let the coals get ready, and then hang your meat, close the lid and just let the magic happen. No other user intervention required.

Over on another forum that has lots of PBC owners something I have noticed over the past year is that people are wanting to do mods so they can run the PBC hotter or cooler. They're adding adjustable vents to the lid. Some want to plug in devices like the FlameBoss so they can run/maintain specific temps.

Obviously folks can use/modify their grills however they wish but it does seem kinda funny (to me at least) that many folks buy a PBC and then just turn it into a regular UDS.

I understand that many folks have neither the time/talent/interest in wanting to make their own UDS. So when it comes to "off-the-shelf" UDS's the PBC @$299 isn't a bad deal, especially when one considers that Gateway sells their UDS (admittedly it's a 55 gallon drum rather than 30 like the PBC) for $800. 

Thank You! I couldn't have said it better ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    @SoCalTim  was curious if you sauce your ribs and chicken with it hanging or are you dry rubbing and spritz?  Please elaborate a little on technique with the PBC.  Thanks
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @SSQUAL612  I did spritz after the rub had set, thou you don't have to. I didn't sauce as the ribs were simply amazing on their own.

As far as chicken goes, the PBC is legendary for the chicken that comes off it, and I can't disagree - it's on par with spatchcocked chicken direct cooked off the egg.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Salmonegg
    Salmonegg Posts: 79
    Options
    Has anyone who ordered one of these tried it? I just got mine and the lid won't close when it's on - not even close. (Yes, I have it turned so the narrow part of the ring is at the back.) I have the old hinge and bands, though. Does it work with the new style?
  • Salmonegg
    Salmonegg Posts: 79
    Options
    *Bump* I emailed them over the weekend and haven't heard anything back, but I notice there's a comment on the Amazon product page indicating someone else's doesn't fit. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Salmonegg said:
    *Bump* I emailed them over the weekend and haven't heard anything back, but I notice there's a comment on the Amazon product page indicating someone else's doesn't fit. 
    Same issue here, tried it yesterday

Im going to keep it anyway and use it with an uncloseable lid...its how i used to .ake chicken on weber so i figure id take my chances on this one....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:

Thank You! I couldn't have said it better ...
    Tim,
    All your food photos from the PBC look great.
    With the 17.5" cooking grate, it seems like a stripped down Weber Smokey Mountain. Wouldn't hanging meat from the WSM be the same thing but more versatile? Is the PBC taller, is that what makes it more appealing?
    I guess the one temp setting on the PBC is great but if you dial in the WSM with no water pan and then leave the vents alone it would do same thing.
    The lower charcoal ring set up on the PBC looks just like WSM.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas