Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have experience with making gound beef jerky?

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Looking at trying this out.

Im not a big fan of the original jerky with full muscle meat, but I do like the stuff from a jerky cannon.

Any tips or tricks to share before I go deep?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    never tried the ground meat, but have you tried regular jerky in the egg, big difference than from a dehydrator. does have more moisture, less of a hard chew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I've made jerky with the jerky gun many times, and like it a lot. I get 90% lean ground bison meat at Costco. More expensive than beef but I like the flavor better. Mix it up with your favorite herb and spices and lay out strips on the dehydrator trays. Important not to make them too thick -- about ⅛" seems best. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I've made jerky with the jerky gun many times, and like it a lot. I get 90% lean ground bison meat at Costco. More expensive than beef but I like the flavor better. Mix it up with your favorite herb and spices and lay out strips on the dehydrator trays. Important not to make them too thick -- about ⅛" seems best. 

I have read a lot about seasoning the meat and letting it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Is it just to let the flavors come together?

Do you put cure in yours?

What temp do you cook them at in the dehydrator?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Some good info in this thread, I ended up making with ground meat and was happy.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190460/need-beef-jerky-suggestions/p1
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I have read a lot about seasoning the meat and letting it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Is it just to let the flavors come together?

Yes, I think the overnight (or at least a few hours) rest in the frig after mixing is really useful to let the flavors spread around.

I don't usually put cure in it but if I'm making it and don't expect it to all be eaten in a reasonable time I'll add ¼ tsp of Prague powder #1 per pound.

It really needs to be dried at high temperature for safety. My dehydrator goes to 165°F which is fine. I typically give it 12 hours, although less would probably be fine. If you can't dry it at that sort of temperature, then you can finish it off in the oven at 275°F for half an hour.
  • hondabbq
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    Some good info in this thread, I ended up making with ground meat and was happy.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190460/need-beef-jerky-suggestions/p1

Thanks for the link to the thread.

I was thinking of doing something like the chips if I didn't buy the jerky gun.

I was thinking of rolling it out and cutting strips. Might give that a run if I don't use a gun.

• hondabbq
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    hondabbq said:

Yes, I think the overnight (or at least a few hours) rest in the frig after mixing is really useful to let the flavors spread around.

I don't usually put cure in it but if I'm making it and don't expect it to all be eaten in a reasonable time I'll add ¼ tsp of Prague powder #1 per pound.

It really needs to be dried at high temperature for safety. My dehydrator goes to 165°F which is fine. I typically give it 12 hours, although less would probably be fine. If you can't dry it at that sort of temperature, then you can finish it off in the oven at 275°F for half an hour.

The dehydrator im looking at goes to 160, so even with the cure I know ill be ok.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just made 10 pounds of Jerky last weekend, but it was the whole-muscle type.  Did a wet cure this time, usually do dry.  Came out very tender.  Ended up with 4.4 pounds of finished jerky.

I think I'm going to buy the LEN Aluminum Jerky Cannon - not just for jerky, but also to fill stuffed pasta and the like.
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My brother uses ground deer, various Hi Mountain jerky cure offerings, a double barrel jerky gun, and Nesco round dehydrator.  It is all crack...so good.  Softer chew than any whole jerky I have done, dehydrator, WSM, or egg.

I've had the original, garlic pepper, terriyaki.  Original is my favorite if I had to pick one.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• hondabbq
    Options

Looks really good.

What brand of dehydrator is that?

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @hondabbq STX.  Bought a couple years ago.  Really happy with it.  I leave it out back - all the shelves and the drip tray go in the dishwasher, really very little effort to use other than loading it up.

https://www.amazon.com/STX-INTERNATIONAL-STX-DEH-1200W-XLS-Stainless-Dehydrator/dp/B007QCXU5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500571999&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=stainless+food+dehydrator&psc=1

Options
    I don't remember where I bought it...it wasn't Amazon, they didn't have the best price.
    Options
    I've got the LEM jerky cannon. Super easy to use. It has both flat and round tips, and you can do with casings or not. The one I got came with a couple seasoning packets to start with as an intro, but not sure if they all do.

@nolaegghead is on to something with the stuffed pasta... haven't thought about using it for anything other than jerky but don't see why it wouldn't work. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    HellrodKC said:
    I've got the LEM jerky cannon. Super easy to use. It has both flat and round tips, and you can do with casings or not. The one I got came with a couple seasoning packets to start with as an intro, but not sure if they all do.

@nolaegghead is on to something with the stuffed pasta... haven't thought about using it for anything other than jerky but don't see why it wouldn't work. 

You both are going to have to post that process up and the final product.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@nolaegghead how did you make your cure? and how do you judge doneness? I make my jerky with a food dehydrator and I feel like I always take it just past "shoe leather"

@hondabbq how's the consistency of jerky from the cannon? 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Indeed.  Many time's I've needed/wanted some viscous goop-injection tool.  I have a SS injector but it has a needle.  Injecting bread, pasta like manicotti, chicken breasts with cheese/prosciutto/mushroom glop, etc.  Seems like a 1.5 pound capacity tool that I'd really use for other stuff that I normally wouldn't have the tech to do.  I'm buying one today. 
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not ground beef, but I've made this jerky several times on my egg with success
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=211
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    RRP said:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=211
    ive made that one alot over the years. i think the ancient wiseone cookbook has the full recipe describing his mound method, makes jerkey in the egg alot easier
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    blind99 said:

@nolaegghead how did you make your cure? and how do you judge doneness? I make my jerky with a food dehydrator and I feel like I always take it just past "shoe leather"

@blind99 I usually use a dry cure and sprinkle it on like I'm making lasagna.  I used a wet cure in this last batch.  Weight and salt ratio is mostly what you need to worry about.

From memory, to cure 10 pounds of beef:  Freeze, cut on slicer.  Make the cure with a cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of Worcestershire,  few table spoons of fish sauce, and I think about 5 tablespoons of salt.  Added the normal amount of prague #1 mostly for color.  Then whatever you feel like with smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, etc.  I usually add some maresh and/or alleppo pepper because it's complex and not too hot.  Red pepper for heat.  And MSG because I'm a totally A-hole ;) (and it augments the umami in the fish sauce and soy).   Mix up well (this takes some work), let it sit in the fridge overnight. There is not much free liquid the next day.

Then dry at 150-155 F in the dehydrator until the thinnest pieces are very dry and the thicker ones aren't dry enough.  Bag it and let it sit and it equals out.  45-50% moisture loss from the meat weight is just about right for beef.  Will be less with venison. or leaner meats.

edited July 2017
    Options
    PS - I usually try to use lean beef (obviously) but a little fat isn't terrible, just impacts storage life.  I try to cut against the grain, but there are camps out there that go with the grain because they want to torture people by making a product that needs to act like a cud in an ungulate.
    edited July 2017
    Options
    PS PS - and for some heresy - I put in a couple ounces of applewood liquid smoke.  I didn't feel like throwing that much stuff on the egg, would have taken several batches, and in my opinion, just a little smoke is best with my palate.  I find the BGE doesn't do a good job dehydrating, maybe because it's higher than normal humidity, and the capacity to do 10 pounds of thinly sliced meat would make it take forever, and ain't nobody got time for dat!
    Options
    RRP said:
    heres the writeup with the mound method, bet i cook do it in a big fry basket

CERAMIC GRILL
    RECIPES
    BEEF/VENSION
    Page
    Directions:
    Marinade the beef (3
    -
    5 lbs sliced thin) at least 1 hour. I typically do it (12 hours) overnight.
    Smoke over low heat (dome temperature 160 to 180 degrees) until desired texture. It may
    take 12 or more hours. Turn it every couple of hours.
    The strips of beef are placed on the grill to create the mound
    -
    the grill is preheated to 160
    -
    180 using firebricks and drip pan
    -
    I let the mound cook for about 1¼ hours and flip the whole
    thing usin
    g a 2nd grid
    -
    then it cooks for another hour
    -
    after 2¼ hours I'll take it off the grill and
    start to separate all the pieces from the mound
    -
    as the day progresses, I'll use a pair of tongs to
    turn the jerky about every hour and make sure that all the p
    ieces get rotated.
    A lot of work for something that doesn't last very long
    --
    not because it won't keep, but it tastes
    so good! Try the marinade recipes on the following page as well.

fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Smarter, not harder.
    The egg is terrible at jerky temps.
    Nothing wrong with liquid smoke here, in my book.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• OhioEgger
    Options
    PS PS - and for some heresy - I put in a couple ounces of applewood liquid smoke. 
    Agree. Jerky is one of the few (IMHO) legitimate uses for liquid smoke. It definitely improves the product.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    blind99 said:

I haven't done it yet. Just in the planning stages for now.  I'm on holidays in 2 weeks so I'm sure a batch or 2 will happen then. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@nolaegghead thanks, great writeup.  yeah, the cud thing is spot on.  I've been cutting with the grain, thinking if I cut against it would fall apart.  shoe leather....  I'm fine with MSG... glutamate seems pretty natural to me.  and liquid smoke is just that.

I try to keep things pretty lean - the fat can get a bit rancid.  jerky is kind of disheartening with all the shrinkage.  but it's so tasty.

@hondabbq cool, post it up for us to see.  we'll all be ordering jerky cannons if it comes out well, like the lemmings we are

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    blind99 said:

like the lemmings we are

Amen to that.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have got to ask, is that a cat turd?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I only kid above ole buddy  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.