Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Construction Estimating Software OT

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
We are looking to upgrade our software. If any of you have experiences you would like to share or recommendations, I would love to hear them. 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    We use Sage Timberline for our accounting, project management and estimating. I don't know much about the estimating side.  I'm the controller and cfo.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• BGEFest
    BGEFest Posts: 8
    I also use the Sage Timberline system. It is a good system but can be expensive to maintain. We have a dedicated server to handle our Sage programs. Depends on size of your company.  The estimating software is Excel on steroids. The software is great because in connects the estimating department, accounting department and the field all in one program. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    RSMeans is the only way to go in my opinion.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    BGEFest said:
    I also use the Sage Timberline system. It is a good system but can be expensive to maintain. We have a dedicated server to handle our Sage programs. Depends on size of your company.  The estimating software is Excel on steroids. The software is great because in connects the estimating department, accounting department and the field all in one program. 
    Where are you located?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• BGEFest
    BGEFest Posts: 8
    Knoxville, TN.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Another Sage Timberline user here. I have no experience with any other software but Timberline works for us.  We also use on-screen takeoff in conjunction with it which is pretty awesome.   

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 76
    edited June 2023

When it comes to upgrading software, it's important to consider your specific needs and requirements. Here are a few suggestions to help you in the decision-making process:

1. Identify your needs: Evaluate your current software and determine what functionalities are lacking or could be improved. Make a list of features and capabilities that you require in the new software.

2. Research and compare options: Look for software solutions that align with your needs. Read reviews, check online forums, and seek recommendations from professionals in your industry who have experience with similar software. Consider factors such as user-friendliness, customer support, integration capabilities, and pricing.

3. Conduct demos and trials: Request demos or trial versions of the software you are considering for this construction takeoff

4. . This will allow you to test the features firsthand and determine if the software meets your expectations.

5. Consider scalability and flexibility: Choose software that can accommodate your future growth and adapt to evolving technology needs. Scalability and flexibility are important factors to ensure that the software can grow with your business.

6. Assess implementation and training: Evaluate the ease of implementation and the availability of training resources. Consider the level of support provided by the software vendor, including documentation, tutorials, and customer support.

7. Seek feedback from others: Reach out to professionals in your industry or colleagues who have experience with the software you are considering. Their firsthand experiences can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.

Remember, every business is unique, so the best software for one company may not be the best for another. Take your time to thoroughly evaluate your options and choose software that will effectively address your specific needs and contribute to the growth and success of your organization.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Not sure if the above was a joke or not since original question was from 2017, but it was hugely helpful as I am in the process of revamping an entire software suite.

Thank you for sharing 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Not sure if the above was a joke or not since original question was from 2017, but it was hugely helpful as I am in the process of revamping an entire software suite.

Thank you for sharing 
    Jonesy is a spambot.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited June 2023
    HeavyG said:

Thank you for sharing 
    Jonesy is a spambot.
    Well, in this instance, his spam was helpful.  I also never click links.

Although, feeling vindicated for my process because a spambot agreed might not be the vindication I thought it was.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    A lot of difference between heavy construction and residential construction. If it’s heavy, I would go with either B2W or HCSS.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 76
    edited July 2023

Does anyone know of a decent cost estimating program that doesn't cost a gazillon dollars?! I have surfed the net for weeks and have tried every garbage program out there Lumber Takeoff Services. They are either too confusing or focused on residential/commercial building, and remodeling. Can't seem to find anything focused on heavy construction priced reasonably under $1000.:beatsme

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    good ol' @jonessteave. Always there when you need him. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.