Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite rubs

2»

Comments

• Anything from Oakridge.
  • Cdm624
    Cdm624 Posts: 52
    No love for sucklebusters here I see. I enjoy just about everything they make plus Lane's, Four41 South and Meat Church

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Oakridge, DP, Plowboys Yardbird, and Char Crust Original round out the rotation.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    GrillSgt said:
    It's not Friday but I might as well start it up. I find most Dizzy P rubs to be overly salty. I was especially disappointed in the Jerk, I haven't ever made one that bad. Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin are pretty good. I bought a big order on special. Most of them have been tried only once.
    Agreed, except, I never liked any of them enough to call them a favorite, of those I have tried. Was not real high on either swamp venom or tsunami spin. In fact I gave them away with an old pellet grill I repaired last year.
    I bought all that was offered at the time, on line. Like @GrillSgt stated above used once, moved on.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    GrillSgt said:
    It's not Friday but I might as well start it up. I find most Dizzy P rubs to be overly salty. I was especially disappointed in the Jerk, I haven't ever made one that bad. Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin are pretty good. I bought a big order on special. Most of them have been tried only once.
    It is funny how each of our tastes differ so much.  I find the DP rubs to generally be lacking in salt.  But I love salt!!  Ha.

I am not a huge fan of Swamp Venom on it's own - maybe for some hotter wings but that is about it.  However, I love to put a light layer on ribs followed up by a savory rub like Head Country or Chupacabra and then a sweet rub like Rasta Joes.  Once I started layering the rubs on my ribs, the finished results were dramatically better.  At least for my family's tastes.
    XL BGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Meat Church and Oak Ridge. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    So many rubs to choose from........

Right now, I'm loving the Oakridge rubs.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express!
    LBGE
    Oakland, ME
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Dizzy Pigg, Meat church, Lane's, Sucklebuster's, Bad Byron's, The Shed, Bone sucking, John Henry, Caribeque, Hardcore Carnivore, Bruce @NoJokeSmoke and Kelly @EggObsessed "It's My Rub" 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    The Herbes de Provence came from Williams & Sonoma and was a gift; the rest we purchased. Enjoy the Dizzy Dust on pork tenderloin and Boston Butt. Just got the Classic Steak and it works great.

Interesting package for the Herbes de Provence. We use it sparingly on chicken.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Today's choices ,on the various cuts of turkey, are Shaking the Tree on the wings and breast and Mad Max Turkey on the separate thighs. Chose for the barbecue sauces that I had open. Now if I can just find the sauce brush?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @SamIAm2, et al, try the Herbes de Provence on pork (chops, loin, tenderloin) too, not just chicken. Great on both! A local spice shop has lavender too so I make my own.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    zatar seasoning is a staple on lamb and pork chops and fried breads or baked with oil on a pita
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    @SamIAm2, et al, try the Herbes de Provence on pork (chops, loin, tenderloin) too, not just chicken. Great on both! A local spice shop has lavender too so I make my own.
    Will do that next time we do pork tenderloin. Thanks for the tip!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.