Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slot dog? I don't need no stinkin' slot dog...

Options

A knife and 15 minutes of tedious cutting works just as well. 

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    15 Minutes?  I layout 4 dogs at a time, do 8 dogs in about 2 minutes

• WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    lwrehm said:

This was first time. Give me a break ok? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good. I used to do the same thing. I have a slotdog and use it quite a bit. I can do several packages of dogs in less than 5 minutes. It's a handy gadget if you use it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I dont even know wth ya'll are talkimg about. 

Little Rock, AR

• WDE86
    Options
    Looks good. I used to do the same thing. I have a slotdog and use it quite a bit. I can do several packages of dogs in less than 5 minutes. It's a handy gadget if you use it. 
    Yeah I was happy with the way they turned out. I bet I looked like a caveman starting a fire for the first time trying to get them cut right though. Lol. 
    And @lwrehm no hard feelings seriously. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I don't understand cutting them I thought one of the goals was getting them not to split when cooking. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Lit said:
    I don't understand cutting them I thought one of the goals was getting them not to split when cooking. 
    they lay flatter when cut deep enough. we used to buy them strung in a bundle, not flat in packages and they were really curvy. have heard though it helps hold condiments better per bite
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    never heard of a slot dog =)
    fukahwee maine

• WDE86
    Options
    Lit said:
    I don't think I'd do this every time for this reason alone. But the nice texture is nice to hold some spices and condiments. A good mix up for rare occasions in my opinion.  
  • Lit
    Options
    WDE86 said:
    Lit said:
    I don't think I'd do this every time for this reason alone. But the nice texture is nice to hold some spices and condiments. A good mix up for rare occasions in my opinion.  
    I will have to give it a try. I think I remember spiral cutting some years ago but don't remember the results. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I had never heard of the Slot Dog until I saw this post. Just googled it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    I had never heard of the Slot Dog until I saw this post. Just googled it. 

guess ive been doing it the hard way =)

fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great. The spiral dog hack is kinda fun and doesn't take too much time. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyieI2bxyIk

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    This is one of the reviews lol... looks more likely 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    lwrehm said:

That includes the time it took him to make his own knife.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've had a slot dog for months and it's awesome.  Very easy to use and clean.  The hot dogs have much more of a crisp, charred texture on the outer edges.  Whoever posted that review on Amazon didn't know what they were doing and were most likely using super cheap hot dogs.  It's a pretty difficult thing to screw up.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    This is you

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Lit
    Options
    It looks like the slot gives your wiener a little more girth and length
  • Lit
    Options
    Hub said:
    I've had a slot dog for months and it's awesome.  Very easy to use and clean.  The hot dogs have much more of a crisp, charred texture on the outer edges.  Whoever posted that review on Amazon didn't know what they were doing and were most likely using super cheap hot dogs.  It's a pretty difficult thing to screw up.
    You convinced me I need a slot dog it will be here for the weekend
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

I've had one about a year.  Kids love it!  Chilidogs are great so you can get more filler on top of the dog.  Plus, people who haven't seen it always stop and ask how you cut the hotdogs like that.  Then they ask about the taste since they were used to not splitting the casing, let 'em eat one, they'll love that charred taste  into the belly of the nitrate-infused meat missile.

And when you are done cutting your dogs, just tosee it on the upper rack of the dishwasher and you are good to go.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options

I've had one about a year.  Kids love it!  Chilidogs are great so you can get more filler on top of the dog.  Plus, people who haven't seen it always stop and ask how you cut the hotdogs like that.  Then they ask about the taste since they were used to not splitting the casing, let 'em eat one, they'll love that charred taste  into the belly of the nitrate-infused meat missile.

And when you are done cutting your dogs, just tosee it on the upper rack of the dishwasher and you are good to go.

Any type of dogs that are best to use it with? I'm intrigued.
  • Hub
    Options
    slovelad said:

Any type of dogs that are best to use it with? I'm intrigued.
    I know you didn't specifically ask me, but I love Hebrew National all beef dogs.  There are many great choices.  Just stay away from that dollar per pack store brand crap.
  • Hub
    Options
    Lit said:
    Hub said:

I think you will like it, but even if you don't, it's not the biggest investment of all time.
  • Lit
    Options
    Hub said:
    Lit said:
    Hub said:

I think you will like it, but even if you don't, it's not the biggest investment of all time.
    Man what brand are you using? I felt rich and got a couple packs of boars head and it won't cut the casings it just smoothed them. Still cooking them and stuck a couple in the freezer to try again but these are ugly expensive dogs.
  • Hub
    Options
    Hebrew National is always my go to.  I put the dogs on my Boos block and press down HARD with the slot dog.
  • Lit
    Options
    Hub said:
    Hebrew National is always my go to.  I put the dogs on my Boos block and press down HARD with the slot dog.
    Thanks those are my go to should have stuck with them. These casings are thick.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:
    Hub said:
    TWSS
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Options
    DMW said:
    Lit said:
    Hub said:
    TWSS
    I just stuffed 2 more in the mini...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    slovelad said:

You can tell he's a loser from that wedding band 
  • Lit
    Options
    slovelad said:

You can tell he's a loser from that wedding band 
    He boars head did the same thing his did. I think you have to stick with a tradition dog.