Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger seasoning

Options
2»

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    GaTraveller,

Where do you find that Uncle Chris stuff?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    The burgers are always more flavorful if you mix it in the meat rather than just on the outside.  SPOG or Montreal Steak. 
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    The burgers are always more flavorful if you mix it in the meat rather than just on the outside.  SPOG or Montreal Steak. 
    That's what I was thinking but it sounds like you have to throw them on pretty quickly after seasoning if you're not just applying to the outside. AmazingRibs did a study that said it pulls more moisture out if you mix it in, if I remember correctly 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Raising the Steaks when I have it. SPG when I don't 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I usually make mine with Meat Church Holy Cow or Bad Byrons Butt Rub.  Form the patties 24 hours in advance if I can, at least morning of.  Gives the rub time to "get" into the meat and enhance the flavor.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Can't go wrong with good ole lawyrs 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Equal parts:
    Lawry's Seasoned Salt
    Ground pepper
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder
    McCormick's Mesquite seasoning
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    tried a bunch and just love the S&P   stick with that now.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    I do like the seasoning mixture for the margaritaville burger clone recipe. I think the celery salt adds a good taste. 
    This is also in our shaker and labeled Cheeseburger in Paradise.   Another hit.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    I use my own TOPGUN All Purpose seasoning. 

8 parts ground black pepper
    3 parts kosher salt
    3 parts seasoned salt
    2 parts granulated garlic
    one part onion powder
    1 part paprika

Mixed into ground chuck with a bit of "W" sauce and as a final seasoning on the outside.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead and your lovely bride for finding me some more of this. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    That Fiesta stuff is money. I use their brisket rub sometimes. I call it my San Antonio brisket. Instant sellout when I do. 

I have have a great burger recipe that always goes over here, and it's cheap and easy. 70/30 ground beef, splash worchestshiresheer shauce generously, and two packets of French onion soup mix per 3 pounds of beef. The beef comes in a three pound chub, see what I did there? :) lotsa smoke and sear....  delicious!

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Before making patties, sprinkle with garlic salt and Montreal Steak seasoning.  Form the patties and apply a light coat of kosher salt on both sides.  Cook direct at about 350 with lid closed, flipping occasionally until internal temp is above 160. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Hub said:
    GaTraveller,

I have a buddy in San Antonio that sends it to me. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Hub said:
    GaTraveller,

I have a buddy in San Antonio that sends it to me. 
    Looks like Amazon has it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    im just salt only mixed in and on the burger. the hotdog thread got me thinking of heinz inside-out burgers though ;)

http://www.heinzketchup.com/Recipes/Heinz Inside-Out Burger
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    For the cheap frozen Costco ones I just do Montreal Steak seasoning. For actual hand made burgers I mix it up, but sometimes still do just the same. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    im just salt only mixed in and on the burger. the hotdog thread got me thinking of heinz inside-out burgers though ;)

I've never heard of it, but I gather you liked it?  When I followed your link, the combination with their burger sauce and caramelized onions sounded really good.  Did you do the sauce and grilled onions, or just the "Inside Out" burger?  They have two slightly different burger recipes, the Inside Out Burger and the Heinz Burger.  Have you tried both?

Thanks for mentioning this.  I don't usually put much stock in recipes from a company promoting their products, but for some reason this combination sounded like it might be good.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Burgers prepped w/ Dizzy Raise The Steaks as we speak. Egg smoking. Titos rolling. Quick run to DQ for desert??
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Theophan said:

I've never heard of it, but I gather you liked it?  When I followed your link, the combination with their burger sauce and caramelized onions sounded really good.  Did you do the sauce and grilled onions, or just the "Inside Out" burger?  They have two slightly different burger recipes, the Inside Out Burger and the Heinz Burger.  Have you tried both?

Thanks for mentioning this.  I don't usually put much stock in recipes from a company promoting their products, but for some reason this combination sounded like it might be good.
    have not tried it, looks like a meatloaf recipe without the fillers, looks good to me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Pour tomato juice over salted patties 90 mins before cooking, plain tomato juice

From the mortons cookbook

Incredible results
    OK , sounds interesting so I went looking for the recipe. (wife says I can't find a gallon of milk in an empty fridge) So like a T or 2 on top or more like marinating in it?
    I pour quite a bit over the burgers, then turn them over and pour more on them...they look like cabbage rolls that are marinating.   Its hard to use too much in this application

All i can say is that it works extremely well for tenderness, texture and theres no overly tomato-ey flavor on the burgers....
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options

I depart from the egg for burgers only because my gasser is an infra red charbroiler. I coat the patties in Canola oil and season with Webers steak rub(mostly SPGP from what I can tell).  One inch thick patties are 4 minutes/side on high and they are med.

I could do the same on the egg raised and direct at 400 probably, but I can sometimes be lazy.

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning. Hands down the best. Since you live in Cincy you can get it at their Oakley store.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dale's Sauce and garlic powder just before going on the grill OR
    sometimes, I'll mix in some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce with the meat before I make the patties. Might sound strange but they always end up tasty. Those are really my only two burger variations outside of salt and pepper. If you've got a really good source for the meat, it's hard to do anymore than that. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hub said:
    I really like Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub.  It's a peppery blend that makes burgers taste unbelievably good.
    I love that stuff on everything. It's awesome.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning. Hands down the best. Since you live in Cincy you can get it at their Oakley store.

I honestly didn't know this place existed! May have to make the trip out to Oakley this weekend. I usually get all of my spices from Colonel De's in Jungle Jims