Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Ribs over the weekend

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, since everyone else has posted about their ribs this weekend, I thought I's post about mine.[p]I cooked three racks on the medium, two racks of pork spares, one rack or beef end ribs. I got a chance to use the grid extender I got for Christmas, it works well. Its a bit of a hassle to turn the ribs but it's worth the effort to be able to cook so many ribs at a time.[p]I cooked them indirect at about 225 for about 7.5 to 8 houurs, did not do that intentionally but the wife orininally told me one time for the arrival of the guests, then it was changed to about 2 hours later. So, I shut down the temp a bit and let them cook slower. Worked well and the ribs did not dry out one bit. I basted them with sauce for the last 2 hours, every 20 minutes or so, with a sugary sauce that gets real thick and sticky as it cooks. Real finger lickers.[p]Hope everyone has a great weekend.[p]Troy

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, that sounds close to the skilled "ribmiester" method. Glad to see you doing it. Usually same method, but shorter time when done direct. Indirect you can get more time mileage. Do it again! Wonder where Lady Cat has gone?
    C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Hey CW, was just reading down the forum a bit (a litle spare time at work) and saw the thread that you had going about the thermometers. I RARELY use a thermometer, and dont own a Polder. I have an instant read deal that I've had for a hundred years and stick the meat occasionally to see where it stands. Heres all I have to say about it. I've NEVER been let down by the "touch and feel" of the meat but HAVE certainly been let down by a thermometer. Nuf Said on that, to each his own.[p]I've not tried direct ribs yet, may give it a shot soon. I'm real happy with the indirect method but would like to learn something new if I could.[p]Have not seen Cat in a LONG time, dunno know what's happened to her. I know I disappeared for a long time, just got caught up in work, she may be the same way. Its settled down a bit here but things are still crazy. Speaking of that, back to it.[p]Have a great week. I'm headed to CA on Wednesday, but will be back in time for the weekend, have plans on the egg.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, well, there are those that do, and those that don't and I guess to each his own. If its a benefit to the individual let it prevail. But one does outgrow the need for them, and for a new beginner, its a good way to learn to measure temperatures and time. [p]I rarely take mine out of the drawer for a long cook. I think Cat is deep into her own business venture right now. I wish her the very best for the future. It's rough out there.
    Good to hear from ya..!
    C~W