Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Options
BUCKSPERT
BUCKSPERT Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked hamburgers just about every way I know how. I'm looking for a new and improved way to cook them on the egg. Any ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Buckspert,[p] Are you looking for a different kind of burger or a better way because you haven't been happy with the ones you've made? HAve you made them on the BGE already? Little more info might be help us help you![p]MikeO
  • BUCKSPERT
    Options
    MikeO,
    Oh i've cooked them on the BGE, i'm just looking for new ways to do them. Marinate, things like that.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Buckspert,[p] OK. I tend to like my burgers a bit on the traditional side. One thing I will suggest if you don't already do it is to grind your own meat right before cooking. I usually get a nice chuck roast and put it through the KitchenAid, then throw the burgers on the BGE.[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Buckspert,
    One of my favorite ways is to slather the burger with cheap yellow mustard, a healthy coating of char crust, then 4 minutes a side at 400-450. Lay on some of your favorite bbq sauce...or ketchup...a thin slice of onion, and a slab of cheese. and dwell for about five. [p]CW got me goin on a similar version last year. Yum.[p]Been wanting to try a low slo smoked burger like the recipe in Smoke and Spice, but haven't gotten around to it. Also, if you haven't had fresh ground, you should try it, MikeO made some fresh ground burgers a few months ago that knocked my socks off.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Buckspert,[p]One of my all time favorite burgers is my blackened blue burger. I make the patties and cover them with a blackening seasoning. Get it at the store or make your own, Paul Prudholm sells some also or has a recipe in his cookbook. I can get it for you as its the one I use. Cook the burgers like you normally would. At the end of the cook put some swiss cheese on them and melt it and when its nearly melted put some blue cheese crumbles on them and melt it also. I've put the blue cheese on after they come off the grill also, either way works fine. Serve them with whatever condiments you serve burgers with, ketchup, mustard, mayo etc. These are great IMHO.[p]These are always a big hit at my house and 9 out of 10 times I cook burgers this is the way I cook them. Based on the pork burgers I had last weekend, my next effort is going to be blackened blue pork burgers. Cant wait.[p]Good luck, let me know if you try them and what you think of them.[p]Troy
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    sprinter, my own version of the blackened-bleu burger is to put bleu cheese into the meat before making it into patties. Then just cook as normal. Sometimes I'll put pieces of jalapeno (sp?) pepper in as well. Either way, a blackened-bleu burger is good.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Buckspert,[p]I agree with MikeO, the very best way to make a better hamburger is to start with the meat (grind it yourself - or have your meat provider grind a chuck roast for you). I pass the chuck (any slimy fat removed) through the large disk on the KitchenAid. Makes a nice chunky grind (chili grind) and results in a nice chew to the meat.[p]I also like to keep them simple. Minced onion, kosher salt, and some fresh cracked pepper. For some variety, you can add caraway seed, red pepper flakes, crushed fennel seed (small amount - strong flavor), ground chipotle pepper, a touch of dry white wine, or a touch of orange juice with small amount of crushed raisens. These are some of what I have tried and you need to use your imagination of what the finished burger will be. Lots of other possibilities.[p]I like my burger mix to be on the moist side. I add a egg to help bind the mix together. I never use bread crumbs - a bit of paper towel drys it quickly without the burnt crispness bread crumbs add. The burger will stick together better as it cooks. For my burgers (5/8-3/4" thick), I tend to favor cooking 5 minutes per side (direct on the grill) at 450°F with a dwell of 2 minutes. I add rendered bacon, a thin onion slice, and the cheese(s) prior to the dwell.[p]After the meat, the next biggest component of a hamburger is the bun. Egged homemade buns can be made just prior to the meat cook and the burger can be served while they are still nice and warm. I definitely encourage you to look into this possibility. Even if made the day before, homemade is much more better :-).[p]If you not willing to consider making your own rolls, consider changing the rolls you use. A club roll offers an elongated shape, which provides more meat to bread. Toasting the bread is nice.[p]Lots of room here to upgrade an American favorite.[p]Marinating a ground meat is a very quick marinade, as the time involved in the marinade process is needed only for the meat to absorb the marinade. Since the meat is ground up, the marinade has access to it throughout. The problem is you wind up with a very juicy meat to make a hamburger out of. Concentrate on dry flavorings to add something to the meat.[p]Spin[p][p]
  • Orio Kid
    Options
    Buckspert,
    My boss gave me this recipe and it turns out fairly nice for a change.
    Make your patties thin, ontop of one of the patties put a slice of pineapple andadd bbq sauce to the hole in the center of the pineapple. Cover that with another thin pattie and crimp the edges so that the meat is sealed.
    throw them on the grill and cook any way you like.
    Jake

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, your on the money on the temp zone. Burgers are best if nice and thick. 3/4 to 1 inch, but it takes a lower temp than steaks as you want to get those burgers "DONE" inside to over 160F. No Pink..!! Altho I like mine medium rare and risk it sometimes. But for the general public flat out well done is the cook. Ask McDonalds and Burger King...:-)
    Takes about 6 to 8 minutes per side and then Slo Mo em for another 10 minutes in near shut down mode. cracked vents top and bottom to minimum. Add cheese spreads the last minute or you will evaporate em. Big burgers. big buns and cole slaw! I lunched at a brand new Taco Bell for grins tonight for the first time to satisfy the wiffy ..and never going back...sigh! Fair to good but not extremely gratifying.
    C~W[p][p]

• Buckspert,[p]Someone on one of the forums posted this site and it has a bunch of good recipes. Might give you some ideas.[p]Old Dave[p]http://soar.berkeley.edu/recipes/burgers/indexall.html
    [ul][li]Burgers[/ul]