Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling to Texas in November

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Really enjoyed this Tempranillo from the THC. It goes great with savory and spicy food.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And Driftwood Vineyard's Longhorn Red (Cab/Syrah blend) is one of the favorite wines on the planet (although it has been several years since I've had it - but when I did it was at a big wine tasting with wines from all over the world and both SWMBO and I liked it best of all).

You could have a pretty great day on Sunday if you made your way back to Austin by going to Luckenbach followed by a stop at Real Ale, then a stop at Driftwood Vineyard in Driftwood, then a 1 minute drive to the Salt Lick. Salt Lick is not the best Q in the area, but it is pretty good.  And the atmosphere can't be beat.  It's in the middle of nowhere but don't be surprised if you wait an hour for a table because the acres of parking lot will be full.

What say ye @The Cen-Tex Smoker ?

Real Ale is great. Was just out there a few weeks ago for their birthday kegger. Good times had by all. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Wine from grapes grown in Texas?  Why not.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Wine from grapes grown in Texas?  Why not.
    I have found their blends are very good, and certainly on par with Spanish and Italian wines of excellent quality. Delicious wines are made everywhere these days. Texas wines are as yet, not as widely well known currently, but will be very soon. I have had a few that would easily rate in the 90s, even from the most strict ratings system. The Tempranillo I posted above, is as good, or better than any I have had in a very long time.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    2017 Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Places Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1ovrqzZDYCNNnB-1lEaAaE71xIRs&hl=en_US&ll=30.660795879870953,-98.91727094999999&z=6

Lots of these places have been mentioned already, but the map is a great tool to find other gems near you. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    Options
    2017 Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Places Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1ovrqzZDYCNNnB-1lEaAaE71xIRs&hl=en_US&ll=30.660795879870953,-98.91727094999999&z=6

Lots of these places have been mentioned already, but the map is a great tool to find other gems near you. 
    @HoustonEgger
    Thank you so much for the link. I will use it in the planning for the trip. I am very excited to be taking this vacation.
    I appreciate the help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the blends and Tempranillo being - in general - the way to go in Texas. The Tempranillo is apparently being grown in Texas near the New Mexico border by a lot of producers as it has been found to be a great place for it. 

As for blends, if you end up at Becker, get a bottle of their Prairie Rotie if you can. I'm not sure if it is widely available. I've never found it in a store. I just have a friend who gets it directly from Richard Becker. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @YukonRon. Pm me your address. I picked this up at the airport on my way out today. I'll drop it in the mail to you. Has a great map and descriptions of all the wineries. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    PM sent.
    Thank you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, I agree with the blends and Tempranillo being - in general - the way to go in Texas. The Tempranillo is apparently being grown in Texas near the New Mexico border by a lot of producers as it has been found to be a great place for it. 

As for blends, if you end up at Becker, get a bottle of their Prairie Rotie if you can. I'm not sure if it is widely available. I've never found it in a store. I just have a friend who gets it directly from Richard Becker. 
    Will do. The Tempranilla in Texas is a great wine, as it seems to be as good or better than most I have had from either Italy or Spain. It is a great blending varietal as well. 
    I am super enthused about hitting the wine trail, as my in laws and friends have turned me on to some surprisingly incredible wines.
    Looking forward to discovering new tastes.
    Appreciate the input and thank you so very much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I never thought about grapes being grown in Texas, but it makes sense.  A lot of heat and with the right micro climate you could probably grow some nice varietals.  On the other hand, I'm much better at drinking a good wine than I am at growing grapes.  I like a good Tempranillo, I may have to order some.
    Simi Valley, California
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I never thought about grapes being grown in Texas, but it makes sense.  A lot of heat and with the right micro climate you could probably grow some nice varietals.  On the other hand, I'm much better at drinking a good wine than I am at growing grapes.  I like a good Tempranillo, I may have to order some.
    Try and find the one I posted an image of. Let me know what you think. Everyone that I have spoken with, regarding that wine, has said great things about it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    One step ahead of you ;)  It's on the way.  I'll let you know what I think.  It's got to be better than the Trump wine I ordered.  Don't bother.
    Simi Valley, California
  • YukonRon
    Options
    One step ahead of you ;)  It's on the way.  I'll let you know what I think.  It's got to be better than the Trump wine I ordered.  Don't bother.
    Thank you for the heads up. Curious as to what you think. What year did you get?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I got the 2015 Hill Country.  Prices are a little steep but for a good wine it's worth it once in a while.
    Simi Valley, California
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Yeah, you will like it. Holds up well too. You can rack it for a few years, it will be no problem. TLOs have lasted 10 years, with zero issues as far as I know. Likely they ride much longer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Also- You must go have a beer at Luckenbach TX. You are 10 minutes away in F-Burg
    Make that a Lone Star
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    Options
    @Mickey
    Just one?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Mickey
    Just one?
    Well there a Lone Star, just what is expected
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    Options
    Will do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    This has stayed on topic for far too long 

• YukonRon
    Options

Did you see my new knife?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I bet it does a great job cutting t shirts  ;)
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I bet it does a great job cutting t shirts  ;)

Sleeves out of my work shirts

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Make plans to go to whataburger. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Drunk if possible. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YukonRon
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    Is there any other way B)
    @texaswig I will take My Beautiful Wife, as she has never been to one. I frequented them in So. Cal. when I was working on a project out in Anaheim Hills.
    Loved the food, long lines, had police directing traffic when they were open.
    Thank you for the input, as it is a sure thing for us to do while there.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Other places of note that I have not been yet-

Styles Switch (he's an acolyte of Louie Mueller bbq in Tayler. They are considered one of the founding fathers of TX bbq. He's one of the few that does dinner too. Most open at 11 and serve until sold out. 

I've heard good things about Freedman's too. Just haven't been. 

Of course Franklin is still the king but on a weekend, it's a 5-6 hour deal. A fun deal but I wouldn't recommend giving up your whole day for it. You can get close at all the others and be in and out in under an hour. Get on with your life.

**Not really a brisket kinda guy**
    But I have hit them all and for Overall BBQ Stiles Switch is my fav.
    I think La BBQ has the best Brisket
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And 

My friends started Real Ale in the early 90s.  Was there when the very first keg was tapped in their carport.  They sold it to its current owners in early 2000s and hes done great things.  My favorite now is by @The Cen-Tex Smoker and me- Infamous Brewery.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Foghorn said:
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And 

My friends started Real Ale in the early 90s.  Was there when the very first keg was tapped in their carport.  They sold it to its current owners in early 2000s and hes done great things.  My favorite now is by @The Cen-Tex Smoker and me- Infamous Brewery.
    Thank you for the information, love the background. We will add as much as we can, and I certainly appreciate your insight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky