Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Looking For Some Marketing Advice

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
 I am having some hats made up to promote my catering business, as shown in the first photo. My son told me that I should have some trucker style type made up to appeal to the younger crowd. So do I go with the the distressed look or standard?

Thanks

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Distressed for sure
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Distressed gets my vote 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Q is all about the smoke, sweat, and tears. Nothing nice and proper about it. I think the distressed mesh hat fits the personality of most bbq Joes.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Distressed
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Let your son make all the apparel choices. 

No offense...
  • CTMike
    Options

No offense...
    So I take that to mean you like the non-distressed version?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited July 2017
    Options
    CTMike said:

No offense...
    No. He was right about the trucker and I'm sure he picked the distressed version 
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:

No offense...
    No. He was right about the trucker and I'm sure he picked the distressed version 
    Actually I picked the distressed version, he feels I should go with the standard one since the logo is distressed. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Not the question you asked, but have you considered getting your logo embroidered on a patch?  Then you could have either hat made up, put them on a work shirt, beanie, etc.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Legume said:
    Not the question you asked, but have you considered getting your logo embroidered on a patch?  Then you could have either hat made up, put them on a work shirt, beanie, etc.
    I hadn't, I'll give that some thought. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

No offense...
    Actually I picked the distressed version, he feels I should go with the standard one since the logo is distressed. 
    I guess I gave your boy too much credit.  ;)
  • CTMike
    Options
    So it seems maybe two different style hats - the trucker style to appeal to the younger crowd at breweries, on the base, etc - and a standard type for the older, more affluent type that can afford to throw a catered party?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    Quite expensive for the small guy. 

Im a fan of the idea btw. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Those non-trucker hats are hot as hell. I guess you won't be wearing them at the ball field, but damn, they're hot. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    No vote here -but your above post hits the center of the business-
    Know yourself, know the competition and know the market.  
    I applaud your initiative to dive in and go for it.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I like distresed.
    The first paragraph of your Business Plan should provide the direction needed for image and perception you desire to project into your market. Stay true to your plan.
    Good luck.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I prefer the hat you already have made except that I prefer a flat brim.  I am not a fan of trucker hats at all. Just my .02
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Distressed
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I would do a top hat too.  They are going to make a come back.  Trust me.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Is that @nolaegghead's Topper? 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Is that @nolaegghead's Topper? 
    Here is @nolaegghead in his topper ...

• BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Another vote for distressed 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Patch would be neat, you sell the hats, but you can also use it on shirts to wear while you cater.  I'd recommend bowling shirts.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What about T shirts?  Some guys don't wear hats.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    I say non distressed. That's what the kids are wearing. You want your gear to be fly. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Non distressed, I will put some distress on it with use. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    For some reason SOME like the snapback flat bill caps. Another option is knit stocking/skull caps. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'll say all of this not knowing your budget so take it with a grain of salt:

Do a rope hate. The young'ns love some rope hats these days. And maybe mix up the colors a bit. A couple of male/nuetral options and an option or two for the ladies. 

Businesses that can brand themselves to people outside of their general demographic by merchandising can make a tremendous amount of $$$. I see 'Salt Life' stickers everywhere in the south. I'd guess that half of those people actually own anything else with Salt Life on it. Hat's, pocket tees, stickers, coozies, etc.

If you can produce an appealing logo that "looks" a certain way, a lot of people will automatically be introduced to your product just because they want to wear or use something with a cool logo on it. I see it all the time in college towns where YETI and Costa Del Mar stickers dominate back windows and coolers that aren't necessarily YETI coolers while they wear Ray-Bans or Oakley sunglasses. 

AND by the way, love the name: "Goin Deep BBQ" plays really well. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Legume said:
    Quite expensive for the small guy. 

Im a fan of the idea btw. 
    Branding is good, but when you start out in business, keeping costs low is essential. I would look at simple old fashioned and cheap promotions like leaflets before give aways.