Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap and Some Nuclear Temps

Options
So I made a rookie mistake. I changed a lot of variables at once. Thermometer, gasket, and Smokeware cap in exchange for the daisy wheel. 

Ive had 2 direct and one indirect cook so far. Went with wings and pork...figured those were safe learning eats. 

So far I have observed 1) opening the Smokeware cap all the way is like ripping the daisy wheel wide open. 2) It seems a lot more sensitive to movement. Moves on the daisy that would have bumped 20 degrees are swinging 100. 3) I have been tampering with the bottom more where I usually have it set in one place. 

Any advice on this nee trinket? So far I'm not committed to it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Smokeware cap is a daisy wheel equivalent.  Think exposed surface area.  Same with the bottom vent.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    To me, the openings on the daisy wheel and the SmokeWare cap are so very different that I can't imagine how to compare what would be a similar amount of changing a setting on one or the other.  I just had to get used to what the settings look like on the new cap, and it didn't seem like a big deal to me.  I've always adjusted both top and bottom vents (for low and slows, anyway), so I'm used to it.

FWIW, I really like the SmokeWare cap, bought a second one for my second Egg (I have a Medium and a Large), would never, ever go back to the DW.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Theophan said:
    To me, the openings on the daisy wheel and the SmokeWare cap are so very different that I can't imagine how to compare what would be a similar amount of changing a setting on one or the other.  I just had to get used to what the settings look like on the new cap, and it didn't seem like a big deal to me.  I've always adjusted both top and bottom vents (for low and slows, anyway), so I'm used to it.

FWIW, I really like the SmokeWare cap, bought a second one for my second Egg (I have a Medium and a Large), would never, ever go back to the DW.
    It's very simply inflow and outflow.  The atomic makeup of the components is irrelevant.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    FWIW, I have the original sliding Gen 1 DFMT, the Gen 2 DFMT with petals, and two Gen 1 and one Gen 2 Smokewares.

All I do to dial in temp on the way up for any cooker beside the KBQ, is use the draft door, bottom vents, to control airflow. 

Never had problems running 225 all the way up using all three.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I have not had that experience with mine, I find the control finer, but I don't make that big of adjustments either.  I also have the old style smokeware but I can't get over 450 deg with mine wide open and the bottom wide open.  if you are having those types of swings it will likely come down to practice.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Remember there are 3 (?) openings on the SmokeWare cap not just the one that is facing you.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far. 

One more thing...as I was adjusting the top the bottom kept spinning. Like the tape wasn't thick enough to keep the cap from shifting. I figured the metal swelled. 

Anyone else?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Here's a comparison of ugly daisy to the Smokeware cap.  The comparison was based on a version one cap, 'cuz that's all I had at the time.  With a version two cap and the tapered vent, the initial opening dimensions need to be doubled ... one inch opening would be equivalent to the petals fully open on ugly daisy.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177823/settings-daisy-wheel-to-smokeware-cap/p1

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Options

One more thing...as I was adjusting the top the bottom kept spinning. Like the tape wasn't thick enough to keep the cap from shifting. I figured the metal swelled. 

Anyone else?
    I put the tape on the neck of the egg instead of the inner part of the cap.  That allows for ease of cleaning the cap once in awhile.  Where you place the tape defines how tight the inner part of the cap is held in place ... lower is tighter.  Mine is about a quarter inch down on the egg's vent ... YMMV.

BTW ... having the tape on the egg allows me to change back-n-forth between the Smokeware cap and ugly daisy with the SmoBot "throttle" attached.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

Anyone else?
    I didn't use the tape at all. I have no problems with using the tape/felt ring that was already on my egg for the daisy. The bottom half of the SmokeWare cap doesn't spin on my large.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

Anyone else?
    Initially on my OLD Large, I had the tape too high up on the chimney and it was an issue... Moved it to the lower/wider part of the chimney (on the egg) and it's been working like a champ ever sense!!

Now, don't ask about my MM/Smokeware as that a is a bit of a different story.  Seems the rubberish gasket has "shrank" and it has a mind of it's own whether it decides to spin or not.

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Now, don't ask about my MM/Smokeware as that a is a bit of a different story.  Seems the rubberish gasket has "shrank" and it has a mind of it's own whether it decides to spin or not.

@The_Stache ... Take the outer top of the Smokeware cap off, reach inside the inner piece and press the adapter gasket down a little bit more ... that should tighten up the cap and keep it from moving.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

@The_Stache ... Take the outer top of the Smokeware cap off, reach inside the inner piece and press the adapter gasket down a little bit more ... that should tighten up the cap and keep
    Thanks!!!!  I'll give a try!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Abarnette
    Abarnette Posts: 49
    Options
    I have not had that experience with mine, I find the control finer, but I don't make that big of adjustments either.  I also have the old style smokeware but I can't get over 450 deg with mine wide open and the bottom wide open.  if you are having those types of swings it will likely come down to practice.
    I was wondering if i was the only one having trouble getting above 450. I am debating about putting the daisy wheel back on for pizza to help control the heat more than just the bottom vent.  What do you do for temperatures above 450?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Pull the top off if you're going above 350
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Abarnette I got mine figured out now. I can go from 200-700 quick and slow it down almost as fast as with the daisy wheel. 

It really just just took a little bit of a learning curve. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Abarnette
    Abarnette Posts: 49
    Options
    @Abarnette I got mine figured out now. I can go from 200-700 quick and slow it down almost as fast as with the daisy wheel. 

It really just just took a little bit of a learning curve. 
    so do you have any words of wisdom i deffinitley have no problem with low.  I also wonder if it has anything to do with it being an XL VS large or medium
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Abarnette leave your dome open longer before you lower it to dial in the temp. and let the pile of lump get hotter. It helps speed this up if you light in several places
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I don't own a SmokeWare cap, and I control temps with the bottom vent.  Can't see the daisy wheel or smokeware cap having much impact if the bottom vent is set right.  Just my experience and $0.02
    Couldn't agree more. I don't see the use of them. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I don't own a SmokeWare cap, and I control temps with the bottom vent.  Can't see the daisy wheel or smokeware cap having much impact if the bottom vent is set right.  Just my experience and $0.02
    I used to run my temps that way. I started messing around with the daisy pedals and I really like dialing in the temp that way. I've found that the bottom vent adjustment isn't nearly as critical as I used to think it was. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @tarheelmatt mine are out in the elements. I kept having rain storms putting my fire out. 

@Abarnette getting your lump in a ballpark place where you want it (50-75 degrees under) and shutting the lid makes a big difference like Lovelad said. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I only use the Smokeware cap to set my temps. I run with the bottom vent wide open and can get everything from 200 to nuclear just using the cap. 

I guess it is all in what you get used to.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @tarheelmatt mine are out in the elements. I kept having rain storms putting my fire out. 

@Abarnette getting your lump in a ballpark place where you want it (50-75 degrees under) and shutting the lid makes a big difference like Lovelad said. 
    I'm on a covered deck, so that helps. 

Though, just thinking about this, if running 250°, that top vent isn't open too much, plus the plate setter or indirect item is under the protein. Odd that that much rain comes in to put your fire out though. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I used to run my temps that way. I started messing around with the daisy pedals and I really like dialing in the temp that way. I've found that the bottom vent adjustment isn't nearly as critical as I used to think it was. 
    I consider the bottom to be be more macro adjustment and the daisy to be micro adjustment. 

Not sure the daisy is needed though at 350°and up. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options

I'm on a covered deck, so that helps. 

Though, just thinking about this, if running 250°, that top vent isn't open too much, plus the plate setter or indirect item is under the protein. Odd that that much rain comes in to put your fire out though. 
    That's the first one I've heard about. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @DoubleEgger @tarheelmatt it wasn't just rain. It was a prefect storm set up. 

My Egg used to sit under that corner of my pergola where that gutter is. 

i finally realized during heavy rains it was spitting over the edge and that wysteria was just letting it drop in for hours. So even after the rain stopped it kept dropping and holding humidity under that canopy. 

I finally moved everything further out. 

South of Nashville, TN