Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oyster Hetp

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We grilled two dozen oysters yesterday, and the results were thoroughly mixed. Most were delicious; a few managed to boil dry. Even more frustrating: first came off after about 5 minutes; the last took 12 to 13 minutes. It didn't seem to matter what size they were or where on the grill.[p]Any oyster lovers got any advice how to make cook time more uniform?[p]TIA
Ken

Comments

• BlueSmoke,[p]As someone who lives in the best oyster region of the country and has done it a lot on other grills, I think this is just about one of the hardest foods to "set and forget" there is. I really am not even sure you can do it. They just have to be watched. Small ones are going to be ready in a heartbeat. About the only way I've been able to slow the process is to put the smaller ones on a higher rack. Even that isn't fool proof.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    3ee1e5be.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,[p]I guess since I also like them raw, my way of thinking is that when grilling, I'm just trying to warm them up until they firm around the edge. They will finish cooking on the platter. (If some are under cooked, it's no big deal). Before grilling I do add a little butter, lemon, a snip of green onion and a drop of hot sauce. [p]b298785c.jpg[p]Sometimes it's hard to keep the likker in the shell, but if they start to dry up, a splash of white wine or beer works ok.[p]As far as timing, I just start the bigger ones first.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    When the edges start to curl, they're done.
    Bob

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    a squirt of lemon an a little hot sauce and thats cooked enough for me. never tried them heated up, are they good that way

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I remember an oyster roast on Kiawah a few years ago: they threw a wet chamois over the oysters spread out over an open fire and removed the whole tray in 5 minutes; quite good. Have fun.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hey Ken, hope all is well.[p]I just keep an eye on them. Some will be done before others, eat those first and thow some more on to replace them.
    Somtimes I'll toss them on closed and let them heat till the shells just start to open. I will then take them off and add stuff, if I'm in the mood, or just eat them as is.[p]Good luck!

Apollo Beach, FL