Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pearl Hot Dog

Options
The other day, I took an enjoyable drive through the countryside into Massachusetts to buy some 1/4 lb Pearl franks. Today, I finally had a momentary break from our weeklong rain so I thought I'd post my cook. I egged a 1/4 lb dog and added some onion, Gulden's mustard and topped it off with some homemade Pink's (a Los Angeles landmark hot dog joint) chili. I've also tried Chuck Lane's recipe for The Varsity (Atlanta) chili, but I like Pink's better.

Anyway, here ya go, with buttered and griddled New England Split Top buns. These things are about 7" long and the dogs are 1 1/4" in diameter. Good I didn't eat much else today... the dog alone was nearly half my daily sodium allotment! Then again, I haven't had one in about four years.

It was good. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Looks great. Add a nice stripe of low sodium catsup and it would be PERFECT!

Little Rock, AR

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That looks really terrific!
    Stillwater, MN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I see you put the ol @Photo Egg cross cut on that bad boy. Nice job Q.....you just can't beat a good chili hot dog.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • LindenEmry
    LindenEmry Posts: 48
    Options
    Great Job!  Looks very tasty!
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Pearl's are the best by far. I pick them up when visiting the Boston area from time to time. Wish I could get them locally.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Top shelf dogs right there. Most eggcellent.
    Last week I made a road-trip to the North Country of NYS.  (First time up there in 30+ years-a HS reunion trip) and had to have a few "Michigans."
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/what-is-the-michigan-hot-dog-new-york-state-adirondacks.html  Definitely some great groceries.  
    If close, and rolling thru, grab a few and enjoy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha, ketchup on a hot dog? that'll be the day! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options
    Put some nice sweet small cut slaw on that rascal.....up another notch.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ketchup makes everything better. Chicken, dogs, fries, tenderloin
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Put some nice sweet small cut slaw on that rascal.....up another notch.
    It has all it will ever have... or need. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That's disgusting. =) Fries maybe.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options
    I will put some ketchup on Maddie and see if it makes her better.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I will put some ketchup on Maddie and see if it makes her better.
    It will. She'll be too busy licking herself to be up to her no good antics. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man, after 4 years that must have been the best tasting chili dog on the planet. I have still not tried Pearls. One of these days. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looking good.  I have to find some of those buns.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... I've also tried Chuck Lane's recipe for The Varsity (Atlanta) chili, but I like Pink's better...
    Which Pink's clone did you use?  I've seen multiple versions of both Pink's and Varsity.  Haven't tried them, yet, but am thinking of doing so.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... I've also tried Chuck Lane's recipe for The Varsity (Atlanta) chili, but I like Pink's better...
    Which Pink's clone did you use?  I've seen multiple versions of both Pink's and Varsity.  Haven't tried them, yet, but am thinking of doing so.
    Just get the Varsity Chili in a can. You know it's all from the can anyway. 
    https://thevarsity.com/shop/home-products/varsity-chili-in-a-can.html

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I used this one. Next time, I may cut back on the flour a bit. Never been to Pink's so I don't know if it's accurate. 

http://www.noshcookbook.com/2013/06/pinks-hot-dogs-of-hollywood-chili-recipe.html

Here's another. Thought I might try it next time. The guy said he got the recipe from the above noshcookbook link, but they are different. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170862/pinks-hot-dog-chili-recipe-los-angeles#latest

Please post your thoughts and/or modifications if you try either.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Q, a good dog is hard to beat. It's fast, simple, and just plain good in my opinion. The lowly dog ranks up there as one of my all time favorite fast meals.  
    That aside, yours looks great ole buddy. Not to hijack, one of my very favorite combos is dogs and flat iron. They both can be cooked in under 3 minutes. Makes a heck of a combo. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Looks like yet another Egger that fires up the Egg for a single hot dog.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Vienna hot dogs are great around these parts. The Nathan's all beef aren't real bad either. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    The difference between Pearls and Nathans, Kayems, Ball Parks, Oscar Mayer or any other readily available dog I've ever seen is sheer size. They are HUGE! This is one of the Pearls (that haven't yet been frozen) next to a Kayem that I took out of the freezer just to pose for the pic. Both are natural casing dogs...
    If the other companies sell 1/4 pounders, I've never seen 'em. The Kayem might be a tad longer than an Oscar Mayer, but will fit on a standard bun. Pearl sells standard size dogs too, but I've never seen 'em. And besides, what fun is that ?! =)

Put another way, One 2.4 oz Kayem has 170 calories. One 4 oz Pearl has 300 calories!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The difference between Pearls and Nathans, Kayems, Ball Parks, Oscar Mayer or any other readily available dog I've ever seen is sheer size. They are HUGE! This is one of the Pearls (that haven't yet been frozen) next to a Kayem that I took out of the freezer just to pose for the pic. Both are natural casing dogs...
    If the other companies sell 1/4 pounders, I've never seen 'em. The Kayem might be a tad longer than an Oscar Mayer, but will fit on a standard bun. Pearl sells standard size dogs too, but I've never seen 'em. And besides, what fun is that ?! =)

Put another way, One 2.4 oz Kayem has 170 calories. One 4 oz Pearl has 300 calories!!
    http://forums.roadfood.com/m/tm.aspx?m=313321&p=1
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cool. As I said, I've never seen 1/4s other than Pearls. Never even heard of Viennas until you mentioned them. =)

Interesting that Gourmet is evaluating hot dogs. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Viennas are legit, and my easily found favorite, having a Jewel Foods close by, they are the priciest though.
    They were on sale recently for $2.99, stocked up and bought the Wisconsin Cheddar ones to try around the campfire.

Vienna neon relish is the real deal, a regular stocked item in the fridge.
    When it comes to Chicago, there is only one dog, a Vienna. 

The quarter pounder Viennas are good, but I almost prefer the smaller ones, a dog is more about the toppings, than the dog itself...a platform, lol.  A smaller dog lets you pile more sh!t on.   =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    Viennas are legit, and my easily found favorite, having a Jewel Foods close by, they are the priciest though.
    They were on sale recently for $2.99, stocked up and bought the Wisconsin Cheddar ones to try around the campfire.

The quarter pounder Viennas are good, but I almost prefer the smaller ones, a dog is more about the toppings, than the dog itself...a platform, lol.  A smaller dog lets you pile more sh!t on.   =)

Relish? What's that got to do with hot dogs?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

Relish? What's that got to do with hot dogs?
    LOL
    The proverbial corn in the turd, that holds everything together, in the punch bowl. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Focker said:

Brandon - pay no attention to C-Q. Neon relish plus plus plus makes a great Chicago dog. Now for a new point. I'm ok with Vienna Dogs, but try as I can I wish I could find a grocery store source of Maxwell Street Polish! I love those things with nothing more than old yeller mustard and kraut. Talk about a treat! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Brandon - pay no attention to C-Q. Neon relish plus plus plus makes a great Chicago dog. Now for a new point. I'm ok with Vienna Dogs, but try as I can I wish I could find a grocery store source of Maxwell Street Polish! I love those things with nothing more than old yeller mustard and kraut. Talk about a treat! 
    Are MSPs local, regional?
    We are all kraut lovers here too Ron.  Canadian bacon, kraut, pineapple is a fun pizza the boys like. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @Carolina Q

Yay!

#1 - You went somewhere, even left your own state!

#2 - You fired an egg for 1 single hot dog!

#3 - You broke out the food processor for 1 carrot??? 

What has gotten into you, Q?

Seriously, I'm gonna try the Pinks recipe, Thanks! And I guess I'm gonna have to use a good old Hebrew National dog, since I'm sure I will never have the pleasure of trying the Pearls.

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini