Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Is cowboy pretty neutral?  That lazzari stuffs pretty smoky. 

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I think Cowboy is more neutral than Royal Oak. 

I usually buy a few of the massive bags at Costco when it first comes out in the spring. 

Its still smokier (more smokey?) than Rockwood I think. But those big Costco bags are usually busted to dang near chips by the time you get to the bottom of the bag and I question if that doesn't cause more actual smoke. (Due to air flow)

I used Lazzari for a long time but only for pork and beef smokes. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Rockwood is neutral and very clean.  Hard to find cleaner or better in my opinion.  Worth the $$
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist Are you laughing in your adult beverage about now? Oh, and give Frontier a try. If you get a Kick Ash basket you can pretend you're panning for gold when you clean the egg. It's kind of like a treasure hunt; you'll find rocks, wire, insulation, and other hard to identify gems. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Nah Im trying to get a few hours sleep. Gonna leave at midnight headed to florida for a week. I drive at night so my 3 boys and wife will sleep and I can drive in peace and enjoy myself. Usually by the time they wake up Im across the bay in mobile and we stop and grab some breakfast. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I guess I'll try to search out some cowboy and some rockwood. Ive used some stuff called basque or baske or something like that. It was terrible. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I guess I'll try to search out some cowboy and some rockwood. Ive used some stuff called basque or baske or something like that. It was terrible. 
    That's cause it's Canadian. Only thing they make good is whiskey. Look at that crap they call bacon. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Canadian?  How the hell did I get my hands on that down here in arkansas?  Must have been drunk or something. 

Little Rock, AR

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm holding onto my last seven bags of OO, so decided to try Royal Oak that was on sale.  If you get a chance to try it, don't.

Fortunately, my Rockwood arrived.

• JVAV
    JVAV Posts: 18
    Options
    Royal Oak is tough to beat for $9.99/bag, Rockwood is the best I've used but I think it jumped quite a bit in price since the first time I bought it. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Canadian?  How the hell did I get my hands on that down here in arkansas?  Must have been drunk or something. 
    Prolly some bad trade treaty. 

#MAGA
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Anytime I hear the term dense used with charcoal I wonder if it is under carbonized.  Dense charcoal normally means it has lots of wood left in it that has not been carbonized.  If I want to burn wood, I grab a log off the firewood pile.  I pay the charcoal companies to carbonize the wood.

Just a personal preference but I prefer to purchase American products when feasible.  I don't like to contribute off shoring American jobs if I don't have to. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.