Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aldis; What meat is worth buying?

Options
Haven't been in Aldis in a long time, but after reading about people liking it I stopped in and remembered why I stopped going.  Most items LOOK like the name brand products you are familiar with, with slight name/label differences and I suspect a compromised quality to drive the price down.  Still, I grabbed $50 worth of things to try.  Produce looked good also.

One of the things I tried was two packs of the baby back ribs.  They actually weren't cheaper than my local Harris Teeter Smithfield sale, but wanted to try them.  When I opened the package the flesh looked like jello and the ribs were slippery.  It was a fresh package and I suspect the gelatinous look of the meat was due to the the strong salt solution they are packed in.  They didn't have that typical pork smell like when I open up a pack of Costco or Smithfield ribs.

In any case, they cooked up fine but I found them to be really salty.  So salty that it actually overpowered the sweetness of the rub and sauce.  I really had to dip them in sauce to cover it up, and I'm a guy who usually likes my ribs dry.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting pasture raised organic pork quality from Aldis, but these to me seemed fattened up with liquid to increase weight and over salted to increase flavor.

Has anyone found any meat at Aldis that they trust for quality and flavor? 

I picked up some skirt steak which was a decent size cut for $10.  Haven't tried it yet.  There was a full selection of meat and even the fresh and frozen seafood looked pretty good, but I'm suspect after the ribs.  I saw they had organic whole chickens.  Maybe I'll try one of those.

In any case, the egg still made them look great and they were tender as usual.  These are covered with some two brothers sweet & smokey that I got from the sauce exchange along with some DP.  And one of them is coated with this fantastic Sugar Chalet Maple BBQ sauce that @fiver29 through in the box as well. I could drink that stuff!

4 hours @ 225

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have not tried Aldis meats. I use a source that I prefer as opposed to trying something that may or may not deliver. I love much of their products and the value they bring....but meat is not what I purchase from them. That's just me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Agree about the fresh meat. Really no cheaper than any other good grocery store. Any pork that is packed with the salt solution I rinse very well and pat dry before I season and cook it. My take on the Aldi pork ribs was similar to yours.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    It's to the point where in any store, when the meat looks too perfect, I'm suspicious...  tuna too red, salmon too dark pink, pork too light pink, chopped meat too uniform, shrimp too big, scallops too round...   you get the point.  =)

Sometimes, and particularly on the "deals", the meat looks a little too manufactured in order to meet the consumer's expectations.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've also tried Aldis ribs. Wasn't a fan. Not terrible by any means but you can find better for around the same price. Fresh fruit/veggies don't keep as long compared to other grocery stores I've found. We buy everything from cheese to water softener salt there. The meat is a pass most of the time for me but I'm not saying it's bad but I usually do most of my meat shopping at Sams Club. The more you go and familiarize yourself there the easier it gets. If you don't care about name brands it's a great place to shop. Something my Dad taught me when I was a kid. My dad, "I'll buy you the $120 Nike shoes you want but as soon as we get home I get destitch and remove any Nike logo on the shoe". (He was serious) A lesson I still look back and remember. Was it the logo I was buying or the comfort of the shoe. It's too bad people won't give Aldi the chance because of the name. I enjoy Aldi. Is it the perfect grocery store? No. Can I find part of my grocery list there for a reasonable price? Yes!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the grass fed burger if you like grass fed is good. the hams are killer, better than cooks, corando etc. seen lamb but have not tried it, thinking its arginetine and im good with that. pick over the hams and look for the ones with less fat, these seem less salty than most hams ive bought. i would not buy solution added ribs anywhere. the mayo is hellmanns, can not taste a difference, its just a different label, racers are snickers bars, they just upped the bread isle but havent  tried the new varieties, produce is fine, the pickles taste like clausens. except for ham i mostly avoid solution added from any store

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Maybe it's a regional difference, but I've bought a lot of baby backs at Aldi and never had a bad one. This store (northern Kentucky) has only been open for a year or so, so maybe that's a factor too. Ribs are much meatier and always cheaper than the Kroger around the corner.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Good tips @fishlessman , thanks.  I don't tend to make hams often for no good reason.  Maybe I'll have to try one.  I mean, if I can make it on the egg, why not?!? 

I hear what you are saying @WeberWho .  If it is really the name brand with a different label (so you are not paying for the brand) that's one thing.  For others, I think it's a similar looking product but might have more filler or low end ingredients to decrease cost.  Have to do a side to side comparison of ingredients and the nutrition chart to get a better clue, and that still isn't conclusive.

Yeah, I'll have to look at any ribs closer next time and avoid ones with solution added.  I was in a rush.  The text was small.  And I had to pee.  They hid the darn bathroom making it much more of a grab and go session than usual.  =)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like their chicken thighs. They're priced about the same as my regular store, but buying at ALDI often saves me a trip to the other store. Gotta watch the sodium though. Thighs are ok, breasts can be a bit high.

Bought a 3 lb chuck roast a couple of weeks ago. Cubed it and froze for about 30 minutes, then ground it up in my food processor. Made a great burger! I didn't, but if I had wanted a med rare burger, I wouldn't have hesitated.

Bought a NY strip once. Wasn't impressed. I think I have a flank steak (or maybe it's a skirt?) in the freezer, but haven't tried one yet.

I tried their pork loin once. Dirt cheap. I cut it into thick chops, 1-1.5" thick, about 75¢ ea as I recall. As good as any. I usually remember to look for (and avoid) the injected stuff, but I don't know if I did here.  

I've been eating a lot of their wild caught frozen pink salmon lately. Love that stuff!

For veggies, I like their asparagus, when they have the thicker stalks. Lately, all they ever have is pencil thin. Bagged spinach is good too. And carrots, onions, scallions, mushrooms and potatoes. Lemons and limes are only sold by the bag, but they seem to last. Green peppers are ok, but broccoli always seems a bit limp. 

All in all, I like ALDI. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Good tips @fishlessman , thanks.  I don't tend to make hams often for no good reason.  Maybe I'll have to try one.  I mean, if I can make it on the egg, why not?!? 

I hear what you are saying @WeberWho .  If it is really the name brand with a different label (so you are not paying for the brand) that's one thing.  For others, I think it's a similar looking product but might have more filler or low end ingredients to decrease cost.  Have to do a side to side comparison of ingredients and the nutrition chart to get a better clue, and that still isn't conclusive.

Yeah, I'll have to look at any ribs closer next time and avoid ones with solution added.  I was in a rush.  The text was small.  And I had to pee.  They hid the darn bathroom making it much more of a grab and go session than usual.  =)
    @KiterTodd We had a family friend who worked for a major potato chip company here in the Twin Cities. They would package under the name brand bags until 4pm. Anytime after 4pm they would switch over to the "off brand bags".

I always found that hilarious. People would swear they could tell the difference. Same exact chip!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho said:

@KiterTodd We had a family friend who worked for a major potato chip company here in the Twin Cities. They would package under the name brand bags until 4pm. Anytime after 4pm they would switch over to the "off brand bags".

I always found that hilarious. People would swear they could tell the difference. Same exact chip!
    So what were the two brands? =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

So what were the two brands? =)
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was Happy's potato chips. She worked for them in 70's and 80's. 

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like the skirt steak from Aldis. I have tried it a few times and it has been great. It is a good $3-$4 cheaper per lb than Publix, and tastes just the same. 

That is the only thing I really found as far as beef that jumped out at me as a good buy. The strips/ribeye at Aldis were about the same as Publix on sale and didn't look as good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Went a couple weeks back to a new store close to the crib, not impressed. No selection and didn't carry basic items I was looking for. Can't justify another stop for what they offer. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I tried a few of their skirt steaks recently and they were both terrible!!  8 - (
  • Knoxvol
    Knoxvol Posts: 7
    Options
    Not meat but there brioche buns are the bomb.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Knoxvol said:
    Not meat but there brioche buns are the bomb.
    You got that right! Perfect size for 1/3 lb smashburgers (1/2" thick).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Grass fed ground, skirt, chuck, spares, lamb, natural chicken, wild salmon, beef dawgs, brats, all good here.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ribs do not benefit from a brine.  I've done them SV with and without salt and the unsalted are vastly superior.  I'm not sure why, and why this is only ribs, but that's what I've clearly noticed having done them many times.
    Options
    ....(continued from above)...Also, if you don't know this already, and you can test this yourself - don't salt your eggs before cooking.  Scrambled, over easy, sunny-side up.  Do. Not. Salt.  Makes them grey and runny. (bi-phasic).
    Options
    I really like the bacon from Aldi. Really good and cheap. Not home made good but good for store bought.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • KiterTodd
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ....(continued from above)...Also, if you don't know this already, and you can test this yourself - don't salt your eggs before cooking.  Scrambled, over easy, sunny-side up.  Do. Not. Salt.  Makes them grey and runny. (bi-phasic).
    So this is interesting.   I heard this years ago and for most of my life I have never salted eggs prior to cooking.   I'll do it after if needed, sometimes it already gets it from whatever toppings/fillings I add...

...just this past year I saw something saying it was BS, there's no difference if you salt or not.  Wish I could remember where I saw that.  So, now if I want to lightly salt eggs before cooking I have been, and haven't noticed a difference.  I don't use much, though.

I have not done a side by side test, though.  I'll have to try it.  I have to fight my kids to get them to eat the eggs either way.  They can have the mistakes.  :)

(thanks for the tip on the ribs!)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • nolaegghead
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    So this is interesting.   I heard this years ago and for most of my life I have never salted eggs prior to cooking.   I'll do it after if needed, sometimes it already gets it from whatever toppings/fillings I add...

...just this past year I saw something saying it was BS, there's no difference if you salt or not.  Wish I could remember where I saw that.  So, now if I want to lightly salt eggs before cooking I have been, and haven't noticed a difference.  I don't use much, though.

I have not done a side by side test, though.  I'll have to try it.  I have to fight my kids to get them to eat the eggs either way.  They can have the mistakes.  :)

(thanks for the tip on the ribs!)
    To be honest, my comparison test experience is limited (more than I'd feel comfortable saying it is chiseled in stone) to only cooking them easy over.  On my own, not hearing the old advice of not salting before cooking, I noticed my easy-over eggs were weirdly gray and textured if I seasoned with salt.  This is a staple I cook almost daily.  Anyway, based on that experience, I stopped.  Instant improvement. 

Insofar as the scrambled, I never really liked them scrambled until I started using the Ramsay technique, and now I like them.  So I figured there's probably something to the theory.  I read some studies on that and for scrambled, it was indistinguishable (1/4 tsp in 3 eggs).  At least by color/texture, I think there is a difference.  Most important is the technique of the whole process.
    Options
    whats the ramsey tech for scrambled, i just add a little water and scramble for fluffy eggs, was brought up with milk added and it makes for a heavey scramble.  my over easys are submerged in salty bacon grease and fragments, you wont see grey in the dirty easys
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Brason said:
    I really like the bacon from Aldi. Really good and cheap. Not home made good but good for store bought.
    Same here, we get the Apple smoked or jalapeno if it's in stock.
    The Tuscan Garden bacon bits are super cheap too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I really like their top sirlion steak.  It's $4.99lb everyday.  I have also bought their ribeyes (Prime and Choice) and like those as well.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Buy these when they're available (a seasonal product):

They're really, really good brats! Get some of their red cabbage sauerkraut sold in a jar while you're at it. Yum!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    whats the ramsey tech for scrambled, i just add a little water and scramble for fluffy eggs, was brought up with milk added and it makes for a heavey scramble.  my over easys are submerged in salty bacon grease and fragments, you wont see grey in the dirty easys
    @fishlessman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDzaj91oFY

Options
    Their italian sausage and brats. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    @fishlessman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDzaj91oFY

going to try that, like the creme fraiche at the end
    fukahwee maine

• KiterTodd
    Options
    So, I grilled the SKIRT this weekend and it was excellent. 
    I had to trim a lot of fat off the backside (not visible in packaging) but it was buttery once grilled.  I sliced it thin for fajitas.  Family loved it.

At the price, I'll definitely get it again.  I grilled that $10 piece of skirt, one chicken breast, and it was plenty of meat for everyone.
    LBGE/Maryland