Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal?

Options
2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    This is there rest of my FOGO.. Anyone ever use this?  I feel like it will just clog the holes in the bottom of the egg and cause less airflow.

Pour it around the outer edge of your firebox and/or sprinkle some around the top.  There are plenty of BTU's still in there--no need to throw them away.  A good mix little pieces will actually help you light a faster because of the surface area and proximity to other pieces (fire bridge).

But if you don't want to use them, till them into your garden our dump them in the lawn.  Charcoal does wonders for soil (AKA: biochar). 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Anyone ever use b & b?  It's all I pretty nut h use these days. I really like it. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    erikjs71 said:

ColtsFan said:
     @erikjs71  I've used FOGO. It's fine. Reminds me of KJ Big Block. 

I'm on team Rockwood now 
    Do you have an Ace Hardware near you?  If so, see if they carry Rockwood. That's what a lot of people here use, and it's pretty good.
    <-----RW snob here too.

Ok.. Picked a bag up today.  $24.99 at my Ace in No. GA
    Once you discover this is a superior lump, buy with ACE Rewards discount coupon or at Firecraft.com for less (free shipping with 3+ bags).
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I primarily use Rockwood due to quality and ease of access via Firecraft.com

I've used Ozark Oak(RIP), Fogo, and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and all have been fine.  Matter of fact, I picked up some WGWW while in NC last time through just to try again.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2017
    Options
    A great, recurring, awesome Friday night thread.......

Should get interesting when the bourbon starts flowing.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I was a die hard royal oak guy till I tried rockwood, now rockwood is my go to for everything. My wife hates over smoked flavor so when I grill chicken thighs with rockwood she said, now this is grilled chicken not like that smoked grilled chicken on the old charcoal. Wife wins Everytime. Royal oak does give a more Smokey flavor but I want to choose the smoke flavor and we have noticed a big difference. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    A great, recurring, awesome Friday night thread.......

Should get interesting when the bourbon starts flowing.  =)
    Already flowing here....  =)
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Late to the party with a response, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Royal Oak. For normal, everyday grilling, I use it on a regular basis.  Readily available at Home Depot and $13/bag.  Works great, easy to light and consistent pieces with little random extras in the bags.  For longer cooks, I've used Nature's Own with good results, as well as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Wicked Good has become almost impossible to find around Georgia the past few years, so I haven't used it in a while. I did buy a Kamado Joe Jr a few weeks ago and a bag of KJ Big Blok Lump came with it. That stuff is HUGE. Burns well, burns clean, little ash and is amazing for long, low and slow cooks. I'm definitely buying more of it.  I also just picked up a bag of Blues Hog Lump, but haven't used it yet.  I was told it was very similar to the old Wicked Good charcoal.  If so, it will be used for long, low temp cooks, also.

As stated above, check out nakedwhiz.com.  Great resource with honest, tested opinions of charcoal. I've found a few from there I wasn't a fan of, but the reviews have been pretty consistent and it's a great resource for trying new lump brands.  Good luck!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Rockwood snob here too!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I started using Anthracite after the great lump embargo in the mid 70's and haven't looked back since.
    Options
    Royal oak and meat are the only two things to enter my eggs.  Its worked really well so far.
  • erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok.. so the Rockwood was good.  I need to use it with meat next time.  I was cooking pizza last night.. It was kinda hard to tell the flavor on indirect cooking for 6-7 minutes.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    That pie looks delicious!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    after all these years i just buy whats locally available and convenient for me, mostly cowboy, nothing wrong with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have had good luck with FOGO. Yes it is expensive, but it burns for a long time, and even after a 22 hour low and slow, I didn't have to add any new lump for the next cook. I'm pretty happy with it. I can't compare it to Rockwood, since they won't ship to California because of the stupid nanny state Proposition 65 everything causes cancer rules.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    RO 'til I die!
    Pound for pound, cannot be beat.
    The smell is like lighter fluid, nostalgic almost, to when I first started eggin'.

The key is a good preheat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Yno said:
    I have had good luck with FOGO. Yes it is expensive, but it burns for a long time, and even after a 22 hour low and slow, I didn't have to add any new lump for the next cook. I'm pretty happy with it. I can't compare it to Rockwood, since they won't ship to California because of the stupid nanny state Proposition 65 everything causes cancer rules.

Hang tight......we'll have it there later this year, once the next batch of bags are printed. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    after all these years i just buy whats locally available and convenient for me, mostly cowboy, nothing wrong with it
    That's all I've ever done. Holyoke is about 30 miles away so I've bought WG a couple of times. Last time, I split a pallet with a guy and only had to drive about 12 miles to meet up with him. $13+ per 20 lbs. Mostly, I just go to Home Depot for RO. 

RO is good enough, but WG is much better. Especially if you can get it for that price.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    You should absolutely try Royal Oak, but you also need to try at least one bag of Rockwood. You can decide for yourself whether the Rockwood is worth the additional cost. I firmly believe that it is.
    A few people have mentioned the price.. So is it that expensive??  Not sure if I mentioned.. but I bought a 35lb bag of FOGO and went through it.. It was about $45!!
    $21.95 from firecraft.com with free shipping on 5+ bags.  $24.95 in most Ace stores and other places.....depends on how much the freight costs them.  $17-20 tops in St. Louis.
    I found a place in Linn, Mo that used to have it at $14.99 per bag. My buddy and I used to go in and buy everything they had when we drove through town(5-10 bags). That price point only lasted about a year. It now runs around $18. We still buy all that they carry. 
  • erikjs71
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    That pie looks delicious!
    Thanks Colt!!
  • erikjs71
    Options

Yno said:

Hang tight......we'll have it there later this year, once the next batch of bags are printed. 
    Preheating is key.. I preheated the pizza at 650º-700º for 30 mins.. but that was mainly to get the stone to temp.. normally for a steak.. which I'll do on the Rock next, I'll get it to 800º or so, for a good 20-30 before adding the steak.  Gonna do some ribs this weekend.
  • erikjs71
    Options
    Still a fan of FOGO though.. It is a little more expensive, but I love the smell.

Anyone had the "Premium" as opposed to the "Super Premium"?  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yno said:

@stlcharcoal that's awesome that y'all are growing as you are as a company. But please dont get so big that you forget/loose the quality. 

Also so it'd be really great if you sell
    me a pallet, as I have no local dealers.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

@stlcharcoal that's awesome that y'all are growing as you are as a company. But please dont get so big that you forget/loose the quality. 

Also so it'd be really great if you sell
    me a pallet, as I have no local dealers.  =)
    Don't worry, that's why I've capped the growth each year. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Yno said:
    I can't compare it to Rockwood, since they won't ship to California because of the stupid nanny state Proposition 65 everything causes cancer rules.

HUZZAH AND HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.