Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best aftermarket top vent?

2»

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Stock daisy wheel for me, but my Egg is under a carport type cover.

No rust on mine, either.....gets lots of use.  :)
    the DFMT will suffice, although goofy and outdated.
    I don't see it as "goofy" or "outdated". It works, and quite well. 
    Quite well is a stretch, as long as you align both the stars, and check it every time you close the dome.

It works, but I was glad to move on, in several ways.  I don't see many peeps who regret one.

Smokeware should be OEM IMO.
    One of many parts, where BGE falls behind.

I've never had a problem losing the setting when opening / closing the dome. I put the BGE logo on the daisy wheel at 9 o'clock and it stays centered when I open / close the dome. 

It works well with the Flame Boss I use periodically. 

I'm not saying that a Smokeware cap isn't worth it.......just that the OEM daisy wheel works just fine if you can deal with it, and I can. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Focker said:

Actually Matt had offered the product and patent to BGE corporate, but instead he was given a "come to Jesus" meeting with a BGE corporate lawyer and was threatened. This "ain't no bullsh*t"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Actually Matt had offered the product and patent to BGE corporate, but instead he was given a "come to Jesus" meeting with a BGE corporate lawyer and was threatened. This "ain't no bullsh*t"!
    Was that because of the product? Or because he called it EggWare in the beginning? Regardless, I hate tactics like that by the "big boys".

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Gotta agree with all the Daisy Wheel users.  I've cooked in rain with no issues but that just don't happen no more.  As to setting the DMFT and your settings changing when opening the dome you need to set the hinge screw and center screw in a line with the handle.  It won't move then.  You can also put a spring on the hinge screw that keep the top from spinning 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    My BGE's are at the front end of a covered porch so the rain/snow entry is of minimal concern.  Regarding how to keep it from rotating, here's a link that should clarify:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting  
    And with respect to rust/weathering just hit with some cooking spray periodically and always store inside the BGE upon the shut-down phase.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

Was that because of the product? Or because he called it EggWare in the beginning? Regardless, I hate tactics like that by the "big boys".
    Could be, Michael. I suppose in Hotlanta where the history of nasties "protecting" poor little Coca-Cola rein supreme that finding a law firm to kick peasants *sses for implying much of anything could be easy to find!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Gotta agree with all the Daisy Wheel users.  I've cooked in rain with no issues but that just don't happen no more.  As to setting the DMFT and your settings changing when opening the dome you need to set the hinge screw and center screw in a line with the handle.  It won't move then.  You can also put a spring on the hinge screw that keep the top from spinning 
    What's DMFT short for?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Dumb Mother Fvcking Top.  Smokeware is smart.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Powak said:
    What's DMFT short for?
    Actually it should've been DFMT.  Dual function metal top. 

bgebrent said:
    Please don't tell me you (or Nicole) have issues with the daisy wheel.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Powak said:
    What's DMFT short for?
    Actually it should've been DFMT.  Dual function metal top. 

bgebrent said:
    Please don't tell me you (or Nicole) have issues with the daisy wheel.  
    No issues, just poor and cumbersome design.  MM is still working with and without the DMFT.  One day she'll get a Smokeware because they are simply easier to deal with day-day.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga