Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water-to-table: tuna and a surprise

2»

Comments

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited July 2017

On an episode of Chasing Monsters (Netflix 1st season), Cyril's guide makes a quick batch of Ceviche out of his catch. I would have dug in.

That said, I'm not getting on any boat going out in 3-8' waves. Let alone eating while out there. Bad enough when I was on the Big Grey Cruise Line.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Going deep sea fishing next week.  Cant wait.  We went last year and caught 3 huge red snappers and  at them for lunch that day.  Nothing beats fresh fish.   
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2017
    Wow -- that was fascinating!  Thanks for passing it along.  Apparently I was wrong about ALL sushi tuna in Japan having been frozen, though much of it has.  Still:

At the Elizabeth, N.J., warehouse of True World Foods, a manager, Ken Kawauchi, recently readied a room-size freezer to receive eight more tons of premium tuna frozen with sophisticated technology that chefs say preserves the texture and flavor of the fish.

''This product is better than fresh,'' he said. ''We start freezing it almost before it's dead.''

... Sabine Marangosian, who works in Midtown Manhattan, said she ate sushi ''at least once a week.'' ''I guess I would understand that some sushi is frozen,'' she said. ''But I would hope that's not the case at Nobu.''

But Shin Tsujimura, the sushi chef at Nobu, closer to Wall Street, said he froze his own tuna. ''Even I cannot tell the difference between fresh and frozen in a blind test,'' he said.

Sounds to me as though those who tasted a noticeable difference between fresh and frozen tuna didn't freeze it the way the people listed above did.  It'd be interesting to know what the difference was.  Some of the tuna in that article was "superfrozen" to incredibly cold temperatures, but it doesn't sound like all of it was.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Excellent catch and eats, Yellow Tail sushi is definitely my favorite. Keep the pics coming!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    bgebrent said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    bgebrent said:
    Just nothing better.  Need any second mates?
     I heard the chunking bite was just turning on. I believe  you are familiar with a knife. I love everything about fishing except cutting up 4-5 flats of butterfish or sardines. That job just sucks. I would be happy to pass that one off.....
    Sign me up!  I know my way around a sharp knife and would like to dine with you brother.
    Don't let him kid you. He uses a laser.  ;)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Theophan said:nu
    Wow -- that was fascinating!  Thanks for passing it along.  Apparently I was wrong about ALL sushi tuna in Japan having been frozen, though much of it has.  Still:

At the Elizabeth, N.J., warehouse of True World Foods, a manager, Ken Kawauchi, recently readied a room-size freezer to receive eight more tons of premium tuna frozen with sophisticated technology that chefs say preserves the texture and flavor of the fish.

''This product is better than fresh,'' he said. ''We start freezing it almost before it's dead.''

... Sabine Marangosian, who works in Midtown Manhattan, said she ate sushi ''at least once a week.'' ''I guess I would understand that some sushi is frozen,'' she said. ''But I would hope that's not the case at Nobu.''

But Shin Tsujimura, the sushi chef at Nobu, closer to Wall Street, said he froze his own tuna. ''Even I cannot tell the difference between fresh and frozen in a blind test,'' he said.

Sounds to me as though those who tasted a noticeable difference between fresh and frozen tuna didn't freeze it the way the people listed above did.  It'd be interesting to know what the difference was.  Some of the tuna in that article was "superfrozen" to incredibly cold temperatures, but it doesn't sound like all of it was.
    I agree that freezing fish correctly (flash freezing) as soon as possible after catch (and storing very cold) results in virtually indistinguishable quality from fresh, although some species just can't be frozen well - down here, notably white trout.  The reason is if the meat is slowly frozen, ice crystals are larger grained and break the cell membrane.  This affects the taste and textur@Theophan

A home freezer just doesn't do it, and although I freeze fish I catch in my regular freezer, they definitely aren't as good a@Theophan

Some of the commercial (cheaper) frozen fish is terrible, and I think that's where the wide-spread reputation of fresh is better than frozen comes from.  But if that catch is immediately flash frozen and immediately thawed before cooking (or eating raw), it's arguably better (and even fresher as defined by time unfrozen) than fresh fish that usually travels a long distance.                                                                                              @Theophan

FYI - the "@theophan" artifact in the above was not intentional.  I couldn't delete it, tried, but said f-it.  Carried over from the previous post I made, I guess.
    Bump!
    PS...I hate you. :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    If I had to cook that tuna any more than you did, I'd throw it back. I get the concern, but I'd like to cut that sucker up on the boat and eat it raw!
    We do that as well.  Depending who is on board,  as soon as the fish is dead, I will take a chunk out of the "shoulder" of the fish, and put it in a ziplock, then in a bucket of ice with a bit of saltwater to get it ice cold and firm up.  Then we always have some soy and wasabi onboard and have a great snack. 

Additionally, if on an overnight chunking trip and we can get a squid of the right size, we will catch them and sauté in oil and a bit of garlic. That is insanely good. That season is just starting.  Can't wait!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    edited July 2017

blind99 said:
    What a great trip! I've been meaning to pick up a zebco and take the kids bluegill fishing - this is fishing at a whole other level!
    Yes it is @blind99.  We look at water temperature breaks,  chlorophyll levels, water color, altimetry for upwelling water... all kinds of things from satellite shots.  We spend 30-45 minutes looking at them before leaving dock.  Then we adjust as needed when on the water. When you spend $$ on 300-600 gallons of fuel, bait, and equipment on a trip, you want to put the odds on your favor as much as possible. 

Sometimes it works, usually not.  Women are easier to understand then the movement of fish in the ocean....
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Going deep sea fishing next week.  Cant wait.  We went last year and caught 3 huge red snappers and  at them for lunch that day.  Nothing beats fresh fish.   
    Best of luck!!  Have a safe and successful trip!
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Plutonium said:
    Awesome looking catch and experience. I'm on a big tuna kick lately and that looks perfect. Are those sweet potato tots with it?
    @Plutonium yes they are sweet potato tots.  My wife found them. We realize they do not brown at all. It is either orange or black, but they are really really good. I love them. 
    Give them a try if you like sweet potatoes.
    Large and MiniMax

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @Sea2Ski that is very cool. My idea of sophisticated fishing is deciding which color of woollie bugger to tie on :)

i think we need a combo fishing/egging weekend... bait blast...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Nice catch ...any sashimi pics ..catch like that I would it it while its still flopping around 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Nope sorry, no sashimi pictures.

I do not eat it as it is flopping. It is too dangerous with a fish that large.   Not sure if you ever get out or have done it, but big game fishing is a lot of fun and a whole different experience than other types of fishing. It is also no joke when you have to get out to the grounds like we do in the mid-atlantic and have to run 2, 3, sometimes 4 hours to get to the good water. But bad things can and do happen. We have had dock neighbors get pulled overboard (one never to be seen again), impaled or slashed by a bill fish, gaffed, stabbed, cut, or fingers degloved by line....  so many things can and do go wrong. Out there, you are hours away from medical attention, so safety is always #1 priority.

Back to your comment, personally, I try and keep the killing part as calm as possible in respect to the animal and for personal safety. I do not like the killing at all, but you can not harvest the animal without killing it.  I get that....

This is our process:
    You have to gaff it otherwise there is no other way that I know of to get in the boat. As soon as the fish is on deck, push to the stern corner over the drain holes and cover the eyes with a wet rag to keep it calm, otherwise it thrashes around much more without the rag. Once the eyes are covered, cut the gills to start bleeding it out, and on a larger fish, insert the knife just behind the pectoral fin on both sides to bleed it faster. Once that is done, unhook it, clear the line, check leader for nicks redeploy or place aside for re-rigging and open the lid to the fish box. During that time period, the fish is remarkably calm. By that time the line is reset, the fish has just about passed, and starting to go through the death tremors. This is a nervous reaction where the tuna does not flop, but appears to look like it is trying to swim really fast. The tail goes back and forth very very fast, and even a 25 lb fish is very difficult to control. You have to get it in the box before that really kicks in because it can get very violent, and with a 60lb or larger fish, it can cause some damage or personal injury. It will last only a few minutes, but once it starts, there is literally no way to control the fish. We get the fish in the box and hose down the deck.
    After that finishes, the animal is fully dead. I usually wait another 5 minutes or so, and then and pull it out of the box, gill it, gut it and stuff it with ice. This is when I also when I butcher a piece if we are going to have some on the boat.

Can't wait to go again!
    Large and MiniMax

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    edited July 2017
    Saw this this morning and reminded me of this thread. If you eat raw or undercooked fish and feel poorly a few days later be sure to show your doctor this video - might help them with a  diagnosis. 

If you click on the little graphic  on the upper right ABOVE the video it will take you to a page with the description of events. Enjoy! :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    @HeavyG, that is awesome.  I've never been much of a fan of sushi.  It's OK.  I don't hate it.  My taste buds just prefer cooked food - including fish.  That video helps solidify my thoughts.  

True story:  I was at Roy's in San Francisco and ordered a fish dish and asked for it to be cooked "medium".  When it was served, it was lightly seared and about room temperature in the center - which is just the way many people like it.  I get it.  But it was not the way I wanted it so I politely (really) brought it to the attention of the waiter.  He took it back to be cooked more.  To make it up to me they brought me a piece of sushi.  I couldn't resist.  I had to ask.  "I sent my fish back because I don't like raw fish.  So, to make it up to me, you brought me a piece of raw fish?  Seriously?"  The waiter stammered and had no answer for my question and walked away hanging his head.

I gave the sushi to a colleague and when my fish returned it was cooked perfectly (for me anyway).  I ate it and it was great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That's a beautiful boat!  Thanks for the share.

The fist weren't bad either.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    @Sea2Ski
    I was going to message and see how fishing has been lately. Keep up with these threads.

PS- if you ever need anyone to go out fishing , I'm game. Just drop me a line.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I smell Tuna Camp I next year.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    Here's how that would play out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH4NRIDjRjk

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sea2Ski
    @Sea2Ski
    I was going to message and see how fishing has been lately. Keep up with these threads.

PS- if you ever need anyone to go out fishing , I'm game. Just drop me a line.
    @pescadorzih
    Overall, crappy.
    Weather has sucked. Warmn water eddies have disappeared on our way to them, and never found the break. 
    The inshore bit is almost non-existent. This year, I have 2 keeper flounder, and 9 shorts. That is absolutely pathetic. Previous year, I would have had over 20 keepers/150 shorts by now.  It is like the bottom draggers got every one this spring and none made it past them.
    The only thing that is good from what I hear are the blue claw crabs. This is is an incredible year. I can tell you I have never pulled so many up on my line as I have this year.  But fishing?  Horrible.  We officially called off any more flounder trips to the reports pick up.

How flexible/available are you?  If we need anyone, we usually find out about 24/36 hrs before casting off, so it is not much notice. And to be honest, does not happen often. But it does happen once in a while....
    Large and MiniMax