Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal?

Options
Ok.. so I've done a few different charcoals in the BGE..
Of course Big Green Egg Charcoal.. I've also had a bad of Fogo Super Premium.. Great flavor on the Fogo, but a little overwhelming at times.. I feel like I can still smell it on me in the morning.  

I've also done a local charcoal, that I can't remember the name of..

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations..  Obviously something that I can order online..

I was thinking about Red Oak.. (I think that's what it's called).. it's at my Home Depot.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's Royal Oak (the HD stuff). The Rockwood snobs on here will tell you it sucks, but it's fine. Rockwood is popular too, but too expensive, IMO. Wicked Good is equally expensive (and equally good). If you live near Holyoke Mass, it's affordable (about the same as Royal Oak).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Do you have an Ace Hardware near you?  If so, see if they carry Rockwood. That's what a lot of people here use, and it's pretty good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    With Rockwood i notice the biggest difference with smoke sensitive foods (veggies, mac n cheese)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    I've used Rockwood, Royal Oak, and Kamado Joe XL lump so far and I only prefer the royal oak over the other two by a small margin. More consistent sized pieces was the only difference of Rockwood and the other two. That could've just been a matter of how it was handled before it made it to my house though.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    There are times that I don't find that Rockwood doesn't give enough flavor. It burns great and consistent. Royal Oak is a good lump. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Royal Oak = Big Green Egg Brand, just less expensive.  You've already tried it.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Rockwood snob here, plenty of lesser brands if the cost puts it out of reach.  
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Kinda hard not to have this data base amongst your bookmarks in case you run across regional brands. HTH
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If burning off VOC's is a side hobby, then Royal Oak is a good choice.  

You will be disappointed with Rockwood, as it burns them off significantly quicker.
    Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Every lump charcoal has differing characteristics, from VOC burn-off, to level of imparted smoke flavor, ease of lighting etc.  See @RRP 's data base link.  Try as many as you can get your hands on (except Cowboy for me) and decide what you enjoy.  BTU's are BTU's at the end of the day.  
    Firecraft.com is a great mail-order site for charcoal as well.  FWIW-
    Edit: Charcoal discussions here are like politics and religion everywhere else.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    I've had good luck with the Big Green Egg brand (Royal Oak) bag I have now. Pretty neutral smell, burn. Good size pieces too. Price-wise it's too much. For a few cents more per pound, I can buy Fogo. I've used Wicked Good before but the closest dealer stoppped carrying it. The next closest is too far. Ordering Rockwood has been the best bet lately. Good quality, not too expensive. Just need to order 6 bags at a time to take advantage of free shipping and logistics of bags per box.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    The burn off is always done by the time I've got a steady temp. It's not a problem. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options

No?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    <-----RW snob here too.
    What a surprise...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69
    Options
    RRP said:
    Kinda hard not to have this data base amongst your bookmarks in case you run across regional brands. HTH
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    Wow!! Thanks RRP... Seeing this, reminded me I also used Nature-Glo.. My local butcher shop carries it. 

FYI.. I'm in GA.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    WOW!  It's not even Friday  =)=)=)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• erikjs71
    Options
    Do you have an Ace Hardware near you?  If so, see if they carry Rockwood. That's what a lot of people here use, and it's pretty good.
    Yup!! Just went to their website.. I've got 2-3 Ace's nearby.. gonna check it out.

Thanks!!
  • erikjs71
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on FOGO?  
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    What I like about rockwood:
    Low smoke profile - I can add the kind of smoke wood I want if I want smoke.
    I can start cooking as soon as the egg is to temp -no waiting on the white smoke to clear.  I have found rockwood to be consistent in these qualities. 

So yeah, add me to the snob set.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited July 2017
    Options
     @erikjs71  I've used FOGO. It's fine. Reminds me of KJ Big Block. 

I'm on team Rockwood now 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I mostly use Rockwood but find Royal Oak to be good as well, less chance of a less carbonized chunk here and there with RW. But I can generally see a piece that might cause some prolonged smoked and pitch it in the fire pit. 

Cowboy is the only brand I consider ****. Fogo being my favorite.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    Yup!! Just went to their website.. I've got 2-3 Ace's nearby.. gonna check it out.

Thanks!!
    Your local ACE may not carry it in stock, but they can special order it for you.  Depending on your local store, they may get deliveries from the warehouse that has it once or twice a week.  If they don't have it in stock, talk to the special order desk staff.  Give them SKU 8400772 - helps them find it quicker.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    You should absolutely try Royal Oak, but you also need to try at least one bag of Rockwood. You can decide for yourself whether the Rockwood is worth the additional cost. I firmly believe that it is.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    You are welcome.
    Next?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • erikjs71
    Options
    erikjs71 said:

Thanks!!
    Your local ACE may not carry it in stock, but they can special order it for you.  Depending on your local store, they may get deliveries from the warehouse that has it once or twice a week.  If they don't have it in stock, talk to the special order desk staff.  Give them SKU 8400772 - helps them find it quicker.
    Thanks Jtc...  I went to the Rockwood website, and they listed the few around me as dealers.. I'll give em a call to see if they have em in stock first.. Thanks for the heads up.
  • erikjs71
    Options
    You should absolutely try Royal Oak, but you also need to try at least one bag of Rockwood. You can decide for yourself whether the Rockwood is worth the additional cost. I firmly believe that it is.
    A few people have mentioned the price.. So is it that expensive??  Not sure if I mentioned.. but I bought a 35lb bag of FOGO and went through it.. It was about $45!!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    A few people have mentioned the price.. So is it that expensive??  Not sure if I mentioned.. but I bought a 35lb bag of FOGO and went through it.. It was about $45!!
    $21.95 from firecraft.com with free shipping on 5+ bags.  $24.95 in most Ace stores and other places.....depends on how much the freight costs them.  $17-20 tops in St. Louis.
  • erikjs71
    edited July 2017
    Options

ColtsFan said:
     @erikjs71  I've used FOGO. It's fine. Reminds me of KJ Big Block. 

I'm on team Rockwood now 
    <-----RW snob here too.

Ok.. Picked a bag up today.  $24.99 at my Ace in No. GA
  • erikjs71
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is there rest of my FOGO.. Anyone ever use this?  I feel like it will just clog the holes in the bottom of the egg and cause less airflow.