Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best aftermarket top vent?

Options
i see a lot of folks use aftermarket top vents on their eggs. I'm not crazy about the daisy wheel job that comes with the original egg, what's the best alternative?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Smokeware
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    +1
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I rarely use anything at all. When I do, it's the standard cast iron DFMT. Works just fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Just curious: what don't you like about the daisy wheel OEM top?
    In the six years I've had my BGE, I've never found anything to complain about it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Smokeware
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Smokeware
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Are there any aftermarket vents besides the Smokeware?

Just curious.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Just curious.
    I have this. Cost $6 when I bought it.I use it about once a year when I get caught in a downpour. Fits over an open top vent or over a DFMT. Basically, an umbrella.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1274085

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Just curious.
    I have this. Cost $6 when I bought it.I use it about once a year when I get caught in a downpour. Fits over an open top vent or over a DFMT. Basically, an umbrella.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1274085
    I've used one of those on occasion for a couple decades but I meant vents made specifically for kamados. The only one I can recall is the Smokeware but wasn't certain that there weren't others.

Just a curiosity thing - I have zero interest in buying a Smokeware or the like.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    In the six years I've had my BGE, I've never found anything to complain about it.
    Totally agree. The only possible thing to fix would be holes to side instead of on top in case of rain. The smokeware one does that but it's never really been an isssue for me. Just in theory . Plus I personally like the  look of the daisy wheel more. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I use the daisy wheel, but I purchased the smokeware just in case of down poors. 
    Madison, AL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Smokeware.. all the time
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Some people like the bling that the SmokeWare clearly provides versus a rusty Miss Daisey. But to each their own!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I use the daisy wheel. I like it like I used to like the original Daisy with the orange wheels in Dukes of hazard.  Looked at smoke ware and decided I did not need to change.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP said:
    Some people like the bling that the SmokeWare clearly provides versus a rusty Miss Daisey. But to each their own!
    My Daisy isn't rusty. Never has been.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Two thing I like about the smokeware:  I do not worry about rain.  I can leave it cracked and crack the bottom vent and the air movement keeps condensate from forming (which also keeps mold from forming if work keeps me from using the egg for a bit)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hear you! I wonder if your earlier response to this thread has anything to do with it.

I rarely use anything at all. When I do, it's the standard cast iron DFMT. Works just fine

Of course you also FREQUENTLY post how you never even use your BGE! Golly Gee - I wonder if that has anything to do with your rust free Miss Daisey as well.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Smokeware is an automatic accessory, just like a Thermopen.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I hear you! I wonder if your earlier response to this thread has anything to do with it.

I rarely use anything at all. When I do, it's the standard cast iron DFMT. Works just fine

Of course you also FREQUENTLY post how you never even use your BGE! Golly Gee - I wonder if that has anything to do with your rust free Miss Daisey as well.
    Just razzing you, Michael!  ;)
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    My successful process for cooking spatchcock with sweetcorn in the same cook means adding the sweetcorn partway through. Same with low n slow double cut pork chops. The successful bit is important because part of the success is remembering to put the daisy wheel cap to where it should be after closing the lid (mine always swings to full open position).

After a few cooks where I forgot to put the daisy wheel back to where it should have been and have the temp rocket and burn the sweetcorn (or something else), I bought the Smokeware cap. Problem solved.

One could argue I could be a more attentive cook, one could also argue to not cook after having had a glass or two of wine. Meh. Smokeware cap for the win(e). :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    That's what I do as well. Never failed me. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    My successful process for cooking spatchcock with sweetcorn in the same cook means adding the sweetcorn partway through. Same with low n slow double cut pork chops. The successful bit is important because part of the success is remembering to put the daisy wheel cap to where it should be after closing the lid (mine always swings to full open position).

After a few cooks where I forgot to put the daisy wheel back to where it should have been and have the temp rocket and burn the sweetcorn (or something else), I bought the Smokeware cap. Problem solved.

One could argue I could be a more attentive cook, one could also argue to not cook after having had a glass or two of wine. Meh. Smokeware cap for the win(e). :)
    Turn the daisy 90 degrees so that the screw is facing you. Problem solved. #nocaprequired. 
    Simple and clever. You remind me of my cats. Shame I didn't think/know about this earlier but such is life. :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

I rarely use anything at all. When I do, it's the standard cast iron DFMT. Works just fine. 

Just razzing you, Michael!  ;)
    Well, I guess we have both done our fair share of razzing over the years, eh? =)

Actually, I would think lack of use would cause more rust, not less. My DFMT lives in my egg. I use it once in a while, but only a few times a year. I just set it on a table out of the way for most cooks, back on the hot grid during shutdown and until the next cook. I never oil or clean it. Early on, I used it for every cook, regardless of temp. Now, only for 250° cooks... and since I've been semi-turbo cooking (300-320°), there are fewer and fewer of those. I've often wondered why it has never rusted to any significant degree.

Now, if you're finished busting my chops, you can get back to marking your Hasselbacks. :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Stock daisy wheel for me, but my Egg is under a carport type cover.

No rust on mine, either.....gets lots of use.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I buy a lot of useless stuff for my Eggdiction, however another top vent is not one.  I like the daisy wheel when I'm using one, and if it's raining I put up a pop up canopy and am sheltered that way.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options

Good point.
    If you egg in the elements, exposed, Smokeware is a must.  
    If your chill spot is covered, the DFMT will suffice, although goofy and outdated.

I've had bald spots from rain, snow, at home and camping.

All three of mine are outfitted and ready for just about any rain, snow, sleet, hail, no regrets.

I do like cracking them to keep the mold away, another plus IMO.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Focker said:

the DFMT will suffice, although goofy and outdated.
    I don't see it as "goofy" or "outdated". It works, and quite well. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:

the DFMT will suffice, although goofy and outdated.
    I don't see it as "goofy" or "outdated". It works, and quite well. 
    Quite well is a stretch, as long as you align both the stars, and check it every time you close the dome.

It works, but I was glad to move on, in several ways.  I don't see many peeps who regret one.

Smokeware should be OEM IMO.
    One of many parts, where BGE falls behind.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."