Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The American Way

King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This evening at 5pm L.A. (lower Alabama) time, I put a 7.5 lb. pork blade shoulder roast, Boston cut (that's the new butcher name for Boston Butt) on the EGG. I will take it off tomorrow at 5pm. I know, yall are thinking,, UMMMMM!, great dinner tomorrow. NOPE! I am going through this in preparation for Brunswick Stew, compliments of the recipe from djm5x9. I printed his recipe when I saw it on the forum and as I kept reading it, I knew this was the type of stuff that will make a Bulldog hug a hound. It sounds perfect for a winters day. It's so cold down here,, why just the other day, I heard a terrible commotion and when I went to investigate, I saw a beagle with a rabbit froze to his nose. It's 48 degrees on the island and the dogs are staying away from fire hydrants. I'm having to wear sweats over my swim suit. Yes, cold days take my mind away from seafood and put it on quisines that are more inline with landlubbers and highlanders. This stew should be a Boston Butt kicker. But that's not the best part. First thing in the morning (after I check the forum) I will start a big pot of Dr. Chickens chili, cooked in a giant Dutch oven on the BGE. I've been doing firehouse cooking long enough that I can read a recipe and rate the outcome. A fireman,, sorry ladies, I meant firefigher just naturally knows what's good for your innards. Doctor Chick's recipe is a winner and I will do full sea-trials tomorrow. Even though I hate to brag on yankee cooking, (what's that brine stuff all about anyway)I will give him a fair review. Are midwesterners yankees? Hey, you guys up north,, did yall have any midwesterners on yalls side. I don't remember any noteworthy ones wearing gray.. They must have been cowboys while we were fighting. Oh well, I'm going to give his recipe a try. Dave, we're friends, but be prepaired for a disappointment if I don't like it. You probably should have stuck with the butt. It's a universal winner that bridges all latitudes and longitudes. Come to think of it,, that may be why djm5x9 used it in his recipe. Being a southern boy, when I think of Brunswick, it brings back memories of blind dates at the bowling alley. Brunswick was stencled on the balls and the gate that fell in front of the pins you left standing. And, my northern brothers, I promise to brine something,, one day..

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    King-O-Coals,[p]Your Northern brothers, AND sisters, look forward to your post about your first experience with brined bird. You'll be converted in a snap. Promise.[p]Until then, we await with bated breath your Brunswick stew report. (Monaco Lanes, Denver, circa 1967. My dates weren't blind, but I bowled like I was.) ;-}[p]Cathy
  • Cat, oh-man!,,, I mean, shucks! (I didn't mean to say "oh-man") ,, I was trying to be politically correct and remain genderless in my remarks, but I blew it in the last sentance. Hey,, wyat can eye sey,, Eye'm old... I'll let you know how this junk turnes out..

• King-O-Coals, Hey, from up here you're all southerners, or "upper Mexicans" as we say. Hope that stew turns out good, and I have to look into the chili recipe. We like moose chili, but I missed out on hunting this year, so have to make do with beef. [p]Cat, I was probably at Monaco lanes in '68, or hanging at the Zanzibar.

• The King of Coals is actually the cook at a Mobile Waffle House. His claim to fame is discovering their hash browns could be topped with a slice of cheese, hence the term- "covered".[p]I would be suspicious of any recipes from him that didn't include some degree of frying.

• big bertha lover,
    I love it!!! I hope Guru of Grease looks at this post! You've got to join us more often. Your subtle humor would be a great addition![p]Dr. C

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    King-O-Coals,let's give them a short lesson on southernisms.
    If you are from the northern states and planining on visting or moving to the south,there are a few things you should know that will help you adapt to the difference in lifestyles:[p]The North has sun-dried toe-mah-toes,
    The South has 'mater samiches.[p]The North has coffee houses,
    The south has Waffle houses.[p]The North has switchblade knives,
    The South has Lee Press on Nails.[p]The North has double last names,
    The South has double first names.[p]The North has Ted Kennedy,
    The South has Jesse Helms.[p]The North has an ambulance,
    The S outh has an amalance.[p]The North has the Mafia,
    The South has the Klan.[p]The North has Indy car races,
    The South has stock car races.[p]The North has Cream or Wheat,
    The South has grits.[p]The North has green salads,
    The South has craw dads.[p]The North has the rust belt,
    The South has the Bible Belt.[p]If you run your car into a ditch,don't panic.Four men in a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly.Don't try to help them,just stay out of their way.This is what they live for.
    Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.
    Don't buy food at this store.[p]Remember,"ya'll"is singular,"all ya'll"is plural,and "all a'lls" is plural possessive.[p]Get used to hearing"you ain't from round here,are ya?"[p]You may hear a Southerner say"Ought!"to a dog or child.This is short for "Ya'll ought not to do that!" and is equivalent of saying "No!"[p]Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying.They can't understand you either.[p]The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol,"truck or "big'ol" boy.Most Northerners began their Southern-influenced dialect this way.All of them are in denial about it.[p]The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.[p]Be advised that "He needed kill'n" is a valid defense here.[p]If there is a predication of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow,your presence is required at the local grocery store.It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not.You just have to go there.[p]Do not be surprised to find that 10 year olds own their own shotguns,they are proficient marksmen,and their mammas taught them how to aim.[p]If you do settle in the South and bear children,don't think we will accept them as Southerners.After all,if the cat had kittens in the oven,we wouldn't call "em biscuits.[p]I hope this clears up some things.
    YB

• Dr. Chicken, oh I'm sure he saw it. He's the only one here that knows I call my Holland grill "big bertha". To him I say,, have an-"ice" day. :)

• YB,
    I pray fervently (that's wid a lot of gusto!) that you and the King-O-Coals don't never git together! I mean that could cause as much confusion an' emotion as Richard Petty, Elvis Presley and Ray Stevens showin' up at the same go-cart races! There ain't enough Nat'l Guard out there to handle it.[p]Dr. C[p]p.s.: The Nat'l Guard are all out there kissin' der Aunt's or der sisters!

• Frosen Chosen, one day I'm coming up there to check things out. I have the same desire to spend some time up there as I do the Carribean. I will have to hook-up with someone who knows how to survive. I've always wanted to be snowed in all winter in Montana. But like I said, it would have to be someone that knows how to prepare for it. I'll bet moose is fine meat.

• YB, u'r truly a son of the south. I know that cleared up a lot of questions for our northern buddies.

• King-O-Coals & YB
    I was sitting in that fine upscale musice hall, The Flora-Bama about 10 years ago when the guy picking & sanging stopped the show to ask if there were any Yankees in the house. There were a few, not many (it was getting pretty late) and I'll always remember his request to those few. He ask them to go back home and tell all their friends: "There's only two things a good ol southern boy really fears, a loaded 45 and a one way U Haul... headed south." hehehe

• CHANGE OF PLANS. I woke up this morning and ran downstairs with the excitement of a kid at Christmas to check on the butt. As I walked up and felt the dome, it was cold to the touch. The Polder showed just above 100 internal. Not being able to bare the shame of letting my coals go out,I walked out on the pier and was about to throw my worthless body into the fridgid waters. My loving wife ran to my rescue and shouted, "don't do it, I need you,, wait until you finish making the stew". She's sweet like that. So I committed another un-pardonable sin. I took the lifeless butt with the Poulder still impailed in it, upstairs and put it in the oven at 270 degrees. There's something un-natural about looking at my Polder sitting there with the wire running into a modern electric oven. I performed CPR on the egg and it began to show some life again. Once it's pulse returned, I put on the bonless chicken breasts and thighs to prepair for the Brunswick Stew. I am putting the Chili on hold for a few days and today will be devoted to cooking this stew. Stay tuned. You chili lovers hold your water, I will get to that in a day or two.

• TJin Bham, ahhh, the Flora-Bama. An icon on the beach. My neighbors, 2 doors down are from Connecticut. They've been living down here for many years. Every July during the Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo, their kids and grandkids come down to vist with them and we re-create the Civil War with water balloons. The people in the house between us either load up in their boat and high-tail-it out of range, or just keep their heads down and watch the carnage. It usually ends around dinner time and we visit each others camp sites for a cool one and a sampling from the grills.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    King-O-Coals,[p]Your status has been reduced from "King" to Duke-O-Coals

• YB
    King-O-Coals,
    You can teach the next class,just having fun.
    YB

• YB
    TJin Bham,
    That's cute.
    YB

• YB
    King-O-Coals,
    Their is 75 houses in my neighborhood,about 4 families from the south the rest from the north,i have to say they are some pretty nice folks,most of them are engineers at the Savannah river site,"bomb plant" .
    YB

• YB
    Dr. Chicken,
    I just called Larry at the Big Green Egg store in Atlanta,he said next Eggfest King-O-Coals and myself would be next to each other cooking,that way we would not distrub the rest of the people.
    YB

• YB,
    Did he make arrangements for Elvis, Richard Petty & Ray Stevens too?[p]Dr. C

• YB
    Dr. Chicken,
    The ex-coach of the Atlanta Falcons will take care of Elvis,Jerry......something.I think on this wet and cold night in Georgia it will be steaks,baked sweet onions,baked potatoes and Augusta's favorite salad "The Green Jacket salad".
    YB

• Grumpa
    YB,[p]hmmmm...tell me more about the "green Jacket Salad"[p]You've gotten me curious :~)

• YB
    Bob,
    There use to be a restaurant right across the street from the Augusta National golf club named The Green Jacket,i wonder where they got that name from, and had a salad everyone loved,my wife was in a hen's club and they published a cook book,one of the women in the club had the recipe for the salad and put it in the book,i posted it under sides and such "Augusta's Favorite Salad",try it i think you will like it.
    YB

• King-O-Coals, glad to answer any Q's if you decide to come up....around 4th of July best WX, Sept. best fishing, and if its snow you're after, hey, no problems!

• Grumpa
    YB,[p]Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks great and I'll try it next time I do steak (and that won't be long). [p]How the weather over your way? We are all iced over again. Why can't it just snow instead of all this #$%@ ice!

• YB,
    That don't sound bad at all!

• YB
    Bob,
    The weather here is not to bad,we have a little ice but not much,it's about 34 degrees and light rain.I have about 30 of my employees on standby, if it gets bad we all go to work,and don't come home until it's over, you can't close a hospital.We can close the school and that helps in bad weather.My brother lives up your way and has been hit pretty hard,he lives in Duluth at St.Ives,he went yesterday and bought a generator after freezing to death for 3 days.I hope everything goes well for ya'll.
    YB

• YB, great! The only reason I enjoy paying taxes it for Americans to have great bombs and good roads. Tell them "way-to-go"!

• big bertha lover, I'm sorry for my last post. I have since found out that you are not really the Guru. Any misrepresentation of him to you is wrong and totally out of place. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. I would rather have my skin stripped from my living body in 1 inch strips, and salt applied to the wounds, than to insult anyone to that degree. I'm going right down to my workshop and smash my index finger with a framers hammer just as a token of my sincere regret of the error.. :^)

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    YB,[p]Is Florida southern? As someone who grew up in Tampa, I would sasy no, but go just a few miles east to Plant City and all those other towns between Tampa and Orlando and FLA is definately south.[p]Fritz
  • Fritz, it seems that no one is originally from Fla., they just moved there from somewhere else. :^)