Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DO THIS!! You can thank me later!

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Capers are flower buds.  They're fragrant, a bit bitter and very salty.  Use sparingly if you serve to someone who doesn't know if they like them.  Nothing terribly disagreeable with them.  I like to eat them by the spoonful.
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oops sent that too soon. Pat will love the salty anchovie taste, but how pungent is the taste of capers? Also if too strong would mashing them alone with the anchovies into a paste make sense rather than serving them up on a plate and hating the taste? 
    @rrp to me capers are like little pickly salt bombs.  Kind of like a green olive taste but usually pretty briney.  When we use them we rarely add salt to the dish and it is perfect. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Capers are flower buds.  They're fragrant, a bit bitter and very salty.  Use sparingly if you serve to someone who doesn't know if they like them.  Nothing terribly disagreeable with them.  I like to eat them by the spoonful.
    Pat loves salt like you can't believe, but will chomping down on some be more like grabbing a teaspoon of kosher salt or something else? Guess that is why I was asking if I should mash them along with the anchovies if that is even possible. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Yes please. Thanks for sharing.....seriously. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    Pat loves salt like you can't believe, but will chomping down on some be more like grabbing a teaspoon of kosher salt or something else? Guess that is why I was asking if I should mash them along with the anchovies if that is even possible. 
    Ron, I think you could mash them, but maybe have Pat taste them and see what she thinks.  You can omit them from any recipe.
    Options
    @RRP, Ron, I never use capers. Too salty to suit my doc. However, I found a jar of organic capers with only 90 mg of sodium per tsp. Still a little high (for me), but not horrible. They still taste quite salty (to me anyway).

Nature's Promise brand, sold by Stop & Shop in the NE and, I'm pretty sure, Giant Food in the Mid Atlantic. Tasted pretty salty even at a fraction of the sodium that was in the jar next to them. 

Ingredients list in order: organic capers, water, salt, organic white wine vinegar. 

Now if if I could just find fresh anchovies. Bottled fishies are definitely NOT low sodium! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ron, eat some from the jar, they are good. if you find the salt too strong, a quick rinse under cold water will cure that, dont mush them, its part of the dish.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    actually rereading the recipe the capers will lose some flavor in the hot oil.  melting the anchovies in hot oil til they disappear is a good way to serve anchovies to people that say they hate them, they will never know. when i make lasagna, the center layer of sauce is loaded with them =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited July 2017
    Options
    RRP, capers are my secret stealth delicious ingredient in egg salad !

Egg salad sandwiches with capers + dill say "It's summer time!" to me.

Probably when my wonderful mom would make us egg salad sandwiches with bacon and tomatoes on skillet-grilled toast after summer morning swim practice as a kid.

Thanks @Carolina Q for posting - it's definitely on my summer list.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Capers, anchovies, olives, pickles, etc, that are too salty can be soaked in fresh water overnight which will greatly reduce the sodium content so you are so damn content.
    Options
    Its later, thanks it was good
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    poster said:
    Its later, thanks it was good
    Glad you liked it! I just made it for my 101 year old mom a couple of days ago. I even told her about the anchovies... and she liked it anyway! =) She sorta picked at the asparagus I served as a side though. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Michael, thanks for this great recipe and the actual link to the NYT recipe. The Epicurious recipe calls for a 400° oven, but the video and NYT both specify 350°...FYI.

I found a GREAT tip on peeling garlic in an old French cooking cookbook. It will change your life! Soak the unpeeled cloves in warm water (I used hot water) for a few minutes. No more stickiness, just cut the tips off the cloves and the peel comes right off. You can thank me now.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, I thought someone already posted the 400 vs 350° issue, but maybe not. I doubt it would matter anyway. I didn't post the Times recipe. It was posted by @Theophan.

THANKS for the garlic tip! =) Haven't tried it yet, but if it works, you are my hero!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    No offense, Michael, while this first attempt was ok and Pat thought it was great which I knew she would as I swear she could eat 5T of salt with her Wheaties or anything else she can pour salt on! Perhaps I over cooked/burnt/whatever the capers, garlic, and anchovies, but I don't think so! Oh well...yes I will try it again, but maybe next time I'll go for shorter cooking times. 
    BTW I went with a cast iron skillet which worked just fine! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I found a GREAT tip on peeling garlic in an old French cooking cookbook. It will change your life! Soak the unpeeled cloves in warm water (I used hot water) for a few minutes. No more stickiness, just cut the tips off the cloves and the peel comes right off. You can thank me now.
    @Judy Mayberry, a great tip indeed! Just tried it with a couple of cloves and it worked a treat. And if you're going to smash them with the side of your knife, you don't even have to cut the tip off. Just soak, smash and peel... no more glue! =)

Speaking of "old French cookbooks", if you don't already have it, check out A Guide to Modern Cookery by Auguste Escoffier, 1907.

https://ia800205.us.archive.org/5/items/cu31924000610117/cu31924000610117.pdf

Courtesy of the Cornell University Library. They say... "There are no known copyright restrictions in the United States on the use of the text." 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited July 2017
    Options

RRP said:
    No offense, Michael, while this first attempt was ok and Pat thought it was great which I knew she would as I swear she could eat 5T of salt with her Wheaties or anything else she can pour salt on! Perhaps I over cooked/burnt/whatever the capers, garlic, and anchovies, but I don't think so! Oh well...yes I will try it again, but maybe next time I'll go for shorter cooking times. 
    BTW I went with a cast iron skillet which worked just fine! 
    @RRP, I normally shy away from recipes that have such salty ingredients, but this looked so good, I couldn't resist. There are only a couple of anchovy filets in there (for one or two servings) and I used capers that were far less salty than normal, only 90 mg per tablespoon as I recall. Soaking would reduce the sodium in both even further. And I always reduce the amount of salt any recipe calls for, by at least half - sometimes I omit it completely.  Here, I think I just used a small pinch.

The capers do come out a little crispy, but I kinda like that. And I loved the browned garlic. Read the comments at the bottom of the linked page. I think the crunchy capers are mentioned.

Glad Pat liked it, hope you like it better next time. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I made this on the egg(s) last night. Used one egg to facilitate the sauteeing portion of the recipe and the other to act as the oven. 

I also did not have anchovies so I used anchovy paste. Also at the end, I threw in zucchini noodles to soak up the sauce.

Will be making this one again - there were no leftovers.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It's better in the oven? Only kidding.....I'll give her a try....can't go wrong with those basic ingredients.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    You had me at Capers
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    RRP said:
    Please NO flames for my stupidity, but honestly I have never had capers in my life and I bet my wife has not either. I want to fix this recipe on Sunday sort of as a surprise to my wife. I should actually say as a double surprise as she does not like dark poultry meat. Should I cool it on the caper amount? I'd hate to put a double whammy on this surprise meal.
    Capers are just briny. I've broiled chicken breasts for years with a topping of olive oil and capers. The flavor of the capers melts down into the chicken. People are reluctant to eat the capers but remark about a unique taste in the chicken that they really like. I hope this helps.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Finally got around to making this. It was delicious! Thanks for sharing @Carolina Q

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Glad you liked it. I'm visiting Mom and just bought all that stuff this afternoon. She wanted to know what capers were. =) She swears she doesn't like thighs. I know she used to, but somewhere in the last 101+ years, she decided she didn't. We'll just see about that! ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut