Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with stripped bolt/nut that holds bands together. XL BGE (SEE PIC)

Hi all, So I needed to adjust my XL BGE lid as it had an underbite, when loosing in top band bolt it stripped. I may have tried to tighten it tight, but I have noticed when having the egg at high temperatures for long period it naturally gets out of wack.  How tight generally do you tighten this bolt?

Any idea where I can get this?  It would have to have the small square on the bolt to lock into the hinge.

Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    @RRP  any thoughts? you are the guru...

Northern Jersey
  • When I had to refurbish my large that had been neglected by previous owner, I went to fastenal and was able to source all the band screw hardware, including the acorn nuts
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    edited July 2017
    It's just a carriage bolt (5/16-18TPI to be exact), they are a dime a dozen at most hardware stores (ask for gr.5). I believe the torque on the large is 10ft./lbs not sure if its the same on the XL but likely. Most don't have as many issues with band slippage on the XL vs. the L where it happens a lot and it is kind of just something you live with, unless you buy the new style bands (again on the L not XL) The bolts will be bent when tightened properly
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    What you're looking for is called a carriage bolt. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nutshellml
    Thanks, i'll swing by local Ace hardware in hopes they have loose bolts.
    Northern Jersey
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks, i'll swing by local Ace hardware in hopes they have loose bolts.
    Any ACE worthy of the sign out front and part of the ACE franchise will have them! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nutshellml
    They only had gr.2. Should work for quick fix while I wait for gr 5 or BGe to send me out one 
    Northern Jersey