Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Woohoo!!!!!  Got home from vacation late last night and found @fiver29 's full package waiting on my doorstep right on schedule!

Very stoked with the generosity.  I'm not sure if I should drink this bourbon barrel syrup on the rocks or on pancakes.

Lot's of great local Ohio BBQ treats and being that I'm just about out of rub and love hot sauce, I can tell you where I'm going to start.   Or maybe I'll make ribs and just use a little of everything.  Thanks again, John.  Very well packed as well.  Where do you get all those foam envelopes that seem perfect for wrapping bottles?

And thank you @cazzy for continuing to organize this fun event.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll just grill some hot dogs.  That Indian's ballpark mustard is staring me down.
     Glad it made it safely and was ready when you got home!

I recently moved.  That was all packing material from my move I got at Home Depot.  The foam wraps are from the plate set they sell.  You put a plate in each sleeve.  I got more than one use out of those as they doubled as your jar wraps!

I hope you enjoy the rubs and sauces.  Cheers!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Well the good people at USPS finally dropped my package off. Apparently something broke and the hazmat people had to make sure it wasn't a danger to the good people of Franklin, TN. 

Thanks again @tonyled.  Looks like most everything made it...most importantly the Whataburger Spicy Ketchup! The note was in a ziploc but was covered in something that smelled delicious. 

As an added bonus, Tony saw my wife was pregnant and sent a second package with some treats for us to sample once she delivers #2. (That ironically made it before this one)

Hey...what do y'all wanna bet the post office doesn't get this box back?

Thanks @cazzy!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Oh and before someone else gets to it, really excited about that Pecan Meat Church that came in the mail today. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFFdy2NSdE

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Who else is still waiting?  Message me!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nissan97240
    Options
    Sorry for the late post I just got back in town but the good thing is I had a package waiting for me.  I want to thank @Branson for the amazing package I received.  The package weigh was 30 pounds so you went way above and beyond.  I can't wait to start trying everything.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice....what was the wood type?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm going to say we saved the best for last. My package was delivered on Friday - unfortunately I was out of town until today. I had my neighbor intercept my package and hold it for me until I got home. 
    @Coobook_Chip Hit a home run for sure. I really appreciate that he picked some items based on what I post - most thoughtful. 

I will certainly enjoy this sample from VA. That's right for you eagle eyed eggheads - that's a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve Very Old... My life just got WAY better. 
    I was excited to learn that DP rub is made in Manassas, VA. I was there last year with students for the Team America Rocketry Challenge nationals and never knew!
    I am anxious to make jerk chicken - I've never had it before and thrilled to get the marinade. I also received the generous gift of a lifetime subscription to Chip's Make Your Own Cookbook. As you can see there was much more. Thanks again @Cookbook_Chip You'll be seeing posts made with this goodness soon. 
    (Footnote: My wife banished me from the kitchen and forbade me cooking any more food after the 4th
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Nice....what was the wood type?
    Red Oak. Central Coast staple.

Pinot Noir Stave from a barrel I made into a chair.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I'm going to say we saved the best for last. My package was delivered on Friday - unfortunately I was out of town until today. I had my neighbor intercept my package and hold it for me until I got home. 
    @Coobook_Chip Hit a home run for sure. I really appreciate that he picked some items based on what I post - most thoughtful. 

I will certainly enjoy this sample from VA. That's right for you eagle eyed eggheads - that's a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve Very Old... My life just got WAY better. 
    I was excited to learn that DP rub is made in Manassas, VA. I was there last year with students for the Team America Rocketry Challenge nationals and never knew!
    I am anxious to make jerk chicken - I've never had it before and thrilled to get the marinade. I also received the generous gift of a lifetime subscription to Chip's Make Your Own Cookbook. As you can see there was much more. Thanks again @Cookbook_Chip You'll be seeing posts made with this goodness soon. 
    (Footnote: My wife banished me from the kitchen and forbade me cooking any more food after the 4th
    I am SO glad the Jefferson made it!  Enjoy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Who else is still waiting?  Message me!
    Mine never made it but think it was on Fed Ex end
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Just returned home from a wonderful vacation and this was waiting for me
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Well the good people at USPS finally dropped my package off. Apparently something broke and the hazmat people had to make sure it wasn't a danger to the good people of Franklin, TN. 

Thanks again @tonyled.  Looks like most everything made it...most importantly the Whataburger Spicy Ketchup! The note was in a ziploc but was covered in something that smelled delicious. 

As an added bonus, Tony saw my wife was pregnant and sent a second package with some treats for us to sample once she delivers #2. (That ironically made it before this one)

Hey...what do y'all wanna bet the post office doesn't get this box back?

Thanks @cazzy!
    I know most of the rubs and sauces pretty well but I am very familiar with the William-Chris wines. Small boutique winery we have been enjoying for a few years. Enjoy them all
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Thank you to my Razorback Elf. In addition to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, I received a wonderful selection of local goodies. Can't wait to try them all.

The first box was damaged in transit and UPS declared it a total loss. My elf contacted me and apologized and sent a new box.

The Gators don't play the Razorbacks this year, so the Razor Dust can be safely used. :smiley:

Thanks again.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • HofstraJet
    Options

Hope I never see this in my UPS app again:

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yeah that sucked. I had a few other things I wasnt able to send in my rush to get the second package to you. Sorry for the delay!

Little Rock, AR

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Hope I never see this in my UPS app again:

Chuck Noland would never let that happen to you!  Ship Fedex next time!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I went with usps the second time. I cant imagine why the entire shipment had to be discarded. I guess thats just what they do if a bottle breaks. 

Little Rock, AR

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I went with usps the second time. I cant imagine why the entire shipment had to be discarded. I guess thats just what they do if a bottle breaks. 
    Likely a gas grill owner in the bowels of the post office. It was July 4th and a day off you know. I sure he or she offered to properly discard. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cazzy
    Options
    JMCXL said:

I don't see a picture
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Yeah that sucked. I had a few other things I wasnt able to send in my rush to get the second package to you. Sorry for the delay!
    No worries. Thanks again. Hopefully I will make it to see Gators-Razorbacks in Fayetteville one day and can meet up for a tailgate!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Sounds great!  Most of that stuff is made in arkansas. A couple of them aren't but I like them so I sent them. I really like the mcclards bbq sauce. Its kinda sweet but a little spicy, too. And the southern red hot sauce is great. I can eat a sleeve of saltines just dropping that sauce on them. Not super hot, just has a great flavor. Hope you find something you like. 

Little Rock, AR

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Cookbook_Chip No pics - but that DP mole rub is really good. My wife commented multiple times while it was cooking how good it smelled. I put it on boneless skinless chicken thighs and made tacos. I had Mexican coleslaw on the chicken and homemade flour tortillas. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • tonkaegger
    tonkaegger Posts: 35
    Options
    Package came Friday as I was leaving town. Opened today and Wow!  A big thanks to Dave in MA, who obviously has great taste in rubs.

I'm hooked on the exchange for next year!  Big thanks to Cazzy also.

Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• cazzy
    Options
    Package came Friday as I was leaving town. Opened today and Wow!  A big thanks to Dave in MA, who obviously has great taste in rubs.

I'm hooked on the exchange for next year!  Big thanks to Cazzy also.

TX BBQ Rub Co. makes great product.  I have sent it for every exchange that I've participated in.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Cookbook_Chip No pics - but that DP mole rub is really good. My wife commented multiple times while it was cooking how good it smelled. I put it on boneless skinless chicken thighs and made tacos. I had Mexican coleslaw on the chicken and homemade flour tortillas. 
    @SciAggie cool!  I know @Nature Boy puts a lot of work into their blends.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    cazzy said:
    JMCXL said:

I don't see a picture
    Sorry something happened??
    nice stash from Derrick (didn't see a note so that's all I got)

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    This was really fun. The first notice went out on June 2nd and we are still enjoying the pictures and the gifts we got. That is well of a month of goodwill, fun and good eating.

I wasn't around for last years exchange but I am looking forward to many more to come.

Thanks again @cazzy

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Did I miss something !!!!

I didn't read through all the thread.....but I LOOOOVVVEEEE these exchanges !!!

I've never been disappointed....and always excited !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    First post. Hey everyone? I've been lurking for a while and this post inspired me to chime in. 

While I'm far too inexperienced to contribute to something like this, I'm thinking it might be in my best interest to let some of you do my shopping for me for a bit. Can I get a shopping list?! Lol.  

Looking forward to learning a lot and contributing in some small way. This exchange is the perfect introduction to the knowledge and hospitality present here.

Happy cooking everybody!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Welcome. Get in and post some cooks. Get involved!

Little Rock, AR