Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venturing into brisket land this weekend

Options
This will be my first brisket and going in a little blind.  I have a 6 pound flat and will cook around 225 until internal hits 195.  Is that headed in the right direction?  Foil pan or just on the grid?

Comments

• Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Options
    I would start probing it around 190. When it probes like butter then you are good. It's about feel more so than the temp. Not all parts of the flat will probe good so keep that in mind.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks. It's on now. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Personally I think 250-275F makes for a better brisket. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Agreed.  And if cooking just a flat, I'd wrap in foil when the meat temp hits 160-170 and the bark looks decent.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• r2davis65
    Options
    The Egg settled around 250 so that's what I'm going with. It's cooking a little faster than I had planned as the internal is at 152 in a little less than 3 hours. I do plan on wrapping in foil with a little beef broth when it hits 165 and has a good bark showing. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    They always seem like they are cooking fast to that point. It's what happens after that, that takes a while. Good luck - you've already gotten some good advice. Just relax and enjoy the cook.

My neighbor (an egg newbie) cooked his first brisket last weekend. I have been helping him through the learning process as he has only ever had a gas grill. I was out of town and not around to offer assistance but here's the series of events he shared:

He put it on the night before, ran out of lump between 3:00 and 5:00 AM, reloaded and restarted the egg and put the meat back on, lost track of his temp on the way up and it got to 415 degrees - brisket went from 150 internal to 190 internal in 3 hours, pulled it off without probing for tenderness (just pulled it at 190), immediately FTC'd for 7 hrs and hit a complete homerun! I do need to help him with slicing across the grain. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't!

Here's the pic he sent to me.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
  • r2davis65
    Options
    The final product.  Good learning experience and something to build on for next time. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    How was it?
    I found cooking flats a losing proposition. Always ended up dry. I love to cook full packers though. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • r2davis65
    Options
    blind99 said:
    How was it?
    I found cooking flats a losing proposition. Always ended up dry. I love to cook full packers though. 

Not as moist as I had hoped, and I added too much rub.  I used Bad Byron and it had a little too much bite for the family.  My brisket game still needs a little work.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @r2davis65- flats have a very narrow margin for declaring victory.  And regarding brisket-only slice on demand as it will dry out before your eyes.  Looks like a solid outcome.
    BTW- everyone's brisket game benefits from the next cook, the journey never ends.  The friggin cow drives the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2017
    Options
    r2davis65 said:
    blind99 said:
    How was it?

Not as moist as I had hoped, and I added too much rub.  I used Bad Byron and it had a little too much bite for the family.  My brisket game still needs a little work.
    Bad Byron's can be salty but I think the culprit here is how thick your slices are. They are at least double the thickness that is standard for brisket. I think if you were to cut it in roughly 1/8' slices next time, you will find the Amount of rub you used is probably about right.  Those thick slices have a ton of rub surface on them so it's going to be much stronger than a thinner slice. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX