Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza set up on XLBGE with Adjustable Rig (Tips to not burn gasket also)

Options
I'm sure this has been asked an answered (if so, link would suffice :).  I'm doing some pizza's tomorrow I don't have the platesetter, but do have the adjustable rig and an Emile Henry pizza stone.  Anyone with any advice or pics of their setup would be appreciated.

ALSO - Last time I did pizza (over a year ago), I know way to long of a time in between, I burnt off my gasket.  I have now replaced it with a Rutland gasket from @RRP  It's been great so far, but want to avoid burning this one off. Any tips?

Thanks!

Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Well...if you manage to get your BGE beyond 2,200 degrees at the gasket level then you will be the first person in recorded history to go THAT HIGH! PLEASE don't worry about hurting that Rutland gasket!!! YOU can NOT do it!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well...if you manage to get your BGE beyond 2,200 degrees at the gasket level then you will be the first person in recorded history to go THAT HIGH! PLEASE don't worry about hurting that Rutland gasket!!! YOU can NOT do it!!!
    LOL... Good to know :)
    Northern Jersey
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Do you just have the AR or the woo with the ceramic stone in place of the placesetter too?  Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you actually have.

i have the AR with woo/stone combo.  At least I think that is what it's called.  I put the woo and stone in, place BGE grate on that and then put the AR on the bge grate.  Place pizza stone on top rack of the AR and preheat everything at around 500-550 degrees.

if you don' t have any way to cook indirect, not sure I can help as I have never tried to make a pizza cooking direct.
    XL BGE
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Yes I have exactly same. AR combo woo ceramic stone. I was planning on doing it exactly how you mentioned.   Thanks!  

Was concerned about temp i see some do 650* I plan on doing a thinner crust. 
    Northern Jersey
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Just be aware that if your crust recipe contains sugar or oil it can burn when temps are over 500* so keep a watch on it at 650.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • nutshellml
    Options
    pab said:
    Just be aware that if your crust recipe contains sugar or oil it can burn when temps are over 500* so keep a watch on it at 650.
    Yes, both teaspoon sugar and tablespoon oil. 
    Northern Jersey
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    pab said:
    Yes, both teaspoon sugar and tablespoon oil. 
    I use a recipe with a teaspoon of sugar and oil and have never burnt my crust at 600. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have a woo and the extension for it.  I actually do direct and cook at 450-500 with my stone on the extension so it's up in the dome. If I want to add a slight char to the crust I'll slide the pizza on the standard raised grid for for nothing more than 10-15 seconds and it comes out great.  I also use sugar in my crust