Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough question please help!

Options
BGE Pit Crew
BGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi ya'll,[p]I pulled two balls of pizza dough from the freezer this morning and thawed through?:)(: (spelling/grammar?). What is the best way to let the dough sit and/or set? (on the counter, in the fridge, outside, in the garbage)? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. We are EGGING the pizza's tomorrow night for the GATOR game! Thanks and keep smokin, Dana

Comments

• egghead
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    This is a tough one, so I'm not sure of correct answer, but I think you should eliminate "outside, in the garbage." Hope this helps.

• jwirlwind
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    I would try using the dough. One thing you must remember, working the dough until it is no longer elastic, or rolls out and stays in place.Working the glutin. lol This could take up to half hour. I would also build the pizza on parchment paper and cooking it on the parchment paper. Much easier getting off the pizza stone. [p]Chef Jerry

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    you could also try rolling the edge of the dough with cheese in it. Yum Yum[p]Chef Jerry

• BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Thank you for the info! I have the two pizza doughs on a platter sitting at room temperature ask we speak. Should I leave them there until tomorrow evening when ready for the EGG? Thanks, Dana
  • Lucky Duck
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    I have frozen my dough and thawed it in the 'fridge. When your ready, take it out and let the dough come up to room temp... Maybe 60*. By the time you get it rolled or stretched it will be room temp. Keep it wrapped in plastic while thawing or it will sweat and make a mess. [p]G'luck...[p]Phil D' Pizza Duck

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    I would put it in a ziplock bag in the fridge. -RP

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    AZRP,
    Zip Locks work great. [p]Phil, D' Zipper Duck

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    It being the Tn. game, I am sure that whatever you do
    it will be ok!

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    place in large food grade covered plasic container & allow to thaw in the fridge overnight & then let it warm up 2 hours before use.
    or place in the container and leave in a warm area to thaw and grow to be ready for use.

make sure that the dough is rubbed down with a very thin layer of say olive oil, to prevent drying out.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,[p]Well one trick is to leave it wrapped. If freeze dough and/or bread you should always let it thaw in whatever package you froze it in. That way it won't dry out. [p]As for the dough I would let it thaw in the fridge but you can just let it sit on the counter but I would keep an eye on it.