Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I hate my dishwasher

Options
DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
Not really but I'm in the market for a new one. I've had good luck with KitchenAid over the years but I wondering if I should get a Bosch. Both are equally quiet now. I'm concerned with cycle times and overall cleaning capability. What do you Bosch owners think of yours? Looking at the 800 series. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My parents have a Bosch and love it. If my dad buys something it's hours and hours and hours of research into it.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Not really but I'm in the market for a new one. I've had good luck with KitchenAid over the years but I wondering if I should get a Bosch. Both are equally quiet now. I'm concerned with cycle times and overall cleaning capability. What do you Bosch owners think of yours? Looking at the 800 series. 

Had a Bosch at my last house.  I was a big fan of both its cleaning ability and quietness. 

At the time I purchased it, I had to make a couple sacrifices.  I can't speak to current models, but at the time all Bosch units seemed to lack a heated dry and a disposal system in the drain.  Both of those features were common with other dishwashers we researched but opted for the reliability and quietness of the Bosch. 

I was very satisfied with the overall performance, but wouldn't sacrifice disposal if I were forced to choose today. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I have a Kenmore that is actually a rebadged Bosch. It is at least ten years old now and has been trouble free. Large stainless tub. Very quiet. 

It does not have a heating element to dry dishes - it relies on what they call "condensation drying" which took us a couple weeks to get used to. If you follow their instructions and leave the door closed long enough before removing dishes all your metal/glass/ceramic type items will be dry. Plastic items...not so much. On the plus side - no more burned/melted plastic items that may slip thru the racks. :)

Would get another Bosch dishwasher when the time comes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I researched this recently and concluded the Bosch 800 series would be my choice.  Will replace our KA POS in town.  No personal experience though Michael.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    As with all appliances, Miele.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We have a Bosch here at work and it does not dry dishes at all.  My BIL had one at his house and hates it for the drying issue.     It is being moved to the downstairs kitchen.  
    As far as cycle times. . . You are in the 2 hour range.  The sales guy said the Germans are very concerned with energy use and because of that, Bosch doesn't dry. 

I just put 2 kitchen aids in my remodeled house and like them a lot.  I can't tell you what the cycle time is as we just moved in and run them before bed.  There is no timer on them like the Bosch has.   They are so very quiet.  I have to put an ear close to them just to see if they are running.   They are model KDTE204E. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We have a Bosch and it cleans fine.  Durable.  Terrible at drying (especially plastic) and doesn't have the spooge-macerator.  You learn to deal with that, and the trade-off is it doesn't melt stuff.  

If you read Consumer Reports, at least what I read years ago, pretty much all dishwashers are excellent with the cleaning part.  There's not much of an engineering challenge to squirt water over a couple shelves of dishes.

So you pay for reliability, fancy-schmancy stainless steel interiors, exteriors, lights that shine on the floor, quiet operation, efficiency and general build quality.
    Options
    I dont know what I have.. too lazy to go downstairs and look.  But.... while it works great some things I found interesting or dont like.

1. They figured out how to get more cubic ft in the inside but it sure made it tougher to install.  Used to be there was at least 8" under a Dishwasher to run the drain, power and fresh water.  This one is at best 5" and with tile getting my hand under to install was challenging.
    2. My wife wanted the clean no button look on front- sure it looks nice but you have no idea if the dishes are clean.  After we had it I realized many models we saw had a small indicator light on the front to show you status.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I have a new Bosch. It cleans fine. But the racks suck.

But the bottom rack is not at all adjustable, and all the rows of tines are set up for thin plates. It is impossible to efficiently fill it with rows of bowls of any size - soup bowls, mixing bowls anything. you have to wedge them in at odd angles and it wastes a ton of space. This is a huge step back from my previous Bosch. 

I didn't pay any attention to the rack layout when I purchased. Big mistake.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I went through the whole dishwasher research thing last year. Ended up with a Bosch 800 series.
    As others have stated, no heating element for drying. But if you keep the door closed, the temp from the heated clean water does dry fairly well. Still puddling water on the bottom of water glasses.
    Also no disposal but very easy to get to stainless filters on the bottom. We do scrape and rinse before we load into machine.
    The energy efficiency, quietness and the quality of the interior parts were my selling point. Perfect? No, but I would buy it again. We normally set timer to run in the middle of the night because of cheaper energy costs, but it is a slow cycle. Just like my Miele cloths washer...that machine must be union.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We recently bought a Miele. It's amazing! Cleans anything.
    My wife opens it while running all the time 'cause it's so quiet.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I cant help you Buddy, we have a new GE, it is very quiet though and works great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Michael, if you hate your dishwasher, step 1 is to git rid of it.  Here's a tutorial from Office Space (although it's a copier):

Image result for office space copier gif
    edited July 2017
    Options
    But you guys looked so happy when I seen you guys last.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    But you guys looked so happy when I seen you guys last.  
    That was bad Matt

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Image result for dishwasher wife meme
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Bought a 800 series a little over a year ago. Wash time runs a little over 2 hours. Like others have stated it doesn't dry the dishes. Not a big problem for my family since we never have over 1 load a day and just run it at night. By the time you go to unload it the next morning everything is dry. I would buy another in a heartbeat. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Image result for dishwasher wife meme
    I knew one was coming. And it did not disappoint. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    We have he Bosch that shines the red light on the floor. Works well but could get them a little more dry, they usually have puddled water on the top of glasses but nothing too bad.

we use he pods for detergent. We got it from HHGREGG when it was going out of business for about 700 new
  • LindenEmry
    LindenEmry Posts: 48
    Options
    We have  a Bosch and are not impressed with it.    Is it quiet - yes.  However, it has a long cycle time (2+ hours to run) and you have to rinse/scrape prior to loading to make sure that everything gets clean.   My son puts some dishes in without prep and we had to scrape of the hardened food and rewash.
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    My parents have been through 2 Bosch dishwashers while I am on the same used Whirlpool that came with my house. 

As to the thread title my immediate response was "well why did you marry her?". 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We have  a Bosch and are not impressed with it.    Is it quiet - yes.  However, it has a long cycle time (2+ hours to run) and you have to rinse/scrape prior to loading to make sure that everything gets clean.   My son puts some dishes in without prep and we had to scrape of the hardened food and rewash.
    Training!  Never too early.  

The Bosch uses the SS interior as a means of drying. It wicks the moisture away from the dishes as opposed to heating/ drying elements. We do as stated earlier and start at night or when we leave for work. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Love my Bosch, had it about a year.  If you keep up with the blue liquid stuff, the dishes shed water pretty well.  If you don't, you have more spotting and drying problems.

The rack layout isn't my favorite, but it works.  Just have to get used to it, it's more laid out for 30 uniform sized medium plates instead of larger pieces.  Love the quiet.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Surprised to see so many Bosch owners having problems with it drying their dishes. Ours dries the non plastic stuff just fine. As @Photo Egg mentioned some glassware (those with convex bottoms) will have a tiny bit of puddled water in the bottom.

The Bosch has a built-in water heater (at least my old model does - new models may be different) that heats the water to 160°F+ and is key to their condensation drying process. If you wait until it tells you the cycle/drying has completed the stuff is dry. We generally wait an additional 20 minutes or so after that cuz the dishes may otherwise still be a little too warm to handle comfortably.

We don't use many plastic items/containers but I can see that a Bosch sans heating element might be problematic for those that do.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We have a LG. We bought it solely on the recommendation made by the Operations Manager of the Lowe's store we purchased it from. His recommendation was direct and to the point with me. I asked what brand has caused the least problems for his customers, and his immediate reply was LG. They also sold several brands of which Bosch is represented very well.
    We have had it for about a year, and there have been several occasions when My Beautiful Wife and I have commented to one another regarding how much we like this unit.
    It was a special order, and cost more, but it gets high marks on every function you would want or need for an automatic dishwasher.
    It might be worth giving it a look.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The drying issue is probably going to be a deal breaker on the Bosch. If I've got to dry it off, I might as well wash it too. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Here's Consumer Reports reliability survey data for models purchased from 2012-2016. They say that differences of <5% aren't meaningful.

My Bosch is 15 years old and has been totally trouble free to date. Would buy Bosch again. On the other hand we have bought an LG fridge a few years ago and an LG washer/dryer pair the end of last year and have been pleased with those so we might look at LG if our Bosch dishwasher dies before we do.