Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Horseradish Crusted Tri Tip

Options
LindenEmry
LindenEmry Posts: 48
The family took this week off to celebrate this great country and get some much needed  R & R.  It also gave me some time to hone my grilling skills.  Last night we smoked a beautiful tri- tip with a horseradish /garlic crust.  The foundation was Meat Church's Gospel Rub.  The crust was a mixture of horseradish, prepared garlic, mayo, worcestershire,  smoked paprika and dry mustard.

We smoked it for about 2 hours (internal temp was 117), let it rest for 45 minutes, and then seared it at 450 for about 3 minutes per side. 

The crust soaked into the beef nicely.  

Everything was tender and juicy.   I love my EGG.
In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Very nice! Welcome to the forum. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Nice! and Welcome!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • LindenEmry
    Options
    Thank you!  
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Looks awesome! What was your temp. during the smoke phase?

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • LindenEmry
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had the temp at 250  during the smoke phase

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Interesting....I agree that horseradish goes well with TriTip...and had not considered adding to the exterior of the cook. Looks awesome by the way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks tasty from here

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• LindenEmry
    Options
    It added a nice flavor to the meat without being overpowering.

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Put Horseradish on a grilled turd and I'd probably eat it. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I could eat that whole plate!  Absolutely love Tri Tip and that one looks delicious!! 
    XL BGE
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    @LindenEmry Do you mind sharing more details on the crust mixture? Ratios or measurements perhaps? Sounds great but I would have no clue where to begin with it. I imagine you slather it on before hitting the grill for a smoke? Do you reserve any for after cooking?
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Oh boy! I'm thinking that crust would be most delicious. It's cool how horseradish mellows when cooked. Nice work!
  • LindenEmry
    Options
    maso said:
    @LindenEmry Do you mind sharing more details on the crust mixture? Ratios or measurements perhaps? Sounds great but I would have no clue where to begin with it. I imagine you slather it on before hitting the grill for a smoke? Do you reserve any for after cooking?
    Maso -
    I can give you a rough idea on measurements but I don't do a lot measuring when I create sauces, rubs and marinades.   That being said, here it the step by step run down:

1. The cooking process is a reverse sear.  IMO, this is the best way to cook this cut of beef. 
    2. Liberally coat the tri-tip with Meat Church's Gospel rub (or your preferred savory beef rub).  This is your foundation.  Set aside and prep your grill  (I started at 250 degrees direct on my BGE).  
    3. While the fire is settling, combine the following ingredients: Prepared Horseradish (8 oz or one jar), 1 cup mayo, 1 tube or 6-8 cloves of garlic smashed, 4 tablespoons or so of Worcestershire sauce,  1 tablespoon dry mustard,  2 tablespoons smoked paprika, 2 tablespoons onion powder  and  1/2 tablespoon of red pepper flakes (more if you want to bring the heat).  Mix thoroughly.  It looks like orange goo, but it tastes great once cooked.
    4. Slather on the beef and smoke the tri-tip until you get an internal temp of 115-117 degrees.  I used about 2/3 of the mixture on the initial slather and reserved the rest prior to the sear.  I only flipped the tri tip once during the smoking process.
    5.  When you hit your internal, pull off the tri-tip and let it rest.  Mine rested 45 minutes in a cooler while I warmed up some baked beans as a side.  I like resting a tri tip for a minimum 15 minutes before searing.
    6. When you are ready to sear,  open your vents and crank up your grill to 450 degrees.  I re-slathered one side the tri tip with the reserved goo while bringing the Egg to temp.    Usually, you go to a higher temp for the sear (550-600) but I did not want to burn the crusting.  I used a lower  temp for longer time.
    7. Place the tri-tip back on the grill goo side down.  Slather the remaining mixture on the top of the TT.  I grilled about 5 minutes on a side letting the mixture cook in and dry on the surface of the beef.  I did flip the tri tip often at this stage to make sure the mixture was fully cooked and dry on meat.  Final temp was just at 127 internal.
    Hope this helps!  Enjoy!

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    @LindenEmry excellent write up thank you very much!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Sounds and looks great...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"