Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Suggestions for a more Peppery Rib Rub

Options
Happy short week everybody!
Do you guys have any suggestions on a rub for pork ribs that is more peppery/spicy than sweet? I sometimes make and use this recipe from weber that is really good:
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 4 teaspoons pure chile powder
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
That being said, I really like the convenience of buying a rub, and the excitement of trying new things. However, the majority of rubs I get are way more sweet than spicy. Do you guys have any favorites that may fit my taste?

Here's my rib tax....

Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    bad byrons butt rub has no sugar, but  it needs to be adjusted with brown sugar to your likes or its too salty for most
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Why not just add pepper to the rub you buy? Or, pepper up your ribs, then add the rub?
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    The rub you posted looks good, just change the teaspoons of pepper to tablespoons and all should be good. Commercial rubs I like on ribs are famous daves rib rub and also Dizzy Pig Redeye Express.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Yes just add more pepper.  Red pepper flakes can be used.  . . Put some cayenne in there while you are at it.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Jacksonville FL
  • LindenEmry
    LindenEmry Posts: 48
    Options
    That looks like a nice rub recipe and the ribs look mighty fine.  You may want to add some dry mustard and/ or red pepper flakes to add some additional zing to you rub.    If you want to try a premade rub, I suggest the Meat Church BBQ line of rubs:

This one is a nice  salt/peppery blend.  I've used it on both beef and pork.

Enjoy!
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Make sure to get in the forum exchange next year and you will have more rub to try than you could ever imagine!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

DP Swamp Venom is a solid, spicy rub

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Id bet Oakridge's Habanero Death Dust would match your criteria as well

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    When I need something more peppery, I usually add pepper. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    etherdome said:
    I bet you are real fun at parties.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    etherdome said:
    I bet you are real fun at parties.
    You have to admit, you set yourself up for this one. A bottled blend is never going to be perfect for everyone. I seen people in the past post and complain about a spice blend because it was not salty enough and they had to add more salt. Always easy and cheap to add a little more salt. Very hard to remove the salt from a blend that is to salty.
    If you find a bottle blend flavor that you like, pop the cap and dump it into bowl and add more pepper blend to suite your taste and heat level, rebottle it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If peppery is your jam, I'd go to 1:1 ratio to your above recipe. 

Meat Church Holy Cow is peppery. 

Salt Lick stuff is peppery. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tenpenny_05
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My request was two parts. 1)more peppery/spicy 2)Less sweet. And I also asked for recommendations on pre made rubs. Not just "add pepper dummy"

You guys do a great job of making people not want to come back to this forum.
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My request was two parts. 1)more peppery/spicy 2)Less sweet. And I also asked for recommendations on pre made rubs. Not just "add pepper dummy"

There are many good suggestions above. Your choice to try them or not.
    For me it's mixing a couple good bottled spices or adding the lacking element to a bottled rub. So you have options given above or you can get upset because of a couple digs in your post.
    Go to a local spice shop and try some samples is another idea.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

That's pretty unfair.  There were a number of suggestions and one smarta$$ "add pepper dummy" suggestion.  Go quickly to your safe spot.  It's brutal here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Simmer down chief.  Not sure if your comment was directed towards me or not, or the etherdome, but there's many suggestions that I hope you've taken advantage of.  

However, my comment added to what you already were using, and you wanted peppery, as your salt is 2 tablespoons and pepper is 2 teaspoons.  So my thought was to make your ratio to a 1:1 salt and pepper.  

I think the Holy Cow could be your fit.  It's not sweet, but packs a lot of pepper. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Here's hoping this thread makes till tomorrow!!! 
    O-Town, FL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,299
    Options
    bad byrons butt rub has no sugar, but  it needs to be adjusted with brown sugar to your likes or its too salty for most
    I have been looking at it in stores since the exchange was announced. It might just get added to the collection.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I have been looking at it in stores since the exchange was announced. It might just get added to the collection.
    just dont look at it as a rub you use straight out of the container, it needs sugar, a little for say a brisket, more for a butt, still more for pork ribs. ateast thats what i do with it.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options

have you played around with different pepper sources. im a big fan of tellicherry pepper, much better and more intense grinding my own. the tellicherry really pops as a pepper
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    just dont look at it as a rub you use straight out of the container, it needs sugar, a little for say a brisket, more for a butt, still more for pork ribs. ateast thats what i do with it.

I'll agree with you Fish, it needs sugar, but I like butts with it.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Meat Church also came out with a new rub called Holy Gospel .. https://www.meatchurch.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-holy-gospel-limited-edition-bbq-rub

He will stock it next week as it is sold out now .. perfect blend of spicy & savory.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    Options
    Get the Dizzy Pig Ghost. It'll light you up. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

I'll agree with you Fish, it needs sugar, but I like butts with it.  

its one of my go to rubs
    fukahwee maine

• wbthomas
    wbthomas Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm with ya @tarheelmatt.  I like Bad Byrons on butts and using a sweeter sauce for sandwiches.  Also like it on pork tenderloin.  I'd suggest giving it a try if you are looking for something with more kick OP.
    Little Rock, AR
    Large BGE
    MM
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Sorry guys, I do appreciate the real recommendations. I just see the same names popping up with non help all the time.
    I have a good list of things to try now, thank you for the input.
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I'll second the DP Swamp Venom if you want spicy.  Not sweet at all but savory and packs a punch.  I use it as a base layer on my ribs but just a light coat as most in my family don't like a lot of heat.  I like my ribs somewhat sweeter though so I layer another 2 rubs on top of the Swamp Venom.

I recently picked up some Chupacabra rub.  Really liking it - to me it is very similar to Head Country in that it is more savory than sweet.  May not have enough kick in it for you though but has a bit more heat than Head Country. 
    XL BGE
  • LindenEmry
    LindenEmry Posts: 48
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Meat Church also came out with a new rub called Holy Gospel .. https://www.meatchurch.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-holy-gospel-limited-edition-bbq-rub

He will stock it next week as it is sold out now .. perfect blend of spicy & savory.

Holy Gospel is wonderful.  I was attending BBQ class at Meat Church when they premiered that rub.  The first batch sold out pretty much the first day.   If you get a chance,  it is well worth picking up a bottle.

In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Never did say if peppery means black peppery, chili peppery (red OR green), or just plain hot peppery.  Lots of pepperys.

Holy Gospel is a mix of Holy Cow and The Gospel, right?  I don't think he discloses the ratio, but I think it's a blend of some sort of those two - I remember reading that somewhere.  I'm sure this is achieveable at home to some degree for those that have both and want to experiment while it's out of stock.