Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Still a couple of days to go. 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Using  a little Gator Hammock Cooter rub on some poppers.  Thanks again @thetrim
    Edina, MN

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit NO RC cola?? Jk - nice delivery.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.  I am originally from NJ and have lived in the south for 30 years- nowhere else can a meal be "RC-cola an' a Moonpie" or "p-nuts an' coke-cola"
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you to @kl8ton for my fabulous package!  I was out of town until this evening and it arrived while I was away.  He included a lovely note that had pictures and a great description of his source for all things BGE in his area- Herman's Boy.  He also sent apple wood chunks from his friend's tree, and a BBQ sauce made by a guy who recently had an unfortunate fire (Daddy Pete's) and a BBQ sauce that he has been using for years, since before it was available in stores.  I just love the personal stories!  Thank you also for the spicy mustard- I am really looking forward to using it :)  AND the miracle blend seasoning.  I can't wait to try the Beer Jelly- someone else had it in their elfster package and it caught my eye.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Many thanks also to @cazzy and @northGAcock.  This is such a great idea and a lot of work on your parts- can't wait to do it next year!

@northGAcock- I would love to maybe try to have a SC Eggfest.  You might have seen in my posts in the past that I tried to start one in Charleston but essentially the BGE distributor to our local stores advised against it, so no store could sponsor it.  Instead, the local stores do afternoon cooking demonstrations which are well and good but not the same thing as an Eggfest...  Or maybe we could just meet at Eggtoberfest :)
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    booksw said:
    Thank you thank you thank you to @kl8ton for my fabulous package!  I was out of town until this evening and it arrived while I was away.  He included a lovely note that had pictures and a great description of his source for all things BGE in his area- Herman's Boy.  He also sent apple wood chunks from his friend's tree, and a BBQ sauce made by a guy who recently had an unfortunate fire (Daddy Pete's) and a BBQ sauce that he has been using for years, since before it was available in stores.  I just love the personal stories!  Thank you also for the spicy mustard- I am really looking forward to using it :)  AND the miracle blend seasoning.  I can't wait to try the Beer Jelly- someone else had it in their elfster package and it caught my eye.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Many thanks also to @cazzy and @northGAcock.  This is such a great idea and a lot of work on your parts- can't wait to do it next year!

@northGAcock- I would love to maybe try to have a SC Eggfest.  You might have seen in my posts in the past that I tried to start one in Charleston but essentially the BGE distributor to our local stores advised against it, so no store could sponsor it.  Instead, the local stores do afternoon cooking demonstrations which are well and good but not the same thing as an Eggfest...  Or maybe we could just meet at Eggtoberfest :)
    Glad everything arrived intact @booksw

Enjoy!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I've spoken with a few of you, but if you still don't have a BBQ payload, send me an IM so I can investigate.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    If my Elf is wondering about me receiving my gift... the package left Nashville on Thursday morning at 7am and still hasn't been scanned in the Franklin facility. 

I'll run down on Monday and see if they can find it sitting in a bin somewhere...that's 3 days to make it 15 miles, even for the Federal govt that seems a bit inefficient. 
    let me know if i need to send another  :)
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Sorry to my Elf for the holdup at Customs. I let Cazzy know the progress and I am sure  he has let them know. I hoped and hoped there was a chance it would get there for tomorrow but it looks like no. 
    Happy 4th without it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @gmac I was sweating the same of yours. The girl at the post office asked to fill out the customs form. 

I was like, "uhh, not alcohol and perishables?!?"

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    Options
    @gmac I was sweating the same of yours. The girl at the post office asked to fill out the customs form. 

I was like, "uhh, not alcohol and perishables?!?"
    Yeah, each year I sent beer with no issues. This year I didn't send beer (sorry) and it gets stuck. 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    A very big thank you to @cactus_darrell for all these things waiting for me today when I got home. What an awesome combination of things from TX!!! I'm most excited about the Hak's Habanero Pineapple BBQ sauce. Sounds really good. Also, very interested in the Butlers Texas Gold. Plus, believe it or not, I've never used Mesquite wood! Can't wait to dig in! Thanks a lot Cactus Darrell!!!

Hey, your very welcome. Happy to see it made it intact. I had fun shopping for this exchange. I was in Dallas last week to see sold out Metallica concert at AT&T stadium. It gave me a good opportunity to ck out some neat BBQ stores. Try using the Mesquite chips when cooking your favorite steak. You wont be disappointed. I got a tacking # for my gift exchange today,  very excited when it said " out for delivery". yea!!

Cactus Darrell still smoking in Texas

Reversed seared a prime strip last night with the mesquite. Tossed some wings in the Pineapple Habanero and Texas Gold tonight. Both were great. Thanks again @cactus_darrell
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Got invited to a steak cookout tomorrow. I guess I will bring the steakhouse seasoning and pick a sauce. A little late notice for my to fix wings. Wait I have some wing sauce that I haven't opened? Now if I can only find some wings at the crack of dawn?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - don't know your location but even around here the wimpy grocery stores go til 11 PM.  The heavy lifers are open all night.  
    Now adult beverage influence can definitely impact their accessible hours from a personal perspective.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Wally World stays open all night. Rouse's that has the good meat closed at 9 or 10 one or the other. My brother in law and his relatives will just have to eat the Wally World wings I just bought. Hmm I have Stubbs Wing sauce for half and a Hawaiian Passionfruit, mustard, habanero sauce for the other half? Shaking the Tree base rub for both? Wings is something that I don't do...till tomorrow that is.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Congrats on making the leap.  Wings on the BGE turn out great especially if you can air-dry them over night in the fridge.  Really helps achieve the crispy skin. You can also dust with corn-starch to help get 'em crispy.  Don't know your cook technique plan but the search function here will yield several options.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Okay I took the plastic off of the tray and stuck them back in the fridge.
  • gmac
    Options
    Hoping some late packages get there soon I'm just making it easy for folks to find. :)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    gmac said:
    Hoping some late packages get there soon I'm just making it easy for folks to find. :)
    I don't know where the late ones are headed, but we may have a delay in Austin...

http://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/breaking-news-bomb-squad-responding-austin-bergstrom-international-airport/lKYjuFH7y6F0TNTwwbFbmN/?
  • gmac
    Options
    I don't think mine went through Austin. 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The box I am receiving is on the truck for delivery today. I can't wait. 

The box I sent was delivered on Monday.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • gmac
    Options
    Just tracked mine. Says delivered today. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    My tracking says delivery Friday. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    After digging around on the website a bit I'm guessing my mystery elf is actually @gmac who has a history of making pocket cleavers for folks around here and hails from Canada. Thanks gmac, that package was out of this world. Words can't express how excited I was when I saw that knife!
  • cazzy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    After digging around on the website a bit I'm guessing my mystery elf is actually @gmac who has a history of making pocket cleavers for folks around here and hails from Canada. Thanks gmac, that package was out of this world. Words can't express how excited I was when I saw that knife!

Yep, @gmac was your elf.  That's why I said you'll understand why there was a delay when you see where it came from.  His package got stuck in customs for several days, so we're both glad it made it to you.  It clearly was worth the wait.

That cleaver is amazing!  You scored big this year.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I really did score big this year!

The great thing is that it didn't matter at all on my end that the package was delayed in customs. Our 4th of July cookout was a kids affair with just simple burger and dogs. This weekend however I'm going to a cookout hosted by another local egger, and I'm charged with bringing the ribs. The package arrived at the perfect time for me to knock that cook out of the park!
  • cazzy
    Options
    I really did score big this year!

The great thing is that it didn't matter at all on my end that the package was delayed in customs. Our 4th of July cookout was a kids affair with just simple burger and dogs. This weekend however I'm going to a cookout hosted by another local egger, and I'm charged with bringing the ribs. The package arrived at the perfect time for me to knock that cook out of the park!

You sure did!  Cool...glad it all worked out for ya.

Yep, I made burgers too!!  Nom nom

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Jamaican Jerk Mango BBQ sauce?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN