Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1980s Egg

Options

I recently restored my husband's father's egg from the 1980s and would love some tips and tricks for tempature control. We smoked our first butt this weekend but couldn't get the tempature to drop below 300 - 350. We also have to use a grill tempature gauge because there is no hole to put the thermometer on the outside. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    How wide open were your vents? Were you using a heat deflector of some sort for the cook?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Welcome by the way!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    You can learn a lot from youtube. There is no one right way, whatever you find that works for you. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ceramic drill bit or masonary bit and insert Tel-Tru or Smokeware thermometer. If you're not able to hold it below 300 to 350 I would say you're bringing in too much air.... Check your gasket and lid to base seal etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Sorry, forgot my manners. Welcome and cool looking egg you have there.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ^^^^ ditto...where are my manners!?
    Welcome aboard. Happy egging. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Oldgreenegg
    Oldgreenegg Posts: 8
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @weberwho Thank you! We used the conveggtor and initially had the vents all the way open to let some of the smoke burn off then closed the daisy wheel to just have the holes slightly open, bottom vent to maybe 1/4th of the way open.

i think part of the problem was letting it get too hot, having to open it to constantly check the tempature (wireless thermometer may be the next purchase) combined with the cowboy hardwood lump. I've read it sucks and burns fast and hot. 

• Oldgreenegg
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL do you think drilling will crack it? I'm hesitant to do that given the age of the egg. 
  • Oldgreenegg
    Options
    @GrillSgt thank you! They hand made them back in the day - I was excited to restore it for my husband's first Father's Day but ran into issues with the handle. I found a body shop to do a custom weld and had it done in time for the 4th. Lots of hours poured into what I thought would be a simple restoration. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Once you get your temp around 225-250 start shutting down your vents. You don't want your top and lower vents open more than the size of a tooth pick. This will keep you around the 250 mark

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL do you think drilling will crack it? I'm hesitant to do that given the age of the egg. 
    Anything is possible but, with a good bit and sure hand I think you'll be fine. I'd do it.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... i think part of the problem was letting it get too hot, ...
    Welcome, and WAY COOL on the restored Egg!

And yeah, I agree with you, once all that ceramic gets hot, it takes a WHILE to cool down.  You always want to try not to let it get hotter than your target temperature for that reason.

Also, it might not be obvious just how little airflow it takes for a 250° cook.  It may seem like you're practically closing the vents.  Sometimes just a crack is enough, thickness of a quarter, sometimes a little more.

And, by the way, 250° is the lowest I ever go for cooking.  Lots of people have it in their heads that "real" low-and-slow barbecue has to be 225° or even 200°, but there's a really big difference between a stick burner, for example, with a fire that's actually burning healthily but only heating up an adjacent smoking chamber to 200°, and trying to smother a charcoal fire in a Big Green Egg so that it's only heating the Egg to 200°.  In my experience, the Egg just doesn't do well at 200° or 225°, and I just get better results and better smoke at 250°-275°.  Your mileage may vary, as they say.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Although it would probably be fine, i would hesitate to modify something with that much sentimental value.
    Gittin' there...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Richard in FL has restored these oldies and maybe he will be coming along. SERIOUS word of caution though those old ones are terra-cotta and not the current day ceramic so yo really need to keep that baby under 350 TOPS!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Oldgreenegg
    Options
    RRP said:
    Welcome aboard. Richard in FL has restored these oldies and maybe he will be coming along. SERIOUS word of caution though those old ones are terra-cotta and not the current day ceramic so yo really need to keep that baby under 350 TOPS!
    We only plan on using it for smoking for that reason. Amazed that it held up so well for so long and only needed basic hardware restoration. 
  • Oldgreenegg
    Options
    Although it would probably be fine, i would hesitate to modify something with that much sentimental value.
    My thought too plus the fear of cracking it. We'll try the wireless thermometer route first. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Not a chance in hell that I would risk drilling a hole for a dome thermometer.

If you just want a guide to help get the temp where you want it just poke a thermometer probe thru one of your daisy wheel holes. That's what I do on an old egg and my old Weber kettle and Smokey Mountain, none of which have dome thermos.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Once you get your temp around 225-250 start shutting down your vents. You don't want your top and lower vents open more than the size of a tooth pick. This will keep you around the 250 mark

Once you get to temp and have the patience to let the temp set-in, I go at 225-250  with bottom vent open only the depth of a quarter as in 1/8 of an inch. Same with Daisy Wheel - barely open. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Wonder if you could hit it with some high heat paint?
  • Oldgreenegg
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I want too but my husband likes the look of the original. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I want too but my husband likes the look of the original. 
    Can't blame him there. Might look cool if you put a smokeware on to add a little bling. Im a big fan of the old and new combo 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @HeavyG You skeered it'd break?  You don't strike me as that type. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    you could get a maverick with the probes and monitor it with that till you get an idea how hot the dome gets for low and slows, i used an egg for a few years monitoring temps by touching the dome, no gages. interesting the hinge on the left is the new style and it incorporates charwoodys band clips, he came up with that idea back late 90's early 2000 and bge finally went with his modification =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @Oldgreenegg It appears to me what you have is an old Imperial Kamado. I used to have one that color.  Good cooker but I  wouldn't get it too hot. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Oldgreenegg
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    @Oldgreenegg It appears to me what you have is an old Imperial Kamado. I used to have one that color.  Good cooker but I  wouldn't get it too hot. 
    I took it with me to the big green egg store here in Atlanta and had the guys look at it to help me with parts. There were a few in the museum that looked similar to ours; not sure how to tell the difference.