Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic comparison with Kamado Joe

Options
I've read most of the comparisons between the Egg and the Joe; but nothing about the ceramic composition. It's clearly different, as I saw both side by side when I bought the Egg. Does anyone know what the differences are?

BTW, it's so annoyingly obvious when you read some of these online "comparisons" from retailers in which they claim the Joe is "superior"; that they are biased because Egg won't allow online sales. 
Large Egg

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Reminds me of the commercials that say this car is better than "that car." The reason they are comparing their's to that car is because that car is better. Ever see a commercial where Lexus compares itself to another car?
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I've owned a large Egg for 6-7 years.  I bought a Joe Jr this week.  I love the both.  The ceramics are different, you are right.  It seems the KJ ceramic is less dense and rougher.  It's also lighter by a good amount.  The reason I went with a KJ over a Minimax is that the Jr is easier to transport, holds more lump than a MM, and is lighter by 20 lbs or so.  It's just a LOT easier to move around, even though I like the carrier for the MM better.  
    I have also read about the smaller cookers having trouble with temp control.  I have run this thing almost endlessly since getting it on Friday.  After 2 cooks Friday night, a 6 hr rib cook yesterday and a shorter shrimp/corn cook last night, it might be easier to control than my large Egg.  I have to light the lump in only one or two spots to keep temps down, but otherwise, it's an amazing little machine and I am very happy with it.  

As for the ceramics, I thought the courser, less dense KJ ceramic may gather dust more and get dirty really quick.  That, so far, doesn't seem to be the case. It is still very white inside and wipes down really easily.  

Overal, I don't think there is any real difference in the quality, cooking ability or longevity.  If there is a difference, it's in the ceramics, and both companies are known for their lifetime warranties and stellar customer service.  Even on my large Egg, I've have a firebox crack and was sent a replacement.  As long as they stand behind it, that's all that really matters.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't know about the ceramics,  but I heard the steel bed of a Chevy Silverado is tougher than the aluminum bed on the Ford F150. 
    https://youtu.be/BTm2F4ysQrE
    Flint, Michigan
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Yeah, it's a bad mamma jamma. 
  • DaveShady
    DaveShady Posts: 48
    Options
    have seen both of them broken. The joe inside was porous almost in the casting and i could describe it like cork small voids and not the pure white solid like a broken BGE. so my .02 is both cook well but there is a difference.
    User, Abuser of the Big Green Egg Clinton Iowa
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    There's is a difference, though I don't really know for sure what the difference is exactly. I've been told the difference is just one ingredient, but who knows.  They both cook pretty much the same and both will crack on occasion. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I heard it's the covfefe that makes the real difference 
  • Williamsrb
    Williamsrb Posts: 5
    edited July 2017
    Options
    They'll both be made of similar refractory clays that are relatively high in silica and will withstand higher temperatures (~3000+).  Each body formula will probably change constantly over time as material sources come and go, but will exhibit the same general characteristics of shrinkage, absorption and heat resistance.  BGE is made by DalTile Corporation in their Monterey Mexico plant and probably sources both Mexican and US mined clays.  Komodo Joe makes theirs in a Chinese factory and most likely sources Chinese mined clays.  
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @Williamsrb That's a pretty impressive first post. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have no idea who is who around this place for sure, but there has been an obvious effort by KJ employees or operatives to infiltrate the forum. Staged efforts for sure. This may be another one idk?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If there was a difference in the ceramics that make a real world difference, I think we would have heard something.  I'll always be a green man, even though a great argument could be made for the current KJ being a better product in some regards.

I kinda think it's splitting hairs.  Honestly, and without a doubt, there are many people who could cook me under the table with a couple flour pots vs. my eggs.  

@Williamsrb   I concur with @td66snrf  - very strong fist post, and welcome!

Phoenix 
  • alynd
    Options
    I have no idea who is who around this place for sure, but there has been an obvious effort by KJ employees or operatives to infiltrate the forum. Staged efforts for sure. This may be another one idk?
    Former KJ employee here. The original poster in this thread seemed pretty pro-egg to me? "Infiltrating" this forum was never discussed in the 4 years I was with KJ.  I had an account here because I owned an egg before being hired by KJ and this place is obviously way more interactive and you can get a lot more ideas here vs the KJ forum.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    alynd said:
    Former KJ employee here. The original poster in this thread seemed pretty pro-egg to me? "Infiltrating" this forum was never discussed in the 4 years I was with KJ.  I had an account here because I owned an egg before being hired by KJ and this place is obviously way more interactive and you can get a lot more ideas here vs the KJ forum.
    Hey, I certainly don't know. I absolutely know some of the stuff in the past has been coordinated. I always find it a little off when folks bring up other brands in any context in their first 1- 50 posts. All are welcome of course. 
  • Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    Options
    It's not off to bring up other brands in the first few posts. The person has just bought the Egg, in most cases. So they likely would have comparison shopped. I am pro Egg - I bought one!
    The ceramic is obviously different between it and the Joe, and since that's such a key part of the machine, I'm curious to know more about the differences. 
    Haven't read anything about this, even though it's literally at the core of these units!
    Large Egg
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    alynd said:
    Not long after you left KJ they set up a cube farm with interns who spend all their day trolling various forums to promote the KJ brand and denigrate whatever brand/forum they're working in at the time. Guerrilla marketing at its finest. :)

On a serious note - I have never seen any scholarly review of the various materials used by any of the kamado makers. There are some obvious differences but I have no idea as to the merits of same.

All I do know is that they all work fine and it doesn't appear that some are more bulletproof or more prone to cracking than others.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    Not long after you left KJ they set up a cube farm with interns who spend all their day trolling various forums to promote the KJ brand and denigrate whatever brand/forum they're working in at the time. Guerrilla marketing at its finest. :)

On a serious note - I have never seen any scholarly review of the various materials used by any of the kamado makers. There are some obvious differences but I have no idea as to the merits of same.

All I do know is that they all work fine and it doesn't appear that some are more bulletproof or more prone to cracking than others.
    Not sure I've ever seen any pictures of either of you guys actually cooking something. However, I easily could have missed the hundreds of pictures along the way.
  • alynd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:

Not sure I've ever seen any pictures of either of you guys actually cooking something. However, I easily could have missed the hundreds of pictures along the way.
    Here's a picture of me cooking breakfast. Hope it helps.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    What's more impressive is he hit me with an "off topic" flag on my Chevy vs Ford comment.  Dayam, I better straighten up. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Williamsrb
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Thanks.  Glad to be here.  It was a stroke of luck though. It's my job to map out and test various clay deposits within the US for ceramic and porcelain bodies.  Hopefully I'll contribute more on the cooking front as time goes by.  
  • Williamsrb
    Options

td66snrf said:
    What's more impressive is he hit me with an "off topic" flag on my Chevy vs Ford comment.  Dayam, I better straighten up. 
    td66snrf said:
    Ha ha.  I was playing around with the different butttons on whats essentially a trial run for me.  Now I know there's no hiding in this forum!  
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I usually click on their name and go look at their previous posts to try and figure out if we have a troll. Ive smoked out several of them that way. 

Little Rock, AR