Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quickest Way to Get to Standard Grill Temp?

Options
Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just looking to grill some fish, no low and slow tonight. Is it quickest to keep the lid open all the way after using MAAP to light some corners, or close the lid with the cap off and vent wide open? Just looking to get to around 400 or so.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,
    i don't think an open dome'll do it, since I get best results with a good draft.[p]light it in a lot of spots, maybe 5 or 6.
    shut the dome, take off the daisy, open vent at the bottom.[p]stay near it... it'll get to 400 in maybe 10 minutes.
    toss the daisy on maybe a third open, same for the lower vent

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    If you have access to a small hand-held fan or an air compressor (my favorite), you can get to 400 deg. in just a few minutes. Light three or four spots with the MAPP, apply air, and close the lid after getting the coals really stoked. Getting even to TRex temps is easy. My egg happens to be next to my garage, where my compressor is. I had 750 earlier this week in less than 10 minutes. I just blow the air in from the top with the lid open, then close it when it's really going and adjust from there. If I had to wait for the natural draft to get a high temperature, I'd be much less likely to fire up the egg after work.
    Wear your eye protection, though! It can get sparky.

• ronbeaux
    Options
    uncbbq,
    I guess I'm about ready to get me some of that Methyl Acetylene-Propadiene stuff. These long days don't help when I come home and want to fire up the egg and have a great dinner and it's already late. In fact, I think we used that as fuel today while I was teaching basic fire fighting to a class of 40 at LSU Emergency Training Institute! HOT!

• egginator
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]MAPP gas followed by leafblower.
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Edintx,
    Bingo!

• Chicago Wine Geek,[p] Safely ??? No cracked BGE ??? I just had a fabulous 'silver salmon' dinner .... 350*F is the number .... 12 minutes direct.[p] Clean everything out, small 'tepee' in the center. twigs, small wood, small lump/briquettes around the edge (6-inch circle. (I use Weber parafin starters or cubes of firelog starter.) [p] It takes 15 min. for it to be 'red-hot'. Add your final lump ... watch dome temp ... shut down to 1/4-inch bottom damper / 1/4 inch top damper. Cook at 350*F for 12 min. [for most thick fish steaks] and enjoy. I do this over and over with different types of salmon, tuna, halibut, swordfish. [p] You need to find your ideal 'texture' (in your area). I am in high desert (80*-90*F ambient) and fairly low humidity. Many cannot use my method due to high humidity and different ambient temps. [p] This works over many (direct) fish cooks. Tonight's was with DP Jamaican Firewalk rub and a bit of special (Caroline's Rub) Lemon/Pepper Blend (no salt). It was great![p]Regards,[p]Tom B (ERggSport)

• Popsicle
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,
    I find the best, not the quickest, matches your handle. Open a good bottle of white, relax and befor you know it your dome temp is 400. Popsicle.

Willis Tx.
  • egginator
    Options
    Popsicle,[p]I like it