Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork temperature

AZ Traveler
AZ Traveler Posts: 664
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking a pork shoulder blade roast now and would like to know what temperature you take it to for pulling. Is it a lower temp for slicing and a higher temp for pulling? I appreciate your help. AZ

Comments

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    AZ Traveler,
    I take mine up to 190 degrees, then I pull it off the egg and wrap it in foil and place it in an insulated cooler for 2 or more hours to make it really happy.[p]You really need to take it past 180 to make sure the fat renders out or you get a tough piece of meat[p]Pork shoulder can be sliced, but not like a tenderloin or something that good chops are made of. Really pulling it is the best way to handle the shoulders.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    AZ Traveler,
    I always take my butts or shoulders to a min. 195° but usually all the way to 200°...and you are correct, a lower internal temp for sllicing, I have never done that however. You should be able to see one of my pulled pork cooks on my website in the cooks section...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • WessB,[p]Thank you so much for your information. Also, thank you for your wonderful web site. Being a rookie I appreciate all the help I can get. AZ
  • Bigfoot,[p]Thank you for your the information. This first slow cook has been an experience for me. I'm also using my Pro Com4 BBQ Guru for the first time so I have quite a learing curve going.
    Thanks again, AZ

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    AZ Traveler,
    Your welcome, thats what it`s there for...and thanks for the kind words.[p]Wess

• AZ Traveler,
    200 all the way! It's like running a marathon. Quitting a mile or two short is still an awesome run but just not the same! You'll wonder how much better would it have felt to go that last mile to the finish line.
    Seriously, as one relative newbie to another, I've done 6 butts, 5 to 200-205 and one to 192. All were wrapped and rested, pulled in 1-2 hours, and absolutely delicious. But one was a touch chewier and slightly lacking that lingering flavor in the mouth. Guess which one!
    You've got the Guru, go to 200! It's worth the extra hour or so. It's man over meat! Finish the race! LOL

• Anestheggthiologist,[p]Alright, thanks for your input. I can't believe how wonderful the BGE is and the Guru is something else. Learning a lot today. I guess I should wrap it for awhile as well. Do I need to put it a cooler? Or is just wrapped in foil okay. Thanks, AZ
  • AZ Traveler,
    I'm with you AZ, this BGE has changed (ruled?) my life this summer. Eatin's never been this good. And, I've actually lost 20 lbs! Lots of salmon and chicken and veggies during the week and the artery clogging stuff on weekends only (I love weekends!)
    Again, I'm new at this game too, but I double wrap my butts in foil, then an old beach towel and drop em in an Igloo cooler for an hour, but it'll stay hot for 2 or 3. The rest period does make pulling easier and (I think) lets the meat "peak".
    Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out. Delish I'm sure. Also, would love to hear your impression of the Guru. I'm thinking of getting one in time for the Thanksgiving bird. [p]Ken

• Anestheggthiologist,[p]The Guru is working fantastic. I'm sure I'll do our next turkey using it. I've been cooking this shoulder for 9 hours between 240 and 250 degrees and it is still setting at 175 degrees. Is this normal? Do I need to open and check it? Thanks for all you help and info. AZ
  • AZ Traveler,
    Sorry for not getting back sooner.
    Ah, the eternal plateau stage! Could last 2, 3, 4 or more hours. Be patient. If you're holding at 225-250 and you've got a good fire with plenty of lump from the start, the temp WILL rise. DO NOT open the lid. My first 8 lb butt took 21 hours at a dome of 230. I sat at 170ish from noon until about 6PM before the temp began to rise, slowly at first. I hit 190 at 8 PM and pulled the damn thing off at 9:30 when I hit 202 internal (my dinner guests were long gone!).
    Your Guru should help optimize the situation but the meat is done when it's done. Lo and Slo is just that. I now start my butts at 5PM the day before serving and they usually come off between noon and 2 the next day. That's been my guruless experience but thanks to the advice of several smarter eggers on this forum, all my lo and slos have turned out great. It's probably too late to help you on your current cook but these simple rules have worked for my lo and slos (butts and briskets)
    1. Start cooking 21/2 or 3 hours per pound of meat before you want to eat (better to wrap and rest a couple extra hours than have to order out chinese or serve at midnight).
    2. start with a clean egg with a FULL load (just above fire ring) lump.
    3. Do not open egg(3-1-1.5 ribs and certain basting/saucing situations the exception) especially during plateau stages.
    4. Don't cheat the temp up especially during plateau in hopes of speeding things up. It won't work. It will ruin your meat (and your day).
    5. Most of all, don't sweat it. Each cook is a unique learning experience, and even a miscalculation usually tastes great on the egg.
    LOL. It's a great journey we're all on!

• Anestheggthiologist,[p]Thank you for this information. It will be a great help to me in lo and slo cooking. I appreciate it very much. Really enjoy this forum. I have pictures that I will post after I figure out how to do it. Thanks again, AZ