Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

La Caja China

Options
Tak
Tak Posts: 145
Really looking at buying a La Caja China unit....want to do pig roast for friends and family..
wanted ask if anyone has one and if you do what has been your experience with it....is it worth the cost?.....thanks in advance

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've never used one but I've heard really good things about them.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    I have used it (borrowed a buddy of mine's).  The instructions on the side of the box (timing) are way off.  It will say a pig takes 4 hours, when it really takes like 8-9.  Other than that, it was great.
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have one courtesy @YukonRon's extended family in NOLA.  It's sitting in my shop, plan to break it out at Brisket Camp IV. 
    Options
    had someone do a clam bake for a family event using a homemade one that burned pallets instead of charcoal. clams, lobsters, sausages, corn, mussels,etc. really worked well, it was a 4x4 version, fed 160
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I just got one. We're roasting a 100lb pig this weekend. I'll get pics and keep you posted. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Hahaha. This place is amazing. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

I have one works best for roasting sized pigs, but I have done up to 135#..just don't expect 4HRS..Here is a 90#

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Tak
    Options
    Wow....looks great!!!....

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    We have used them a few times. Just something worthy of mentioning, the meat turns out more like a hog that was cooked underground instead of on a offset due to the steaming affect. 
    However this is not a bad thing. I actually prefer the taste and texture of a hog that has been cooked underground over one that was cooked on an offset. 
    The only exception to this is if I'm going strictly for appearance. You just won't get the same color cooking underground as you will on an offset or large dedicated hog cooker. 
    Again, the quality of the meat produced by the La Caja or cooking underground is excellent in my opinion. You may never win an award for best appearance, but you will probably be in the running for crowd favorite when it comes to taste and texture.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Like SGH said- there is really no smoke flavor from a Caja China- this is very similar to the "Luau" or Cochinita Pibil style of buried pig wrapped in banana leaves. A Caja China is a great way to cook- but it's just an oven. I prefer the flavor of smoky pig meat but I do love the texture of steamed meat as well. It just depends on what you are after. A Caja China is a very economical portable oven. f you want the flavor and texture of whole hog bbq, a Caja China is not going to give you that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do seem to remember a buried Cochinita Pibil thread on here somewhere :). I may still be hungover from that one (it was 4 years ago)
  • SGH
    Options
    I do seem to remember a buried Cochinita Pibil thread on here somewhere :)
    If the rain ever stops down here, I'm going to give a real small goat a go underground. The digging should not be a problem =)

Heck I may even cook a SRF Brisket underground just to see.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How is party monster doing these days? 
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex, he is doing a lot better now. As you can see in the pic above, he was about 40 pounds under his normal weight. He started having bad issues at the end of December. He stayed very sick up until about 2 weeks ago. He is not 100% his old self yet, but he is much, much better. 
    He has been through several blood tests, X-rays and scans. They have not gave an exact "cause" of his problem. But sadly we all know what it stems from. Several years of hardcore drug and alcohol use. Hence his nickname "Party Monster". 
    On the upside, he has been clean and sober for almost 6 months now. A personal best record for him to date. I have been trying to spend all of my free time with him in hopes of keeping him clean and sober. With a little luck, and the good Lord willing, he will be with me at Brisket Camp. 
    And thanks for asking about him brother Tex. That really means a lot to me.  

Status- Standing by.

• Tak
    Options
    Thanks guys for the info.....I appreciate it....not sure what I'm going to do but now have some insight when I do make that decision
  • SGH
    Options
    Tak said:
    not sure what I'm going 
    What's left to ponder? Buy it, you know you want it  =)

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, he is doing a lot better now. As you can see in the pic above, he was about 40 pounds under his normal weight. He started having bad issues at the end of December. He stayed very sick up until about 2 weeks ago. He is not 100% his old self yet, but he is much, much better. 
    He has been through several blood tests, X-rays and scans. They have not gave an exact "cause" of his problem. But sadly we all know what it stems from. Several years of hardcore drug and alcohol use. Hence his nickname "Party Monster". 
    On the upside, he has been clean and sober for almost 6 months now. A personal best record for him to date. I have been trying to spend all of my free time with him in hopes of keeping him clean and sober. With a little luck, and the good Lord willing, he will be with me at Brisket Camp. 
    And thanks for asking about him brother Tex. That really means a lot to me.  
    I hate to hear that he's been sick but I'm glad he's cleaned up for a while. I always appreciated that you supported him through the good and bad times. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Like SGH said- there is really no smoke flavor from a Caja China- this is very similar to the "Luau" or Cochinita Pibil style of buried pig wrapped in banana leaves. A Caja China is a great way to cook- but it's just an oven. I prefer the flavor of smoky pig meat but I do love the texture of steamed meat as well. It just depends on what you are after. A Caja China is a very economical portable oven. f you want the flavor and texture of whole hog bbq, a Caja China is not going to give you that. 
    they added a pistol pellet smoker accessory now for the smoke flavor, never used one but that was probably a big complaint
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    they added a pistol pellet smoker accessory now for the smoke flavor, never used one but that was probably a big complaint
    It was a deal killer for me. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I like the ability to do both..If I want Cuban style CAJA it is, if I want smoked then smoked it is--did this little guy Saturday
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Tak said:
    Thanks guys for the info.....I appreciate it....not sure what I'm going to do but now have some insight when I do make that decision
    @Tak PM me with any specific questions. Been cooking on it for years and really happy with the results. As others have said, if you're looking for smoke, it's not going to meet expectations. Quality of skin is where it shines. Also can do other large pieces of meat (lamb, multiple turkeys, etc). The point of the la caja china is not to replicate what you and i call real BBQ, rather it's really a Cuban style pig roast. the model 2 handles certain hog sizes better than others. I've done hogs anywhere from 35lbs to 100lb. My advice - stick to 75lb-90lb hogs. and the comments on time it takes to cook are obvious. this does not have the same heat retention and insulation as a kamado, so cook times will vary based on outside temperature, and of course size of hog and amount of fuel. re fuel, if you don't refuel in time, your temp in the box drops drastically and takes a while to come up. needless to say, you can't be opening the cover to peek.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    If the rain ever stops down here, I'm going to give a real small goat a go underground. The digging should not be a problem =)

What size tractor is that scottie?  2306?

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:

What size tractor is that scottie?  2306?

It's the subcompact 1025.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    Yeah I had missed that thread. I have a 2320 but it may be a touch bigger with same hp. I dont have backhoe or belly mower but got a ton of other attachments. My favorite is my 4ft pto tiller. 

Little Rock, AR

• BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    I have one a friend bought late one night.  He cooked on it once, and I have cooked on it about 3 times in 5 years.  Takes a lot of garage space for all the sitting.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • lkapigian
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There is a lot if waster heat during the cook So I made a rack for mine so I could grill while the piggy is in ..the bottom,rack slides in and out 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    There is a lot if waster heat during the cook So I made a rack for mine so I could grill while the piggy is in ..the bottom,rack slides in and out 
    that is sick right there!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This is coming out for Brisket Camp
    Options
    nolaegghead saidn7ch:
    This is coming out for Brisket Camp
    Awesome !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian