Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Comments

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Cashfan said:
    cazzy said:
    Cashfan said:
    Received a great package today!

My package arrived today and was undamaged. I have not heard of or had anything that was sent. A lot of the items are local from Charleston, and look very good. It included a lot of sauces and marinades, two things I don't use a lot of, so this will definitely push me into expanding my cooking!!!! Looking froward to trying the marinades, its something I have only done a couple of times. 

I already tried both of the Slathering Sauces on some meatloaf, and they are outstanding!!

Might use Buster's Rub on some ribs this weekend, or pulled pork next weekend.

Unfortunately, I don't know the forum name of the sender. I won't reveal the name of the person, so they will have to come forward and claim credit for this outstanding box of goodies. They included a nice letter with recipes and tips on what to use the sauces and marinades on!!

I am pretty pumped to try these new products! Thanks!!!

Thanks @cazzy and @northGAcock for organizing the exchange!!

Great job @booksw

Agreed! Thanks @booksw!!

I am so glad that you like the goodies I sent and that nothing broke!!! I had a lot of fun putting it together.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

What is the sauce at the back right?

Don't sleep on the Whataburger stuff!  The Spicy ketchup is a favorite of mine.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • It amazes me how man bottle of Whataburger ketchup I have seen.  I would have never thought of packing that.  I told my SWMBO about it and she asked why would anyone do that.  (Her not being a fan of ketchup.  I know I know..) I told her it is hands down the best stuff ever.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    It amazes me how man bottle of Whataburger ketchup I have seen.  I would have never thought of packing that.  I told my SWMBO about it and she asked why would anyone do that.  (Her not being a fan of ketchup.  I know I know..) I told her it is hands down the best stuff ever.  
    I've sent that before.  One of my favorites discoveries moving to Texas, the spicy ketchup.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Plutonium said:
    Many thanks to SSQUAL612 for the package received today! Many items from California and a few from Louisiana where he's originally from. Really looking forward to trying these out soon!

The tiger sauce is awesome on everything. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    It amazes me how man bottle of Whataburger ketchup I have seen.  I would have never thought of packing that.  I told my SWMBO about it and she asked why would anyone do that.  (Her not being a fan of ketchup.  I know I know..) I told her it is hands down the best stuff ever.  
    I'm from New England and have been taking part in this for the past 3 years. I've got no idea what it tastes like but that $hit must be heaven in a bottle with everyone shipping it out like they do. It's probably the number one ingredient I've seen shipped in this exchange over the years. 
  • Legume said:
    I've sent that before.  One of my favorites discoveries moving to Texas, the spicy ketchup.
    I think I'm in the minority because I truly like the original, not that big of a fan of the spicy 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,346
    edited June 2017
    I'm from New England and have been taking part in this for the past 3 years. I've got no idea what it tastes like but that $hit must be heaven in a bottle with everyone shipping it out like they do. It's probably the number one ingredient I've seen shipped in this exchange over the years. 
    It is heaven. PM me your address . I'll send you some. You won't eat regular ketchup again. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited June 2017

It is heaven. PM me your address . I'll send you some. You won't eat regular ketchup again. 
    I'm still waiting on my box from this exchange, but I may just take you up on that!

Although the way this exchange has been going I probably won't need any rubs/sauces/marinades until 2023
  • cazzy said:

What is the sauce at the back right?

Don't sleep on the Whataburger stuff!  The Spicy ketchup is a favorite of mine.
    Franklins original sauce. 

Large

Houston,TX
  • Whataburger ketchup is so texas to me. Can't resist sharing. 

Large

Houston,TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    @SaintJohnsEgger I make marinades? Huh :confused: Homemade yes. Commercially no. 
    The note in @Budgeezer's box said the marinade came from you house so,I just assumed you made it. And maybe marketed it. Would have been worth crossing the river to get some.
    Naw that marinade is from Middleburg.   His town; not necessarily made and bottled in his garage.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Sorry for hiding that one in the pic!  Ribs are on the docket for the weekend, gotta try these rubs and sauces.Thanks again @cazzy for organizing this again.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Whataburger spicy ketchup and the honey mustard are truly condiments without equals. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    thetrim said:
    @SaintJohnsEgger I make marinades? Huh :confused: Homemade yes. Commercially no. 
    The note in @Budgeezer's box said the marinade came from you house so,I just assumed you made it. And maybe marketed it. Would have been worth crossing the river to get some.
    Naw that marinade is from Middleburg.   His town; not necessarily made and bottled in his garage.  
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm just a cross the Saint John's river in Fruit Cove  but I thought he made it. I may still look for that.

if you are in this area you need to try out Woodpecker's Bakyard BBQ where SR13 and  16A meet in Orangedale. Went there again yesterday.  Going to the Rib Shack for lunch today. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SaintJohnsEgger

Legume said:
    Maybe it's a Texas thing. I haven't seen it here in NE Florida. But I don't get into Whataburger very much. Was there last week but didn't see it for sale anywhere. do you have to ask for it?
    MiniMax 04/17

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    If Blake made it, his secret ingredient is R-22 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Tell her because people like me, that are texas transplants - be it 27 years ago, that live in TN where we are Whataburger less. Every trip back to texas we stop at whataburger first to get the goods. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Legume said:
    Maybe it's a Texas thing. I haven't seen it here in NE Florida. But I don't get into Whataburger very much. Was there last week but didn't see it for sale anywhere. do you have to ask for it?
    I don't think the stores themselves sell it.  H-E-B's sell all of whataburgers priducts. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SaintJohnsEgger

Legume said:
    I don't think the stores themselves sell it.  H-E-B's sell all of whataburgers priducts. 
    Ok. I guess that's my problem. I'll start checking out grocery stores and maybe I'll find it in time to include in next year's package.

I want to order some of Franklin's sauces from H-E-B's so I may just include it in that order.

thanks for the help

MiniMax 04/17

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Thanks again @milesvdustin. The iguana is killer and nice addition to my office collection. 

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    booksw said:

Agreed! Thanks @booksw!!

@booksw  I will be patiently awaiting an invite down to your place in Chucktown.  I can be there in just a couple of hours.;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Thanks again @milesvdustin. The iguana is killer and nice addition to my office collection. 

I just wish they made bigger bottles of it. If you have a World Market nearby, thats my source.

You have shrimp basket sauce???? I used to eat there all the time when I lived in Pensacola for a few years. That place was my jam. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SaintJohnsEgger

Hey @TN_Sister_State did @milesvdustin send you some half used bottles or have you just been pigging out on that stuff?  =)

i have already half used on of my ecshange sauces (and enjoyed it). I also went out and got some Blues Hog after seeing it in other posts
    MiniMax 04/17

• Legume said:
    I have found Whataburger ketchup at Walmart
  • @TN_Sister_State go get you a meatball sub from Firehouse. That yellow Iguana sauce on it is awesome. That was Knoxville hangover food 101. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    HEB will ship the Whataburger products to all states except Calif. They were advertising free shipping recently with a $49 purchase (I think that was the amount). 
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    You people need to leave our HEB stuff alone.  It's horrible, you wouldn't like it.  Any of it.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Just a total home run from @northGAcock I was beyond thrilled to pull the first yellow bottle out of the box last night. SC style BBQ is not something I see a lot of in Texas and I love mustard sauce. Everything he sent was local/regional. He also mixed it up with some non BBQ items. A nice touch. I'm most excited to try the cocktail sauce. We're Trying to eat more seafood and less brisket these days. That sauce will be perfect with gulf shrimp or oysters. 

With that said,I cracked open Maurice's original and willies hog dust on two pork tenderloins tonight. Wife and kids dominated it. Will do a butt soon to sample the shealys vinegar (from sc's bbq brother to the north). Likely will pair that with onion rings, a family favorite. 

thanks to @cazzy for putting this together. It's such a cool annual deal.  So glad I got into it last year and did it again. Thanks to Robin, whom I've never met and went above and beyond to get me things that he liked, were local, interesting (pork rind pellets) and generally awesome. My wife thinks having internet friends is a lot less weird when they send BBQ. 

Guess who already had titos on hand?

It was my pleasure @Space_City_Egger and hope you and family will enjoy it all. Curious to no about the pork pellets myself. Never tried these, but when I saw them, I had to grab it. We eat our porkskins around here hot with a nice dip into the mustard sauce. Hope they don't disappoint. I  enjoyed collecting these items for you.....and wish you guys a happy 4th of July!
    Went to PC with Willie a great guy & the pellets are killer as is his rub.