Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump charcoal in Pittsburgh area.

Options
I just moved to McKeesport. Does anyone know where I can buy good lump in the Pittsburgh area? Humphreys or Rockwell  preferred 

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    No longer a good store around for that kind do stuff. Used to be a place but it shut down. And that guy had a terrible reputation around these parts. Need to order via firecraft or go with royal oak pretty much. I'm from here so feel free if you have any more questions. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just drive the 2 hours and pick some up from Brookeville. You'll save a bunch and can take a quick detour to see that stupid groundhog.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Groundhog is in Punxy not Brookville.  

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Groundhog is in Punxy not Brookeville.  
    Which is why i said a quick detour as long as you take 119.
  • RedSkip
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Punxy is a dump, not worth the time...Good call on detour, overlooked your comment.  My mistake.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Punxy is a dump, not worth the time...Good call on detour, overlooked your comment.  My mistake.
    Agree on all points. Hahahaha. Maybe just wave as you don't slow down
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just moved to McKeesport. Does anyone know where I can buy good lump in the Pittsburgh area? Humphreys or Rockwell  preferred 

Any Ace Hardware can order Rockwood.  SKU 8400772.  Not sure if any have it in stock yet, we just started shipping to that Ace region a few weeks ago.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  Negative.  Local ACE hardwares' distribution centers don't stock the item.  Until the distribution warehouse stocks it, they can't get it shipped to the store.  Maybe you can help with this?

The SKU is in their system, but the owner's I've talked to says it's all about the distribution warehouse.

Thoughts?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above with firecraft.  Order in 6 bag increments for two reasons; clears the $99 free shipping hurdle and arrives 3 bags to a very well constructed charcoal shipping box.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @stlcharcoal  Negative.  Local ACE hardwares' distribution centers don't stock the item.  Until the distribution warehouse stocks it, they can't get it shipped to the store.  Maybe you can help with this?

The SKU is in their system, but the owner's I've talked to says it's all about the distribution warehouse.

Thoughts?

Not sure what to tell you on this.  I'm looking at the store list and all the stores around Pittsburgh pull their orders from the RSC in West Jefferson, OH.  As of two weeks ago, we have bags stocked in the West Jefferson RSC and stores in Ohio, Michigan, and western PA have ordered then sold them.  If that RSC runs out, they can pull it next day from the RSC in Princeton, IL.....which we also stock.

There are 14 RSC's and we are stocked in 11 of them (everything east of the Rockies.)  We'll be in 2 of the 3 west coast ones within two weeks, then add the final one in California later this year once we have the new bags printed with the new Prop 65 language.  So, by the middle of July, unless you are in California, Hawaii (@g37), or northern Nevada, you will be able to get it at ANY Ace......then those three remaining states will be added in Oct/Nov.

What was the last time you tried to order? 
  • RedSkip
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @stlcharcoal About a month ago, talked to my local Ace (Millers Ace:  Zip Code 15317) and was told he can't get it until the warehouse stocks it.  Seems odd, but I went upon my way.  It's a shame I can't spend my money locally...oh well.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @lousubcap. To be fair, I don't use my egg as often as I should.  The Boss hates the taste of smoke, I know RW is neutral, but it just pushes me away from using it that often.  Therefore, went I run out it's usually when I absolutely need it and geat stuck with RO....again, this usually gets complaints due to the flavor. 

So, as a last minute purchase I stopped in the Local Ace...oh well.  I know Firecraft is good, just bugs me with busted lump, even thought it all burns the same.  

Honestly, no good reason here not to order it, other than I'm lazy...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I'm not sure what, if anything, Firecraft is doing different but the bags in my last two Rockwood orders have been better than my first order was.
    Stillwater, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @stlcharcoal About a month ago, talked to my local Ace (Millers Ace:  Zip Code 15317) and was told he can't get it until the warehouse stocks it.  Seems odd, but I went upon my way.  It's a shame I can't spend my money locally...oh well.
    It wasn't in their warehouse (Ohio RSC) a month ago......it went live in their warehouse 2-3 weeks ago.  You must have been their right before.  Have them check again, it's there and ready to be shipped to their store.
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    RedSkip said:

Thoughts?

Not sure what to tell you on this.  I'm looking at the store list and all the stores around Pittsburgh pull their orders from the RSC in West Jefferson, OH.  As of two weeks ago, we have bags stocked in the West Jefferson RSC and stores in Ohio, Michigan, and western PA have ordered then sold them.  If that RSC runs out, they can pull it next day from the RSC in Princeton, IL.....which we also stock.

There are 14 RSC's and we are stocked in 11 of them (everything east of the Rockies.)  We'll be in 2 of the 3 west coast ones within two weeks, then add the final one in California later this year once we have the new bags printed with the new Prop 65 language.  So, by the middle of July, unless you are in California, Hawaii (@g37), or northern Nevada, you will be able to get it at ANY Ace......then those three remaining states will be added in Oct/Nov.

What was the last time you tried to order? 
    RW in CA. That is amazing news! Did you already tell people this and I missed it? I am excited to try it.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I order RWonline. I live in Jefferson hills (not far from you) and there really isn't anything around that sells anything outside the normal RO.

Rolliers sells RO and BGE. Home Depot is RO and lowes is cowboy.