Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Illustrated Books

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started getting the Cooks Illustrated magazine at Christmas, and really like it. On the last issue there was an ad explaining the "How to Cook -- Master Series" books. They are 15 bucks each, and I am guessing they are collections of articles from the magazine. They have 20 or so different subjects, including Barbecueing & Roasting, and Grilling. I expect it would be great information, as the articles in the magazine are well researched, and informative.[p]Anybody have any of these books? Worthwhile??[p]Thanks, NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy,[p]Yes, I have several of these books. They are excellent. If there is a shortcut to make a certain dish that really works, they have it. If they say the only way to do it right is a long and painful path, you can rest assured there is no short cut. To produce the absolute best french fries in the world, they walk you through all the trials and errors they went through to make the best, from type potato and oil to technique.[p]Larry[p]
  • Nature Boy,[p]I have the "How to Grill" book and it's very good. Heavily researched and authoritative. It's also very small (90 half size pages for $15). I think their new book, called "The Best Recipe" is a better value and contains more of the magazine's content for your dollar. There's plenty of overlap from the magazine to the books, and the books will very rigorously address the subject of grilling. So, I suggest that instead of getting every back issue of Cook's, catch up on what you've missed with one or more of the books. [p]
    are their new books - they have one out now called "The Best Recipe". There's a lot of overlap in their

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Larry,
    Thanks. Yeah, they sure are thorough! I got a kick out of the full 2 or 3 page article in the recent issue on how to fry the best eggs![p]Appreciate the response. I think I will order those two books. "Barbecueing and Roasting", and "Grilling". I know they don't cook on eggs, but there is probably a lot to be learned within those pages.[p]Enjoy your weekend
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    ScottyB,
    Thanks. I was eyeballing that Best Recipes book. Says they have 700 recipes from the magazines (1993-1999). 25 bucks.[p]I am hooked on their straightforward approach to explaining the extensive experimenting they do. The illustrations are clear and concise. Good stuff.[p]Looks like the UPS man gonna be gettin' some more work here soon! [p]Have fun. NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]There is a lot to be learned, even though Cook's does all their research on grilling and smoking with the Weber Kettle. [p]My recent comments about getting the fire closer to the grate for searing steaks and grilling uncovered are based on Cook's research described in the grilling book. [p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, I am thrilled..you picked out my Xmas gift and I will look forward to your generosity. BTW..My birthday is in July if you wish to hurry it along..heeeeee. Did I misread this?? :-)
    Cheers...happy Char-Woody[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    ScottyB, thats why I like my small BGE.. the steaks snuggle right down by the coals..Yompin Yimminy but they are good. How ya doing ScottyB??
    I have been enjoying your posts. Best to stay away from KennyG's influence tho, we are still teaching that boy how to cook...heeee :-)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Larry, you touched on one of the finer points of "Cooks" magazine. They talk a lot like we on this forum do, and really get to the nitty gritty of the proceedures without making it quote "Rocket Science".
    Since they are Iowa located, maybe we can lean on em a bit and get them started on "ceramic cook's"??
    Cheers..and go Rams...Ooooh boy is that gonna be a fun game.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,[p]Hey C-W, I'm great. I tell you though, went skiing for a few days and doggone it if I didn't miss several hundred messages. Doubt anyone will even read this post since this thread must be ancient history by now. This forum is hoppin (even in the dead of winter). I have some catching up to do . . .