Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harbor Freight Heat Gun ... The way to go for lump starting

I've used both the Looftlighter at a price of give or take $65 and the Harbor Freight heat gun $12.99 ( $9.99 with coupon ) and I can tell you it's hard to beat the HF for results and cost.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    or start instant sparks with old propane torch, then blast with old thrift store hairdryer  ;)

canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I hear you guys, but I don't have electricity all that convenient and don't want the hassle of messing with an extension cord. For me this little hand held unit is just fine! Also what I like about it over say one of those more powerful Dragon units is this has a deadman switch so no fear of running inside, getting distracted and coming back to find a raging inferno. But to each his own!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    These guys would totally agree Ron ^^

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Well I have had my Looftlighter for over 4 years now and I did get it for $20.00 off with free shipping. It works for me. It also has a deadman switch.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I have starter cubes.  No Chimney necessary. =)=)
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    I'm looking to make a switch. I have to run an extension cord and I hate it. I guess I'm being lazy but I need to find a product without using the extension cord 
  • Homebrewguy
    Homebrewguy Posts: 158
    I like the Looftlighter and then the chimney. The outlet on my patio is dead at the moment and the egg and new table just moved there last Friday. If used the chimney the past 3 nights and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper and faster than starter cubes.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461

I use the the side burner of my gasser. A couple of minutes and the lump is lit. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    g8golfer said:
    I'm looking to make a switch. I have to run an extension cord and I hate it. I guess I'm being lazy but I need to find a product without using the extension cord 
    Get a MAPP torch at HD or Lowes.  Nothing better for me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    You need to return the heat gun and get the weed burner. Thank me later for introducing you to the best tool ever. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    cheeaa said:
    You need to return the heat gun and get the weed burner. Thank me later for introducing you to the best tool ever. 
    I spent an hour today spraying Roundup. A weed burner would have been a lot funner. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    cheeaa said:
    I spent an hour today spraying Roundup. A weed burner would have been a lot funner. 
    Joined the lawsuit yet? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    cheeaa said:
    Lol... no doubt. Got my dad one for fathers day. He's burning everything with it. Haha... 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Lit said:
    Man this is a great thread this has never been discussed before. I personally soak paper towels in lighter fluid then put that in a chimney and light it with a looflighter while I dig a trench to run power to my egg where I use a heat gun (Wagner not harbor freight I'm not poor) to light my gasser that's lights my starter cube that I drop in my egg to start my royal oak. Has anyone tried royal oak?
    Yes but if you go fat side down after that you wasted pretty much all your time...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Lit said:
    Man this is a great thread this has never been discussed before. I personally soak paper towels in lighter fluid then put that in a chimney and light it with a looflighter while I dig a trench to run power to my egg where I use a heat gun (Wagner not harbor freight I'm not poor) to light my gasser that's lights my starter cube that I drop in my egg to start my royal oak. Has anyone tried royal oak?
    You are so sarcastic.  I've never seen a thread related to fire lighting on this forum.  Maybe you're an old-timer.  Gasoline on paper towels is da bomb.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Chimney stove works great. So does a paper towel soaked in some oil. The last month or so I switched back to a fire starter. The chimney stove is the least expensive way (after the initial cost) and the fastest. Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. They all work good.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    had a couple buddies over for dinner tonight.  Fired up the egg for the first time in about 20 years.  I used heat to start the lump.  Worked really well, I'd recommend it to anyone.  Also, I cooked some stuff on the blackstone 36.  Used some heat to power the griddle.  Surprising how well that stuff works.
    I don't light the lump, I put meat on the Egg, wait a while, then finish it in the oven. The oven does not require an extension cord. We love that fresh out of the oven flavor, tastes like electric coil. 

You guys don't know what you're missing.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I'm going to share a my favorite! I have a large metal can half full of jet fuel, I keep a dozen or so golf ball size chunks of center cut Royal Oak lump soaking at all times. Just take one out put it in the center of the egg and light with a stick match. Nuff Said and your welcome for the tip.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I just stick to my electric heat element.  Plug it in, and go in to do prep.  in about 7 minutes, move it to another section to the egg, and continue my prep work.  After about 15 minutes, I remove it, close the lid, and open the Daisy wheel and slide it off about 30%.  20 minutes after start, we're sitting at 500 degrees.  I'm happy enough with that, and no fuel / oil contaminants!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I just stick to my electric heat element.  Plug it in, and go in to do prep.  in about 7 minutes, move it to another section to the egg, and continue my prep work.  After about 15 minutes, I remove it, close the lid, and open the Daisy wheel and slide it off about 30%.  20 minutes after start, we're sitting at 500 degrees.  I'm happy enough with that, and no fuel / oil contaminants!
    Unless you are off the grid and running on 100% wind/solar/hydro you are contributing to global climate change by keeping a coal fired power plant working.

Great job.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I'm just surprised that nobody has mentioned my favorites:

On sunny days - a magnifying glass.  

And on cloudy days - 2 sticks and dried elephant dung...  unless you forgot to take your sticks inside to keep them dry...  I should probably keep some of @Jupiter Jim's jet fuel lump around for those days...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I just stick to my electric heat element.  Plug it in, and go in to do prep.  in about 7 minutes, move it to another section to the egg, and continue my prep work.  After about 15 minutes, I remove it, close the lid, and open the Daisy wheel and slide it off about 30%.  20 minutes after start, we're sitting at 500 degrees.  I'm happy enough with that, and no fuel / oil contaminants!
    Unless you are off the grid and running on 100% wind/solar/hydro you are contributing to global climate change by keeping a coal fired power plant working.

Great job.
    Remind me again, are we burning wood and charcoal when we cook?
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    IKEA has a $5 metal bowl that acts as a parabolic mirror, focusing sunlight on a point in the bowl. Just put a piece of lump there and off you go.

http://mashable.com/2017/06/22/ikea-bowl-setting-stuff-on-fire/#d0hrzaYzjEq7
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I can't believe nobody has mention this method:

Instant Hot Fire!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.