Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip in Ohio?

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
I'm heading to Ohio (Sandusky) next weekend and was hoping someone here could tell me a good place to get a tri tip to bring back. I'm from Ontario and they are virtually impossible to find here.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    No local help but if your travels take you near a Trader Joe's store you can usually find them there.
    Planning to ride the coasters?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Gym said:
    I'm heading to Ohio (Sandusky) next weekend and was hoping someone here could tell me a good place to get a tri tip to bring back. I'm from Ontario and they are virtually impossible to find here.
    Find a butcher near where you are going to be staying and order ahead of time. They can usually get things within a few days. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Gym
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No local help but if your travels take you near a Trader Joe's store you can usually find them there.
    Planning to ride the coasters?
    Heading down for an NHRA race.
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Second the Trader Joes recommendation.  I have also found tri tip at Whole Foods in my area, but its more expensive (surprise surprise).  Good luck.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Gym
    Options
    There's a trader Joe's in ann Arbor. I'll give them a call and see if they carry them. 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    I have not been to this particular Giant Eagle in Vermilion, which is about a half-hour from Sandusky (4453 Liberty Ave, Vermilion, OH 44089). But I buy all of my tri-tips from Giant Eagle here in central Ohio, and they are great. The butchers at my store (and from I hear, all the ones in our area), are helpful and will cut one to order with a notice of a day or two.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    You could try giving Bay Meats a call.  They are a butcher shop in Sandusky.  419-624-9039 is the number.
  • Gym
    Options
    Great suggestions... Thanks.
  • Gym
    Options
    I just talked to my co pilot regarding this weekend's adventure. It turns out I'm not supposed to bring meat across the border... :s
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    So here's the deal.  Ohio is the armpit of our country.  Don't buy anything from that wretched state.  Travel elsewhere for anything worth consuming. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    So here's the deal.  Ohio is the armpit of our country.  
    I was half expecting you to say anus instead of armpit. I guess that the point is taken either way.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jcl5150
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    So here's the deal.  Ohio is the armpit of our country.  Don't buy anything from that wretched state.  Travel elsewhere for anything worth consuming. 
    If that's your opinion of Ohio, you're ignorant.  Not only that, but you have a strange concept of anatomy.  Ohio is more like the heart.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Gym said:
    I just talked to my co pilot regarding this weekend's adventure. It turns out I'm not supposed to bring meat across the border... :s
    You ned a new co-pilot...it's not that much trouble to toss a few trip tips in a cooler. Is your co-pilot a vegan?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Gym said:
    You ned a new co-pilot...it's not that much trouble to toss a few trip tips in a cooler. Is your co-pilot a vegan?
    Is there a law against taking meat over the border?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Gym said:
    Is there a law against taking meat over the border?
    There is not even a law preventing you from taking meat out of the United States. We took about 40 pounds on our trip to Turks and Caicos last year.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gym
    Options
    They don't care about what leaves their country, but the country you are entering sure as hell cares about what's coming in.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Sandusky?  Holy schneikies!  say hi to Tommy Boy!
  • Gym
    Options
    Sandusky?  Holy schneikies!  say hi to Tommy Boy!
    RIP. Chris Farley
    That movie rocked!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Gym said:
    They don't care about what leaves their country, but the country you are entering sure as hell cares about what's coming in.
    If it's frozen...not really. Fruit and vegetables are another story.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gym
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    You could try giving Bay Meats a call.  They are a butcher shop in Sandusky.  419-624-9039 is the number.
    I visited these guys while I was there. They were excellent! Very polite and helpful. Thanks for the referral.
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    That's one thing great about Southern California, trip tips available in all stores.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    According to this Canadian website you are allowed up to 20 kg of meat and poultry:  fresh, frozen, and chilled meat per person.  According to the CBSA website you want to make sure you declare it.  You should be fine.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

I have to work in Sandusky the next couple days.  I'll check the local Kroger to see what they have.  I'm happy to ask some locals where to find some as well when I'm there.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Gym
    Options
    Well that's quite interesting!
    I did find tri tips at bay meats as recommended by @jcl5150 but I do travel to Sandusky once a year for a car race so it will be good to know other shops to get them from.
    Bay meats said they occasionally carry them, so it's possible they wouldn't have them next year.
  • Homebrewguy
    Homebrewguy Posts: 158
    Options
    Trader Joe's in Ann Arbor carried tri-tip?

I'm in metro Detroit, so maybe the TJ's here carry it too. I already know the Costco stores don't seem to.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • Gym
    Options
    I didn't try trader Joe's, but I've heard several of their locations do carry them.