Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Eye Steaks at Temporary House

Options
I finally got around to reassembling Shirley Small today. And to celebrate we cooked some of Lawn Ranger's favorite steaks - chuck eyes. We got 'em at Walmart's much smaller and more convenient neighborhood store not far from here. 

It was a pleasant surprise and we will be back. 

But with Shirley assembled, we now have two Eggs to cook on, including Mini-Maxine. 

Lola Large is waiting for her nest to arrive tomorrow with the second load of 'stuff.' (I would have never guessed we could fill up two trucks with our stuff, especially after getting rid of a lot of it.) 

Anyway, it was a simple and pleasurable meal and I thought I would share it with y'all. 

Here's the link: 

https://youtu.be/hVwBjCzyAbs 

Thanks for looking. 

On the road... 

Spring"Still Counting Downward" Chicken 
Covington Louisiana USA

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks great!

I've never cooked those, not sure I've ever SEEN those, don't really know what they are.  Sure looked good, though!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Chuck eyes are very good I used to pick them up cheap before the grocer figured out they sell and raised prices. The neighbor hood market Walmart is the only one I've been to in a few years here. The Supercenters suck near me but the market is much better. Nice job on those Spring. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I was happy to see my Wegmans start carrying these.  Best value in steaks, bar none.

@Theophan - chuck eye steaks are cut from the cow's 5th rib.  Ribeyes are cut from the 6th-12th ribs.  So you're getting a cut that is maybe 95% of a ribeye's flavor and marbling for just over 50% of the cost.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Nice video, good looking chuck eyes.  Used to cook those quite a bit, need to try those again.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Acn said:
    ... chuck eye steaks are cut from the cow's 5th rib.  Ribeyes are cut from the 6th-12th ribs.  So you're getting a cut that is maybe 95% of a ribeye's flavor and marbling for just over 50% of the cost.
    Wow, that's amazing!  Never heard that before.  I'll start looking to see if I find any.  Thanks for the explanation!
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Love me some poor man's ribeye.  Can't even tell the difference between the two. 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I'll have to check those out. I don't usually see them out here. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome! Glad to see you have egging capabilities and video production up and running. Great looking steak. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    Chuck-eye has been my go to for years, one of the best cuts. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great video as always Leroy!  It's so different seeing the setting away from the Ranch. Chuckeye steaks are overlooked and even under appreciated.  But, with their beautiful marbling they make bellies happy. Great job & enjoy what the next chapter brings you. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL