Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Talk me out of a blackstone

so do it!! 
Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Nope. Love ours. My wife loves myobis. (I know spelled that wrong) yesterday was her birthday, she requested I cook rather than go there!!! Also, BREAKFAST!!!, smash burgers, Philly cheesesteaks,....
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    You could take that same money, and the ongoing propane money, and have a modest whiskey budget.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Go to a bar and ask them to talk you out of a beer.   :pensive:
  • How about I just buy one and also drink whiskey?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Buy a griddle and a pizza oven.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

• "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Love ours, use it more frequently than the egg because of time constraints with work, etc.  Had friends over this weekend and I did a double batch of Best Baked Beans Planet recipe on the egg for two hours, then had a buddy cook packs of hotdogs on the propane Weber, while I cooked a bunch of smash burgers on the Black Stone.  Earlier in the day, I cooked 2 pounds bacon for the beans on the black stone, and the house doesn't smell like grease.  LOL.  

As aforementioned, Philly steaks, real rice, as in boil the stuff, let cool overnight or at least a few hours, then throw on the black stone with diced, chicken, soy sauce, shrimp, cubed beef, onions, mushrooms, etc...  makes for a great pancake surface, hash browns, etc. 

So I would say don't buy one and cook the fried stuff inside with the windows closed and good luck putting together a bunch of burgers, dogs, and smoked beans, etc. with a finish time within five minutes of each other. 

So when you buy one, just DO NOT USE FLAX SEED to season the grill.  I bought in to some B.S. threads about how awesome flax seed oil is compared to the normal bacon, onions, potatoes, etc... seasoning routine that worked great on my cast iron pans.  What a terrible mistake I made, that stuff peeled off and I had to power wash off what I could and am close to getting it to a normal surface.  

Just treat is like a normal cast iron skillet and do nothing special and it will be great, just canola or olive oil, onions, potatoes, and bacon for the few first cooks.   
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Buy all of them. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ummm...don't do it, because, like, it rusts and stuff, and like, maybe you'll get divorced or something?  Plus, it uses stuff in tanks that's totally a bummer to get refilled.  Just don't do it, man.  It's totally not cool.
    edited June 2017
    And if you need another excuse to buy one and become the 'Cool Dude' of your cooking club, make a pizza on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3f8a2x8efs

And if you still can't get over that decision hump, think about baking bread on it.  REALLY COOL... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nqm26NHJ8 

Even NOLA will have to admit that baking New Orleans style French Bread on a griddle is pretty darn cool.

You're welcome.

Spring "It's Cooler Outside The Box" Chicken
    Covington Louisiana USA

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Hands down one of the top purchases I've made.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Why?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I find any "talk me out of..." threads here just a little bit disingenuous.  It makes me wonder if I can trust any of your posts.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Maybe don't get it if you're an idiot who is prone to leaning on hot surfaces?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The only issue is the size it takes up. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    It just fries food.  That's very unhealthy.  Bacon cooked on the BGE is much better for you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    Foghorn said:
    It just fries food.  That's very unhealthy.  Bacon cooked on the BGE is much better for you.
    If you can handle the conflagration. 
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Not going to happen here. I just got one a couple weeks ago and can not get enough. I love it. The only negative for me is I don't cook on my eggs as much any more. I'm sure that will change when there new wears off but seriously its awesome.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    You find yourself in a hole , but instead of a ladder, people on this forum are going to throw you a shovel and tell you about how good pit roasted pig is. Of course if you keep digging you might find the coin.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    used to get off the boat and fire up the egg for a nice ribeye seared and roasted. now i settle for a quick smash burger. thats either good or bad, hard to decide ;) thats a decision you have to make on your own =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I love my 17" which is just perfect for us. I have one drawback against it. I must clean the grease off and out of it after every use due to all the pesky raccoons in our woods. That means letting it cool down and cleaning before bringing it in. Then there are also the wood roaches that would be all over it when the coons finished! Living in the woods is cool, but there are facts of life to deal with.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2017
    Foghorn said:
    That's true, pretty much, with the proteins, but I remind that veggies can be steamed.

Also, a cooling rack on the cooler side can be a resting zone for meats while some of the excess oils/grease drain.  To a degree, that even works with the dreaded bacon.

Additionally, depending on what you read [and trust], safflower oil may be somewhat healthier than other oils more commonly mentioned here.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    A cooling rack is a pretty slick idea @Sardonicus
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    May as welll start a thread talking you out of sex.

Phoenix 
  • You find yourself in a hole , but instead of a ladder, people on this forum are going to throw you a shovel and tell you about how good pit roasted pig is. Of course if you keep digging you might find the coin.
    Agreed. That's why I came on here to ask. You all seem to enable very easily. And I get validation on my addiction. One reason I'm as big as a whale. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2017
    blasting said:

LOL
    To be clear, "sex" tops "griddling" and "grilling" in any poll!
    Even Rasmussen's.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blasting said:

Thought about it. But the folks on here are extremely detailed most of the time. 

I can probably sell her on the blackstone. But not the sex. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited June 2017
    My wife just bought me these for my birthday. I think she's trying to talk me into a Blackstone. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie