Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg'd Meal In Our Temporary House

Options
It wasn't that long ago that we wouldn't have given a second thought to cooking dinner on one of the six Big Green Eggs in The Coop. 

But now that we've sold our home of 29 years, are down to 3 Eggs, and moved to Louisiana to start a new life, we had to give serious thought as to how we could cook on one of those Eggs that had been soaked to the core with the relentless rain. It needed a slow drying out. But where to cook on it once we were ready was the question. 

My Sweetie suggested we clean out the porch fireplace at our temporary cottage and put it there. Her idea worked. But it took a very long time to slow bake the wet ceramic until it was ready for a hot fire. Six hours later I reloaded some new lump and we were on our way. 

This is the story of tonight's dinner. And I must say, it was well worth the preparation effort to cook it. 

https://youtu.be/ULft2__ZCEA 

From the comfort of Duhe Cottage, we wait. But having an Egg to wait with us makes life easier. 

Spring "Fire In The Egg In The Fireplace" Chicken 
Covington Louisiana USA

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing. We look forward to more.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Nice post Leroy! Not being a fan of high humidity like I thought you had there in Spring, nor spirit dampening (for me anyway) rain is there that much difference? I'm serious - I'm really just asking.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm new to the forum so don't know much about anyone on here but it looks like you and the wife are living legends on here. Really enjoyed the slideshow of your first "temporary house" cook. Kind of cool to see the process happening step by step
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    CincyEgg said:
    I'm new to the forum so don't know much about anyone on here but it looks like you and the wife are living legends on here. Really enjoyed the slideshow of your first "temporary house" cook. Kind of cool to see the process happening step by step
    "Living legends..."  Naaaa!  We just do what most real Eggheads do - talk up the Egg to complete strangers wherever we find them until they threaten to call the Police on us LOL...  But thanks.  You will quickly find that you are among friends here and on the GreenEggers forum as well.  As 'friends' we know that you will get more enjoyment out of your Egg if you continue to be enthusiastic about it.  And your enthusiasm increases each time you learn something new you can do on the Egg.  You'll see.  Take advantage of what your new friends can offer,  and attend a few Eggfests in your area.  Then you will know you found a new home in EGGdome.

Spring "Slow Down Leroy, You're Talking Egg'n Again" Chicken
    Covington Louisiana USA

• CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    Spring Chicken said: "Living legends..."  Naaaa!  We just do what most real Eggheads do - talk up the Egg to complete strangers wherever we find them until they threaten to call the Police on us LOL...  But thanks.  You will quickly find that you are among friends here and on the GreenEggers forum as well.  As 'friends' we know that you will get more enjoyment out of your Egg if you continue to be enthusiastic about it.  And your enthusiasm increases each time you learn something new you can do on the Egg.  You'll see.  Take advantage of what your new friends can offer,  and attend a few Eggfests in your area.  Then you will know you found a new home in EGGdome.

Covington Louisiana USA

Yeah, I have yet to see a more encouraging forum than this site offers. The experienced Eggers share advice with the newbies like me who usually have to screw something up to find out the right way to do it. I think I may take you up on the eggfest advice. There's a couple small ones around me in the next couple months.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The temporary digs look great!  And Dayum, for what looks like about the simplest cook possible on a Big Green Egg, that looked really good!

I'm also curious about your wife's rice and gravy, particularly the gravy.  I thought "rice and gravy" was made from some kind of roasted meat.  What little I saw of that gravy looked good!  How did she make it?

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I used to absolutely LOVE a commercial seasoned rice-in-a-box package called "Paul Prudhomme's Opelousa's Rice and Gravy."  It was very simple, but the flavors I absolutely loved, and I wish I knew how to make it from scratch.  They don't sell it anymore.  I've thought about making a dark roux and just adding that to some rice to cook, or maybe cooks the Cajun "trinity" in the roux and adding that, but, especially knowing how Paul Prudhomme's recipes always had a zillion seasonings in them, I'm sure it wasn't that simple, and he probably had a particular mix of spices in that stuff.  Oh well.  I guess it's "the one that got away."  If anybody here has a copycat recipe for that stuff, I'd sure love to try it.

Anyway, congratulations on the new temporary digs and a great looking meal! Glad to have you back!!!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Theophan said:

I'm also curious about your wife's rice and gravy, particularly the gravy.  I thought "rice and gravy" was made from some kind of roasted meat.  What little I saw of that gravy looked good!  How did she make it?

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I used to absolutely LOVE a commercial seasoned rice-in-a-box package called "Paul Prudhomme's Opelousa's Rice and Gravy."  It was very simple, but the flavors I absolutely loved, and I wish I knew how to make it from scratch.  They don't sell it anymore.  I've thought about making a dark roux and just adding that to some rice to cook, or maybe cooks the Cajun "trinity" in the roux and adding that, but, especially knowing how Paul Prudhomme's recipes always had a zillion seasonings in them, I'm sure it wasn't that simple, and he probably had a particular mix of spices in that stuff.  Oh well.  I guess it's "the one that got away."  If anybody here has a copycat recipe for that stuff, I'd sure love to try it.

Thanks.  As for the rice and gravy, she uses Louisiana Cajun Brown Gravy mix.  Here's the link if you can't find it in your store: https://store.louisianafishfry.com/products/miscellaneous-and-gifts/la-fish-fry-brown-gravy-mix.html

Lots of stores sell Louisiana products, but not all carry the Brown Gravy mix. But you can order it on line.  Order multiple bags because you'll be wanting more pretty quickly.

All of their products are good, but you may also want to check out their cobbler mix.

As for the rice, we Cajun Country Popcorn Rice.  https://cajuncountryrice.com/  
    It has a pecan flavor when mixed with salted butter.  I can eat it raw it's so good, but the gravy just enhances it.  You'll be sopping up the last of the gravy with the back of your finger.

And here's the recipe for Paul Prudhomme's gravy.  https://chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=160

Hope this helps.

Spring "Why Do I Suddenly Want Some Gravy" Chicken

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Leroy, careful with the fireplace egging. I used to do it in my living room, until I kept reading about how charcoal puts out far more CO than just a wood burning fire. Too bad. Sure was nice in the dead of winter... or in the rain.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CincyEgg said:
    Spring Chicken said: "Living legends..."  Naaaa!  We just do what most real Eggheads do - talk up the Egg to complete strangers wherever we find them until they threaten to call the Police on us LOL...  But thanks.  You will quickly find that you are among friends here and on the GreenEggers forum as well.  As 'friends' we know that you will get more enjoyment out of your Egg if you continue to be enthusiastic about it.  And your enthusiasm increases each time you learn something new you can do on the Egg.  You'll see.  Take advantage of what your new friends can offer,  and attend a few Eggfests in your area.  Then you will know you found a new home in EGGdome.

Covington Louisiana USA

Yeah, I have yet to see a more encouraging forum than this site offers. The experienced Eggers share advice with the newbies like me who usually have to screw something up to find out the right way to do it. I think I may take you up on the eggfest advice. There's a couple small ones around me in the next couple months.
    Don't worry, you can still screw things up, just the odds are more on your side if you read up on here first.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Leroy, careful with the fireplace egging. I used to do it in my living room, until I kept reading about how charcoal puts out far more CO than just a wood burning fire. Too bad. Sure was nice in the dead of winter... or in the rain.

Thanks for the advice, but this was in the porch fireplace.  All open and well ventilated. I mentioned it in the closing statement.

Spring "Hole On The Other Side Of The Wall" Chicken

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... As for the rice and gravy, she uses Louisiana Cajun Brown Gravy mix.  ... As for the rice, we Cajun Country Popcorn Rice... It has a pecan flavor when mixed with salted butter.  I can eat it raw it's so good, but the gravy just enhances it.... And here's the recipe for Paul Prudhomme's gravy.  https://chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=160
    THANKS for the information!  I definitely will try those!  (I'd already found the last link to Paul Prudhomme's recipe, and it's not the same as the Opelousas Rice and Gravy boxed package because the recipe starts with roast pork, and there was no meat in the boxed rice product's ingredient list.  It still sounds fantastic and I'm going to try it one of these days.

I'd never heard of the other products you mentioned, and I'm definitely going to try them -- thanks again!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You found somewhere with more humidity than Houston?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Duhe cottage? I went to college w a guy named Chad Duhe.  I think he was from Thibodaux LA.   Congrats on getting things set up and running.   Nice job. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You found somewhere with more humidity than Houston?
    Actually, it's the Dewpoint that makes life so miserable. In both Houston and here, we've had 75° dewpoints with 57% humidity and everyone was soaked to the skin with their own sweat.  But a 75% humidity with a 60° dewpoint is quite pleasant.  What we have here right now is the worst of both, mixed with drenching rain and not enough rum to ride it out.

We'll get used to it.  Have to....

Spring "Rum Heals Leaky Sweat Glands" Chicken

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Great video. Also watched the "our home" video, what a beautiful home you just sold. Man I bet that was work packing everything up in boxes. Looking forward to seeing your new home. 
    Snellville, GA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I dig the new digs. Seems like a pleasant place to hole up until you move into the new house. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Duhe cottage? I went to college w a guy named Chad Duhe.  I think he was from Thibodaux LA.   Congrats on getting things set up and running.   Nice job. 
    I'll ask around.

Spring "I Don't Kneaux" Chicken