Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poor man eggers dilemma

Options
So I need some advice here........  Do I continue to invest money into my LBGE (Smokeware cap, nice gasket, ANOTHER CGS stone, cast iron grates......... list could go on and on) or do I start to look for a second used egg on CL. I'm thinking a small in the $250 range. Further more how the heck do I convince my wife I need a second egg?
2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK

Comments

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    ^ what he said
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    @dmchicago I like it. Didn't want to list all the accessories I have for the large. Feel like I can pretty much do any cook I want with what I have, but there's always room for more right......  or a second used egg
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    My second was fairly simple, had a XL at home and found a pristine L for the Lakehouse. Now the M was a little more difficult! 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I added a MMX to my XL and use it a lot now.  Lump consumption is right down, the MMX uses a lot less for smaller cooks.  Should be some kind of man maths where you can justify that.
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    @Eoin by my man math calculation I coming up with a third egg........  a mini just because it would look cool sitting next to a small and large.  :) 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I would go with the used BGE (or one new from an eggfest).  You have  more flexibility with cooking styles/temps options.  But your $$ and your environment.  
    Wherever you land, "don't look back, somethin' might be gainin' on ya."  (Satchel P{Paige).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    When my wife was chastising me about why I needed a second egg, I asked her why she needed a double oven. I never heard another word about it. 
    Kay is going to ask Marissa about this!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    @Eoin by my man math calculation I coming up with a third egg........  a mini just because it would look cool sitting next to a small and large.  :) 
    And then a medium to fill in the gap.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Skip all that and just buy a black stone for your second weapon
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    @lousubcap I looked into a small at demo price here in the Oklahoma City area. No dice. We just had okie eggfest here at Tony's Tree Plantation. It was awesome. I want to cook in it next year. Smallest size they had was medium for demo eggs. I don't know of any other fests in the area. Set my CL search settings just now so I get updates for anything within 200 miles. We shall see what comes around..............
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Skip all that and just buy a black stone for your second weapon
    There's an idea
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Just keep showing up with them. She won't leave, the food's too good. @SoCalSooner where you at? I'm at the 405 & 22.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    @td66snrf  looks like a dream I had one time. That's incredible!!!  How many total, 5?  I see the little guy hiding back there. I wish we were still anywhere close to the 405. We are back in Oklahoma............  While we were in CA we were in the Point Loma area right outside downtown SD. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm lucky - back in 2000 my wife and I bought our first egg together - the large. I won't say I mastered it quickly, but with enthusiasm and help from eggers I quickly got good enough to take over many of the nightly cooking. In fact she liked the results so much that over the next 5 years she surprised me with our S, M & Mini on my birthdays. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    @RRP thats awesome. Egg at my house is pretty much one man show. Wife is just interested with the end result and not the process. I have taken on A TON of the nightly cooking lately. We are expecting kiddo number 4 any day. Wife is hanging out with the feet up while I "slave away" with my hobby in the back yard. Win win I say. I'll be looking to you guys for some new recipes in the very near future to keep things interesting while I continue to cook the majority of meals for the fam.  
  • td66snrf
    Options
    @SoCalSooner Now I get the sooner part. Yeah there's five of them. The small one in the back is actually a Vision Grill Kub. I bought two of them when Costco had a  close out on them a couple of years ago. I do have a mini in the garage. 
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    @td66snrf What did you replace the shelves with on the nest?

That is a nice collection!
  • td66snrf
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Froman I  don't believe they're available any more but those are all BGE composite shelves "mates". I think the new ones are rectangular. And thanks for the compliment. It took me a few years. 
  • InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I went the Kettle route as there are yet no used Eggs here and a new one is a lot of money.
    For extra cooking area specially for hot and fast and the side dishes while the juicy main dish was cooking inside the XL a Kettle may  suffice.