Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Any Blackstone owners use Blue Rhino exchange tanks?: OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
Just saw a Lowes ad of $14.82 for a 15 pounder. Seems cheap, but honestly I do not know - is there a deposit on the tank?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Not if you leave your empty tank with them. It is an exchange program although you can buy the 15# filled tanks from them outright if you have no current tank to turn in.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • RRP
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Not if you leave your empty tank with them. It is an exchange program although you can buy the 15# filled tanks from them outright if you have no current tank to turn in.
    Thanks - like how much? I still would like one of those camper-style 4.25 pounders but I just can't pull the trigger for the ridiculous 50 bucks!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just saw a Lowes ad of $14.82 for a 15 pounder. Seems cheap, but honestly I do not know - is there a deposit on the tank?
    Ron, you buy the initial tank and then turn it in when empty. The buy in price varies from place to place. It's usually somewhere between 29.99 - 49.99. 
    After that you simply swap the empty tank for a full one and pay the current price of propane whatever it may be. 
    There are several companies doing the tank exchanges now. Blue Rhino, Amerigas, Uni Flame come right to mind. Also from what I have seen, they all take each other's tank. If you have a Blue Rhino you can turn it in at Amerigas, etc, etc.
    Our local Piggly Wiggly carries the Uni Flame brand. They are usually a little cheaper than Blue Rhino and Amerigas. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    Ron, you buy the initial tank and then turn it in when empty. The buy in price varies from place to place. It's usually somewhere between 29.99 - 49.99. 
    After that you simply swap the empty tank for a full one and pay the current price of propane whatever it may be. 
    There are several companies doing the tank exchanges now. Blue Rhino, Amerigas, Uni Flame come right to mind. Also from what I have seen, they all take each other's tank. If you have a Blue Rhino you can turn it in at Amerigas, etc, etc.
    Our local Piggly Wiggly carries the Uni Flame brand. They are usually a little cheaper than Blue Rhino and Amerigas. 

Thanks - and to think I gave away 2 full 22 pounders years ago when I got my first egg!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The new empty tanks are often available at Costco and Sam's Club, for less than what most Lowes/HD/grocery stores charge.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Find a $5 tank on Craigslist, then go exchange it.  That's what I did.   It's Amazing how cheap propane refills are getting these days.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The exchange is a great way to trade in your old crappy rusty tanks. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    you need connections, i probably have 3, maybe more if i looked around. the dump probably has a pile of them. ive never bought one. they come on free gas grills, i have a couple of those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Remember if you're looking for a memorable shutoff valve location, @northGAcock can help you out. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have taken ones I find on trash piles and trade them in for blue rhino, even out of date tanks with old style valves. I really like free!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I have about 5 propane tanks.  I use one for my weed burner and 3 for other products.  I fill them up at Costco or Uhaul and it definitely works out cheaper than the exchange programs.  Less convenient, but definitely cheaper.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    ron, just take a walk around the neighborhood and ask around, they take pretty much anything for an exchange. someone has a couple old ones in the shed that they dont know what to do with. just looked behind my dumpster here at work and theres a couple under the old trailer that were disposed of there. made a couple woodstoves from them a few years ago and now theres more.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Less convenient, but definitely cheaper.
    Agree, it's definitely cheaper but less convenient. Most of the time that I run out of propane is at night when you can't get them filled. It's nice to be able to run to Piggly Wiggly, Walmart, etc, etc and grab a tank. It's definitely the convenience that justifies the end, not the price. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    Less convenient, but definitely cheaper.
    Agree, it's definitely cheaper but less convenient. Most of the time that I run out of propane is at night when you can't get them filled. It's nice to be able to run to Piggly Wiggly, Walmart, etc, etc and grab a tank. It's definitely the convenience that justifies the end, not the price. 

Yep! I am usually halfway through cooking breakfast or dinner on the blackstone when i run out.  I grab my spare, and that is out too!  Off I go to exchange at the closest gas station to keep breakfast or dinner rolling!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options
    ron, just take a walk around the neighborhood and ask around, they take pretty much anything for an exchange. someone has a couple old ones in the shed that they dont know what to do with. just looked behind my dumpster here at work and theres a couple under the old trailer that were disposed of there. made a couple woodstoves from them a few years ago and now theres more.

good idea! With the 4th coming up and all the stores advertising new gassers, I bet someone in the neighborhood will be kicking an old gasser's butt to the curb before then! I'll grab a Cresent wrench and become one of a "trashers" who scour our streets ahead of the garbage truck! B)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I used to exchange out my 20lb propane tank for my weed burner since it only needed to be replaced every 1.5 years.

Now with the Blackstone I get them filled at the local gas station. It seems like I'm getting my two 20lb tanks for my Blackstone filled once a month. I can't complain as it's only $26 for two tanks. 

I just listed 12 empty 1# Coleman propane bottles on Craigslist this afternoon. Dang portable weed burner.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Remember if you're looking for a memorable shutoff valve location, @northGAcock can help you out. 
    LOL.....put it where you need it. Kind of a solution to perhaps a problem very few have.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I have 7 tanks at my place.  Outdoor heaters, Blackstone 36" and 17" (for the RV), gas fire pit and weed burner are my usage.  I have accumulated them over the years.  I have them filled at the local hardware store and find it much cheaper than going the exchange route.  Also if I found one out of date that they won't fill, I just exchange it through the Blue Rhino deal and I am good to go for another few years.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • RRP
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I used to exchange out my 20lb propane tank for my weed burner since it only needed to be replaced every 1.5 years.

Now with the Blackstone I get them filled at the local gas station. It seems like I'm getting my two 20lb tanks for my Blackstone filled once a month. I can't complain as it's only $26 for two tanks. 

I just listed 12 empty 1# Coleman propane bottles on Craigslist this afternoon. Dang portable weed burner.
    Huh? Those empty 1 pound bombs have value? I've pitched 4 in the trash already! 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:

They might. They do sell adapters so they can be refilled from a 20lb propane tank so there might be some demand for them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I have about 5 propane tanks.  I use one for my weed burner and 3 for other products.  I fill them up at Costco or Uhaul and it definitely works out cheaper than the exchange programs.  Less convenient, but definitely cheaper.
    And these are actually 20 lb tanks, not 15. If you have them filled you will get 20+ lbs of gas for way less than the 15lb exchange price. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    I do exchange some but agree it is better to get filled at our local welding shop, get more gas for a lower price
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I exchange a lot too for the sake of convenience but try to fill when
    i can.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    100#
    Options
    100#
    Of anus?

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Of yo momma!
    SGH said:
    100#
    Of anus?
    That is a $hit ton of anus
  • SGH
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ron, for the sake of accuracy I add an addendum here. Above I said "Uni Flame", however that was inaccurate. Upon farther review it is actually Mighty Flame that Piggly Wiggly carries. Just thought I would rectify the error.  

Status- Standing by.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    SGH said:
    100#
    Of anus?
    That is a $hit ton of anus
    How much does a $hit ton weigh? That's always been the debate in Indiana
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:

HeavyG nailed it. They can be refilled with an adapter. I'm keeping 6 of them. I have had interest in them already on Craigslist 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota