Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook time for two 8LB butts

Options

I have two butts that total just under 16 lbs.  I should be able to fit them side by side on my LBGE.   I've seen estimates suggesting 1.5 hrs/pound.  Using that math, that comes to 24 hours, and that doesn't pass the sniff test.  Since each butt is around 8lbs, using 1.5 hrs/pound, that's only 12 hours, and that seems low. 

I would certainly appreciated the collective wisdom of this forum to give me some guidance.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    At 250° dome temp, 1.5-2 hrs per pound for one butt. So 12-16 hrs total, whether you have 1 butt or 4. If you bump it to 300-350°, it should take as little as 45 min per pound.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I have two 9 pound butts on right now. They have been on for 4 hours now at 225* and the internal temps are at 135* for one and 123* for the other. 

The Maverick probe show the temp near the first but is running at 235* so that is why one has a higher IT.

This is for tomorrow's pool party so I am not worried about how long it takes.

You can see the cook here: https://myflameboss.com/cooks/104842

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Two things as mentioned above; the cook temp determines the cook rate and the two will cook in about the same time frame as one butt.  Also, the smaller one may decide to take longer than the larger one.  Check each one as you get close.  Bone pulls clean is the best finish-line indicator for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

These times reflect commonly reported cook times from other discussions on this forum.

For your cook you have two eight pounders, not a 16 pounder.  Use timing for 8 pounds.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  As of 0730 CDT, I had one butt at 160 and another at 180.  I should be good for serving around 4-5PM, after a comfortable rest wrapped in towels in the cooler.