Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plans for large egg workstation?

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i heard that there are plans online for building a workstation for the large BGE (holds the egg up off the ground, has space for accessories, etc.).[p]i found some photos of what i'm looking for at nakedwhiz.com, but am looking for more specific plans with dimensions. i'm woodworking challenged. :-)[p]can anyone point me to what i'm after? thanks very much!

Comments

• Grillicious
    Options
    tom, you were already there, you must have just missed it. The Naked Whiz's site also has step by step plans/photos of him building his cart.

[ul][li]How To Build A Cart [/ul]
  • tom,
    I printed out some plans that I got on the BGE web site. Here is the address. www.biggreenegg.com/table-plan.htm

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    tom,
    I found TNW photo essay invaluable in building my table.
    Additionally, before you ask I'd recommend using a good outdoor wood (Cedar, Teak, Mahogany, etc) finished with a clear watersealer. If you can get one with good UV protection, that's best.[p]Also, I'd recommend getting your wood at a lumberyard as you will have a better selection. You have noted that you are woodworking challenged so do like I did and use 1x4 decking and 2x4 stock. They cut my 1x4's in 4'-0" lengths at no additional charge (home Depot charges for every cut) so everything fit in my Honda Accord with no problem.[p](NOTE: When they cut it in 4'-0" lengths, it's not exact- you still have to cut them to the desired length)[p]Good luck and have fun with it (don't rush)!

[ul][li]Table Dimensions[/ul]
  • Tom
    Options
    thanks -- great info, quick responses![p]i'm putting the cart before the egg, that is, i'm going to get the "nest" built first.[p]thanks again!
  • Tom
    Options
    one follow up question about the wood ...[p]teak would be very, very expensive, and cedar ain't cheap.[p]what about treated pine like folks use for decks? or that "artificial wood" stuff now used for decks (i forgot the name but think it starts with a T).[p]thanks again!
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    tom,
    I built my table first too. Built it out of mahogany and, FWIW, the wood cost $136.00.[p]I don't think I'd build it from that trex decking, which is also expensive. You probably can build it out of pine, but make sure it's the right pine. Check with a local lumber yard and see what they would recommend you use for building outdoor furniture. [p]The egg is heavy so you want the table to be heavy-duty. If the wood is too lightweight, I could see it getting rickety fairly easily.[p]Also- I used gorilla glue for all the connections in addition to deck screws. Gorilla glue is good, strong stuff and readily available.[p]I figured I wanted to do it once, do it right and make something that will last. My craftsmanship is nowhere near the league of TNW, but it still came out pretty good.[p]

• Tom
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]those are really excellent suggestions. i'll take them to heart. $150 for a quality table, done once, is well worth it.[p]thanks again!